Just been told today!!

I had a recall from a routine mammogram - biopsies last Thursday x3- results today 9mm cancer in right breast. Stage 2 invasive.  I am beside myself with anxiety.  Can’t stop shaking!! Surgeon was too busy to see Me today so spoke to a lovely breast nurse instead.  Feel a bit let down by the system already. Have to go back Wednesday for treatment plan etc.  Been the longest 2 week of my life! I am 60 with hubby, 2 sons in their 30s and 3 much loved grandchildren.  I need to be here for them all and just want to wake up from this nightmare!?

Alibobs

Oh my dear am sending you a hug xx

It is perfecty natural to be in shock after having been given your diagnosis, when you get your plan it will get easier as you will know what is happening and when.  It hasnt of course helped that your surgeon was too busy!! to see you, however you have your lovely breast care nurse who will be a major support to you going forward.

Try to take a deep breath and relax it is horrible when the anxiety monster takes hold and it stops you thinking rationally but just give yourself time to take it all in.  I remember when I was diagnosed last September I was so scared that I would not see next year, I have a partner who has MS and is housebound, everything was going through my mind.  BUT after the treatment from my wonderful breast team, I finished active treatment in January of this year and life has gone back to normal, something I never imagined would happen.

You will be here for them all and your 3 lovely grandchildren ,your bc has been found and it can be treated, treatment for bcis very good and effective these days.

Helena xx

Hi Alibobs

You must be in shock and feeling all over the place just now, not helped by not having the chance to speak to your surgeon. By Wednesday you should know what is planned and should feel more in control of things. Mine was invasive too, diagnosed at age 64 last year, and initially mine was also 9 mm so i had lumpectomy (lump turned out to be 14mm after surgery) and sentinel node out (clear). No chemo, just radiotherapy, and all very doable. I know things seem nighmare-like at the moment, but you will be surprised at how normal it all becomes once you start your treatment. I think it is the word “cancer” that strikes fear into our hearts and into those of other people, but it is very treatable these days and i have no doubt you will be around for many a long year yet to enjoy your grandchldren (and probably their children, if they have them.) Chin up and it will soon be Wednesday. Take someone with you to help remember what they tell you if you can, or failing that, a notebook and pen to write things down. All the best and let us know how you get on. xxxxx

Hi Alibobs, your feelings are perfectly natural but you will settle as you gain more knowledge, disappointing that a surgeon wasn’t available to speak to you to but In my experience this is not the norm and you will be very well looked after and have a treatment plan tailored to suit you. 

I was diagnosed in March 2015 aged 46 and since I’ve seen my son marry and recently welcomed our first granddaughter ? None of which i believed at the time I would be here to see but I am and life is good again! You will be ok and won’t always feel,as you do now Xx Jo 

Hi Alibobs,

I know how you feel. I was diagnosed beg of September, tomorrow I’m going for my first chemo, and do you know what? I’m looking forward to it now, I want to get it done and dusted. But, I’ll be honest - the last 3-4 weeks have been awful, I’ve been crying nearly every day. I’m 42, my own children are still very young. Everything you feel, you’re frightened of is something we’ve all gone through but it will pass. You’re strong! We all are and we are here to help whenever you need us. We understand. Big hugs xxx

Waiting for results is just horrible Alibobs, 2 weeks feels like a lifetime! Hope everything goes well for you tomorrow, things will feel better once you know your treatment plan. Thinking of you xx

I would like to thank you all for your kind comments. It does help to hear from others who have been there!! I am trying to keep busy to kerp my mind off things. Can I ask a more personal question, has anyone who had biopsies done suffered after with pains and aches in that breast? I am concerned as it’s 12 days since I had them done. I am worried this thing inside me is growing because they said in was invasive! Wish they would hurry up and take it out!!

Hi Alibobs, I also had some pain for about 2/3 weeks after the biopsy and a lot of bruising.  I think this is quite normal. xx

Thank you again!! Feel a bit daft really whining on about trivial stuff when I should be focusing on being strong!! Is there another thread for people who have had a lumpectomy recently?  Just wondered what their experiences were and what I have to look forward to xxxx

Jencat, shxxty day today as chemo has been postponed till next Tuesday :frowning: I have a cold, my ears are popping and that’s why :frowning: they said it’s too risky and it’s better to start later than have complications during chemo; so on antibiotics for 5 days and will try to enjoy this week :slight_smile:

Alibobs, there is no such thing as trivial questions on here ? my breast didn’t hurt after the biopsy but the procedure itself was painful ? maybe not enough anaesthetic…

Hi Alibobs, I had a lumpectomy on the 4th October and it was not too bad, I went in at 7.30am and was home by 4.00pm.  Bit sore for a few days and tired in the afternoons but I managed after a couple of days to walk approx 2 miles every day and I used an exercise bike frequently.  I would say the worst thing was not being able to get a bra on for a couple of days after but once you can it is much more comfortable.  I used sports bras with good support which helped with any discomfort. I was back at work full time after three weeks. i’m now waiting to start chemo. Good luck I know the waiting is really hard. xx

Hi Alibobs,

I had a lumpectomy March 2016 and then a re-excision due to an area of dcis at the margin so I was expecting to be in a lot of pain having the original wound opened up again, but actually it wasn’t too bad and healed pretty quickly. I was told that taking painkillers would help it heal quicker so I took them for the first few days.  I did find wearing my normal bra quite painful so I bought some crop tops which I still wear as they are so comfortable! Probably not ideal though for anyone with a bigger bust as they are not terribly supportive!

I didn’t have chemo but did have rads which did make my breast pretty sore but again it didn’t take too long to heal.

I was surprised at how long it took to get the feeling back where I had the surgery and 18 months on there is still a little numbness. I also got stabbing pains for about a year which is apparently the nerve endings repairing as they are very slow to heal.  Again, it wasn’t anything painful.

Once you have your treatment plan in place you will feel more in control.  Hope all goes well.

Michelle xx

Feisty flora. What an inspirational journey with a few obstacles but a lovely outcome and glad to hear the hobbies you are doing. After crying (still crying) for my mum after diagnosed whilst I know every journey is different for those affected, I see a ounce of light from your story. Xxxxx

I have now got my surgery dates. Thank you for your words of wisdom and support!! Nervous still about the procedures before the actual op and hoping that they get it all and my nodes are clear. Please please please.