40 REPLIES 40

Re: Just be diagnosed halloween

Glad you had good outcome.

Xxx

Sorry to hear about other issues

Community Champion

I am 2 years post diagnosis now Lucia .I have some other health issues that are causing me challenges at the moment but as far as breast cancer is concerned I have had a good outcome.

Thanks Jill I will. 

What stage u at now Jill. 

How are you

Community Champion

Keep posting Lucia ,you will get lots of support here.

Lol.ex wife came up when I hit post instead of ezzie didn't notice. 

Lol

Alex Helena,ex-wife sue Jill

Thank you. 

Emotional part so hard sue.

I bet you cannot believe a year has passed. And your waiting on tests.

Thinking of you. 

So glad your recovering well..
X

Thank you so much ladies for response 

I will go on the sight recommended thank you.

So reassuring and informative you all have been.

Best wishes to you all.

Lucia x

Hi Lucia

I had a very similar diagnosis as you - 50mm high grade DCIS.  I had a skin sparing mastectomy in May of this year with a temporary implant inserted to save my skin.  I wasn’t a good candidate for immediate reconstruction due to another minor medical condition.  I chose a mastectomy over lumpectomy because I am risk adverse and the size of my DCIS would have left me needing some form of reconstruction anyway.  Surgery has been my only treatment.

I had reconstruction using my abdomen two weeks ago tomorrow and am recovering really well.  I hope I haven’t jinxed anything by saying that now!  I have found dealing with the emotional impacts far worse than the physical recovery.

Please ask away if there is anything else I can help with - either here or by direct message.

Ezzie

x

Hello Lucia, one of the first things you look for when you're diagnosed is information so I thought I'd share my experience. I had suffered repeated bouts of mastitis but mammograms were clear and I had no lumps. Thankfully a female doctor at a breast clinic decided to do a biopsy and then I had an MRI . The result was I had 11.5 cm of high grade dcis. This was diagnosed last Dec. And I had mastectomy and sentinel node removed in Jan, node was clear so I haven't needed any other treatment or drugs. I wasn't given the option of immediate reconstruction as the consultant thought that radiotherapy was likely (it turned out not needed)I found the emotional healing took a lot longer than the physical and now a year has gone by I'm starting the rounds of check-up tests and waiting for results again, but I feel much stronger than I did last year. I've had my tests and surgeries at 3 different hospitals in Kent and all the staff have been brilliant. I wish you well in any treatment you have. Good Luck ,Sue.

Community Champion

Lucia

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis but as you say you are going to be treated which is reassuring.

There is a thread

https://forum.breastcancercare.org.uk/t5/DCIS-LCIS/DCIS-and-IDC/m-p/1154619#M6447 which is DCIS/IDC

which you could also try as there may well be ladies on there who were diagnosed with high grade DCIS.

Sending you hugs

Helena xxx

Community Champion

Lucia - may be worth posting a new thread with the title high grade DCIS - experiences please or similar - people may not pick up from the title of your post what you would like information about .

I got my results. 

I have high grade Dcis

Would be so grateful if anyone here can share their experiences of that with,me.

I have to go back next Wednesday with decision whether to have implant or not. I have ruled out the other option removal off skin.

Everyone at clinic and consultant were so kind and nice. As you all rightly said my mind has been put at ease to know something is being done.

But would so appreciate if any off you or your friends on here could post to me if this was your diagnosis or similar.

Thanks so so so much.

Lucia

Thanks.

Xxx

Community Champion

Lucia

You should get the results from the biopsies which they will go through with you and they will give you a treatment plan, which will set out what is going to happen and when, dates etc., 

When I had mine my breast care nurse, who was in the room when the consultant gave me my diagnosis, took me and my friend to another room where she went through it again in laymans language explaining what it all meant.  She was very reassuring  and was a great support throughout my treatment.

Got eveyrthing crossed for you xxxx

9.30am.

What should I except at this appointment.

Lucia

Community Champion

What time is your appointment ?

Thank you all so much.

Lucia
Community Champion

Good luck with your appointment Lucia .Its such a horrible anxious time .Let us know how you get on .

I am extremely anxious at the minute and teary . I have appointment tomorrow and am sick with nerves.

Mind is racing ...

I too work in an office 40hours per week office manager .

I pray to get some kind of hope tomorrow that will lift this anxiety a  little bit.  I swing between thinking the worse and thinking I get not the worst news.

My appetite is now gone completely  and feeling off dread is engulfing me .

Lucia

Community Champion

Lucia

Mine was a grade 1, tubular bc, 17mm and hormone receptor positive.  I had my op in October last year, I had six weeks off afterwards, I wanted to go back sooner but my boss would not let me.  I went back at the end of November doing 4 hours a day 3 days a week which I did all through my radiotherapy which i finished in January this year.  I started back to my normal 25 hours a week in February this year.

I would say though that I do an office job which is not at all stressful or manual so it was easy for me.

Helena xx

Oh and grade 2

1.7cm invasive ductal carcinoma ER+ PR+ HER2- with other areas of small invasive hence mastectomy. No chemo (as lymph nodes clear) and no radiotherapy (because had mastectomy) and daily Tamoxifen for 5 years.

Can I ask you ladies what was your diagnosis and treatment was.

Two more days to go.

Lucia

Diagnosed Dec 2016 - went off sick as couldn’t face work (i’m a midwife and didn’t feel safe when my head was elsewhere). Mastectomy 1st Feb 2017, no other treatment needed (other than daily Tamoxifen tablet) and went back to work 3rd April

Also great to hear your back at work.

