Just been diagnosed

Just been diagnosed with grade 2 breast cancer and need a mastectomy
Choosing what type of reconstruction is difficult
wondering if anyone has any advice as my mind is all over the place

Hi Susan

First of all, sorry that you have been diagnosed with cancer and find yourself here, but it really is the best place to be under the circumstances.  I was diagnosed in November, and had left breast masectomy with immediate reconstruction.  Because I’m quite skinny, there wasn’t enough excess fat on me for anything other than a silicone implant.  I think it is quicker to recover from, as there is just the one operation site.   I was surprised at the time because originally I was told that I wouldn’t be able to have immediate reconstruction if I needed radiotherapy - but I did and I’m having radiotherapy in a few weeks (I’ve needed to have chemotheraphy aswell) and noone seems concerned about my reconstruction!!

I’m quite happy with it - I’m small breasted (A cup) and it does look different from my right breast, but only with no clothes on.  Its neat and the scar is neat.  I was shown photos of women with all the different types of reconstruction, and it was the one I preferred.  I would ask to see photos too (although I did find this strange, sat with my husband, looking at different reconstructions!)  

What does it feel like - well it doesn’t feel natural, it feels like a tennis ball has been strapped to my chest at times! Especially at the beginning!  But then taking account side effects of chemotherapy, I’m not expecting it to be feeling very natural just yet.  I’m used to it now though and I think it was the right decision for me.

I hope this is of some help.  Good luck!  

Kim xxx

Hi Susan

Sorry you have had to join us.

I had a skin saving mastectomy with immediate implant (22/3) using the braxon technique. This is a relatively new procedure and appears less invasive than using your own tissue.  I am happy wiht the results and will be even happier once chemo/radiotherapy out of the way and I can get my left breast reduced to match my nice new pert one.  I was a G cup my implant is about a c/d cup.

I recovered well from the mastectomy and am back at work well until tomorrow as Chemo starting Wed.

You will find this forum a great sense of comfort.

I was very much guided by my surgeon re surgery and reconstruction.

Lou x 

Thanks for your advice not used a forum before so something else to get used to X

Thanks for your advice X

Hi Susan,

I’m another one who has an implant. Like Kim, I’m pretty slender and they would have had a job to get enough flesh to make a new boob of an equal size. My implant is with strattice mesh. I did not need radiotherapy in the end but when I asked if it came to that my surgeon said “if there is any damage we can do it again.” From talking to other people here and in real life it would seem that certain surgeons have preferences based on their own expertise. Mine was an early adopter of the strattice implant technique and a big advocate. I have to say that while I’d rather have my old boob back the end result has been far better than I’d hoped for. Aesthetically it looks pretty good. There is little feeling though which I do miss but after eight months it is definitely a little softer and I’m a lot less aware of it now. For me, having it done at the time of the mastectomy really helped me psychologically with the rest of my treatment.

Hope you reach your decision soon. Good luck with it all.

Ruth xx

Hi Susan this is my first post so we’re in it together. Diagnosed on the 12 th April with stage 2, triple positive. Have to have a sentinel biopsy on the 5th May followed by a mastectomy and a strattice tissue matrix reconstruction on the 11th May. Then chemo and 12 months of Herceptin. I didn’t have a lot of time to make the decision re reconstruction, but followed the advice of my consultant. It’s his area of expertise not mine. Still don’t know how I feel but know it’ll be a positive outcome despite a tricky journey along the way. Thought long and hard about joining something like this ( wouldn’t really rely on other people) but I know this is going to be something I have never experienced before and very few people with a true knowledge and understanding about what’s to come. Hope you make the decision that is best for you. Xx