Just been diagnosed

I am 48 years old and just been diagnosed with bc - I have yet to decide on reconstruction after the mastectomy. I am now experiencing the emotional roller coaster - I only discovered the lump 3 weeks ago - trying to stay positive for children/husband/elderly parents - I am feeling so tired but can’t sleep! I am scared and confused and angry - had planned and paid for a holiday in South Africa for Christmas and New Year and the kids were so excited. I am seeing the plastic surgeon on Monday to discuss immediate reconstruction but don’t know if thats the way to go - any advice would be welcome. I am also feeling quite ill - nausea and headaches (is that the cancer or emotions? - is this to be expected?)My breast is also quite tender (had the biopsy 16 days ago is the pain from this). Was feeling very positive until the last few days - trying to keep everyone else positive - also have pain on the upper right hand side of my abdomen although my consultant has told me that the cancer has not spread beyong my breast yet as he did not find any lumps in my lymph glands at present but feeling really scared about the pain but can’t discuss this with my husband as I don’t want to worry him any more than he is. Anyone else experienced anything similar?

Hi fortysomething

I’m so sorry that you’ve had to join our group, but it really is a great place for support and advice. I was diagnosed 7/9/09 and had wide local excision and lymph node removal last week (i’m 42). It sounds like your situation is the same but different, as, no doubt, you will find from many of the responses you will get.

It is easy to relate every ache and pain to the cancer (we all do) and waiting for results is the hardest part. We are all there for you. I take it from the time of your posting, you are having some sleepless nights. Many of us are in that club too!

It is a difficult and scarey journey which you will get through and you will have stacks of support forn this site

Much love and cyber hugs

Julia xxx

Just to add, i was having a pain in a similar stomach area to you, but it has gone since my surgery. Maybe its the body trying to fight the cancer?

Julia xxx

Hi fortysomething

I am sorry to read of your recent diagnosis. As well as the support you receive from the other forum users you may find the the BCC resources pack useful. It has been designed for those newly diagnosed and has information to help you better understand your diagnosis, test results and the various treatments available. If you would like a copy just follow this link:-

breastcancercare.org.uk/healthcare-professionals/publications/quick-order-list/*/changeTemplate/PublicationDisplay/publicationId/82/

I hope you find this helpful.

Kind regards
Sam (BCC Facilitator)

Hi everyone - had a better day today - bit more positive again. It is heartwarming to know that there is support ‘out there in cyber space’ from people I have never met, the difference is that we are all going through the same traumatic journey and can relate to each other

Thanks for the message - have definitely made me feel better.

fortysomething

So glad to hear you are feeling more positive. I have adopted the tick box approach to all of this. Every time I have undergone something, I tick off that box in my head. I found surgery a total relief, as the cancer has been cut out, and good riddance, to put it politely!!

Bring on the chemo, i say!!

Love and hugs

Julia xxx

Hi there

I was diagnosed with low grade bc 2 weeks ago. Have been told I need a mx. I’m feeling incredibly stressed & am getting a lot of headaches. What concerns me is that I keep getting little niggly twinges in my affected breast. It just doesn’t feel quite right. Is this normal & has anyone else experienced it?

Carol x

It’s an emotional rollercoaster. Diagnosed with early DCIS, just a month ago, had wide local excision 2 weeks ago but histology says didn’t quite get it all by 1mm or the 1cm margin - so back in again for a repeat of the same thing. Keeping everything crossed will be ok the second time. Not the news I wanted to hear but you have to go with consultant’s advice. Next step, mastectomy, scary thought at 48 but you have do everything necessary to erradicate the cancer.
To everyone going through this I wish you good luck, don’t give up and be strong

I am new to this site, and it seems like there are so many of us ladies going thru the same thing at the moment I was diagnosed with DCIS in June this year, had my 1st op on the 30th and since then the goal posts keep moving. Just DCIS, then cancer cells were found 2.2mm inside the tissue surrounding the milk ducts. More tissue removed, now I have EXTENSIVE DCIS and have to have a mastectomy on the 30th I just hope and pray that this will be the end of it

Love, hugs and best wishes to all you ladies

Celia

Hi Celia and welcome to the BCC forums

I have posted a link to our DCIS publication which contains information about DCIS and also our other support services which you may also find useful such as the BCC helpline, just click on the link to go to the order page:

breastcancercare.org.uk/healthcare-professionals/publications/diagnosed-with-breast-cancer/*/changeTemplate/PublicationDisplay/publicationId/71/

Take care
Lucy

Fortysomething, I had a dx of multifocal ILC and extensive highgrade DCIS in Feb this year, had mx with immediate LD recon. In the time between DX and the op, my breast hurt, my stomach was sore! My BCN told me 99% of women feel like that after their diagnosis! Telling your friends and family is very very hard and emotional. Wish you all the best. Any questions just ask. Take a day at a time and once you have your results& treatment plan it becomes clearer what you are dealing with. The forums are a lifeline! Big hug, Tina! (45)

Yes, as everyone says, just deal with everything one stage at a time and don’t let your mind race about everything. It is hard not to but doesn’t do any good. Just concentrate on dealing with what you know and looking forward to your life again without the horrible cancer! x

I am 43 and 2 weeks ago had a lumpectomy (WLE?) still trying to get used to the new language on top of the c word itself. I have my results at 3pm today and am totally petrified. I dont yet know the name of my cancer, everyone talks of DCIS and invasive non invasive and all the diff types but i have no idea at all what type grade or stage. i thought as small lump and caught early it be ok, well not ok, but not spread, but saying that they took all nodes tho some people have said it doesnt mean def spread… i know should take one stage at a time and deal with that but how do u do that how do u not be scared of not living. i feel like lamb to slaugher in few hrs i dont want to go but have to.would i get a dx of secondary cancer on same day as results of primary? do they know? not had any scans yet of any other kind… my legs feel like lead and my mouth is dry feel sick and not even started treatment yet please can you advise me…
Sharxxx

Hi Silvershar,

Try not to worry, easier said than done,i know.

All hospitals do things differently, some people are alerted to the possability of cancer at the early stages of investigation, others are not told anything till biopsy results are received & others not until after surgery etc.

It is possible that your hospital want to be totally sure of what they are dealing with as different cancers need different treatments also size plays a big part in treatment options as does lymph node involvement but please be rest assured if it is in your lymph nodes they do not consider this a secondary spread.

As for further testing it is my understanding that again hospitals seem to differ on this, i myself had Wle/Snb & have been diagnosed with a grade 3 invasive cancer but have not been offered further tests, scans etc as my Onc believes that there is no reason to think that there is a spread etc & I am happy with that, it is so easy for your mind to run away with you, every ache, every pain, we all have the same fears.

I will keep everything crossed for you, mean while make a note of any questions that you would like to ask.

Lots of Love

Sarah.xx