With such major surgery and whatever treatment you all have faced was wondering how long did it take for any ladies to get back to work.

Xx

Thanks ALex 

In my head I was thinking two areas.

Lucia

Don’t worry about having the two areas (I had 10 lumps! 😳) all gone now thanks to the mastectomy 😘

Lol.@big pants.

All I was told at breast clinic was .

Cancer found in two arrears left Breast (That's worried me two areas).

Doctor there just said its 2cm and there is 2 of them.

Masectomy will be offered .

Appointment Wednesday.

While at clinic at that day. Had another mammogram scan and biopsy with needle taken. Then brought in for the results  and that is what she said.. 

The breadt cancer nurse was there give me her card to ring her. But haven't so far. 

Lucia

Community Champion

Hi Lucia,

Quite a few of us had no palpable lump or symptoms, it certainly hit me between the eyes when diagnosed!

Do you know what type of bc it is yet?  Most of us have an invasive ductal bc,  but the other common type- lobular bc, is I understand, more diffuse & does not necessarily present as a lump. Both are treated the same. 

It will get better when the plan is in place & you know where you’re going with it all, we’ve all felt the way you are feeling now at this stage. 

Obviously, your kids are in shock as well at the mo, but this does pass. 

Please don’t torture yourself about it or the ‘what ifs,’ it’s a fairly common diagnosis to get & the most important thing is that it has now been diagnosed, so it can now be dealt with. 

ann x

Community Champion

lucia

Just wanted to send you a hug, once you get your treatment plan on Wednesday you will be able to share it with your kids which hopefully will give them comfort that their mum will be treated and very soon come out the other end of her journey. 

I remember when I got mine, it was good that I could tell people what was going to happen and when, as wel as giving me confidence that this was very treatable and I would be the other side of it, it also gave it to them.

Here's a pair of the special strictly tough pants for you on Wednesday, we will all be there beside you

Helena xxxsparkly pants.jpg

I told my children. Obviously devastated .

They are 26 23 21

That was awful.

Work only knows I have more tests to get done haven't told them nothing more.

Couldn't stand the pity etc. Will tell them when I have too.but I know they will be supportive.

I am very up and down. 

But now understand what people mean about getting treatment plan. Fingers crossed I am giving bit of hope something to say right this is not end off world

I really can't get my head round no lump no symptoms but then reading on web etc realise that's not always the case. Then I am second guessing saying but with a lump I would have knew something was there and went seen about it Versus how long is this in my body and I haven't known.

I am torturing myself. But I will say this forum has been such a help already in calming me down before Wednesday..

At least I know I can post what  am I told and the ladies on here can tell me what's what.

Spoiler
Heart

Thanks again for your replies.

Lucia

Hi Lucia - the same happened to me. Found a 2cm lump and then more tiny ones on MRI on left breast. I was a B cup and had a mastectomy in February. I had an implant at the same time. I can honestly say yep it was horrendous in the early days of diagnosis, waiting for results etc but i’m now back at work and living life as it was before. There’s always going to be breast cancer in the back of my mind but I think that’s something we all have to learn to live with. Keep positive - there’s light at the end of the tunnel
Community Champion

Hi Lucia,

There are certainly others with a similar diagnosis to yours, however, dealing with this & the treatment involved is common to all of us, so do come & chat whenever you want to. 

I was also diagnosed after my second routine mammo, but did not need a mastectomy. 

The early days of diagnosis tend to be the most stressful, as getting diagnosed is a shock & there’s a lot to get our heads around, but it does get better when the treatment plan is confirmed & you know where you’re going with it all. 

It is reassuring that treatment for bc is excellent now & has some of the best outcomes there are.

ann x

Hopefully someone will read and share something similar as to what's happening with me.

Never been on a forum before so it's a start for me. 

X

Thank you so much for replies

X

Community Champion

Lucia

I also wanted to say hi and welcome to the forum.

You will receive lots of help and support from all the lovely ladies on here.

Sending best wishes

Sue xx

Community Champion

Lucia

I have not had the same diagnosis as you but I wanted to welcome you to club that no one really wants to belong to. There are a lot of ladies on here who have had a mastectomy so you will get loads of help and support from them as you go through your journey.

When you go n Wednesday you will no doubt get your treatment plan which will set everything out and you will be able to ask your consultant any questions you might have.  Are you taking someone with you to the appointment, it would be a good idea as they will be another pair of ears for you, it is amazing what we miss as the patient as there is so much to take in.

Come on here whenever you need any support, just want to rant and rave, there will always be someone on here who will be able to help

Sending you a hug

Helena xx

Just be diagnosed halloween

Hi all.

Have been reading through all your posts which have helped me greatly.

Such wonderful people on here truly inspiring.

I had first routine mammogram 2 and half years ago was all clear.

Went for my next one got recalled . Went back Halloween 2017 ,they done more mammograms scan and biopsy found two 2cm tumours in my left breast . Doctor in clinic told me I will need masectomy as my breast is small A cup.

Have appointment to see consultant on Wednesday.

This is all I know so far.

Wondering anyone had this diagnosis to start and what that turned out for them etc.

Obviously I am in shock devastated then go to stage don't think it's real up and down . Thinking the worst hoping for best.

Any advice similar diagnosis would be so appreciated by any off you fantastic women.

Lucia