71.9K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just diagnosed-Surgery on 15th Feb - need some wise words...

17 REPLIES 17
Guest user
Not applicable

Re: Just diagnosed-Surgery on 15th Feb - need some wise words...

Hi Cath
I have just realised that I didn't reply to your last post. Yes it was from my tummy, they took some muscle as well as fat. I still can't sleep for more than an hour and a half at a time because I am uncomfortable when I lie down - fine in the day and I've been for a walk every day for about 15/20 mins - but just a problem at night. I don't think sleep remedies would help as I have absolutely no trouble getting to sleep, its staying asleep thats the problem.

How are you doing?

Take care
Lemoncake
x

Gemcat1701

Oh Lemoncake, I'm sorry you are suffering, it's not good that you can't sleep as sleep will aid your recovery. Have you tried any herbal sleep remedies? Did they take fat from your tummy to do the recon then? Just make sure you really rest up and sleep in the day whenever you can. I hope u have lots of people spoiling you, taking your mind off the wait til results day. I'm sending you lots of love & positive vibes. X

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Cath, lovely to hear from you, I came on here tonight to PM you to see how you are and you've just posted, thats spooky. I'm so glad that the op went well and even more pleased that there is no spread. Let us know how you get on next Thurs.

My mx/recon went well on 16th the day after yours I think that was. It was 12hrs plus another nearly 3hrs in recovery so it was a long day for all concerned. I get the mx results on 7/3. I'm not sleeping too well at the moment as I wake up after about 2hrs asleep because I'm quite uncomfortable with my stomach when lying down but can't sleep sitting up!

Take care
Lemoncake
x

Gemcat1701

Hi everyone, I just typed a long reply and then lost the lot cos of this stupid iPad!!
Thanks for thinking of me. I'm sorry, I should have posted on here earlier. The op went well, and my wounds have healed quickly. I've had lots of support from family & friends and generally been busy every day since with visitors, receiving gifts, cards and flowers! I can't believe it really.
I got good news on Thursday, that the cancer has not spread!! Yay! So no more operations. I'm seeing the Oncologist on Thursday to get the plan for chemo & radio. I think the worse thing about all of this will be losing my hair, and being made to feel ill when at the moment, I feel good! It's a bit mad isn't it.
I'm wondering whether to go for a short crop hair do, or just wait until it starts coming out and then shave off the lot? How is everyone else doing?
Hope you are all keeping your spirits up.
Oh, my kids are ok with it all. I read them Mummys Lump. I think the baldness will be what affects them the most too.
Hugs to u all. Cath

FireCracker111

Hi Gemcat - how are you now, a week after surgery? Are you settling in a little bit to the immediate changes? Are you getting lots of practical support with your children? How have they been with the whole thing?
And how are you getting on with the exercises?

Well, sending you virtual healing,
FC

Guest user
Not applicable

Good luck for tomorrow! You're so close to being done with the op worries. 🙂 I'll be thinking of you!

Guest user
Not applicable

Good luck for tomorrow Cath xxx

supertrouper

Good luck for tomorrow - and remember, this too will pass xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Cath,

I hope you see this before your op. I have PM'd you.

Lemoncake
x

Gemcat1701

Hi everyone, thank you for your kind replies.
Lemoncake - that's v impressive you returning to work the next day!
30nov66 - what u said about not thinking about it too much is most helpful! I keep tying myself in knots between reading up on things and then trying to clear my head, trying to worry. At the moment I think ignorance is bliss and have decided to just deal with one step at a time.
Leeds39 - it's good to hear from someone the same age as myself with young children, I will look at getting the book. My son is a big worry wart so for us it's best we don't tell him about the op until after the event.
Annew272 - I am reassured by your experience, let's hope mine is as good. I can certainly put up with a blue nipple and well healed scars. 🙂
Teabelly - Thank you, yep the kids do keep me going and take my mind of it all, I just don't want their lives to change because of BC. It's not fair on them.
Supertrouper - i like your mantra, can I pinch it?! I agree - no more googling for me!
AnnaB BCC - I will check out those links.
I was pleased to hear from all of you and I hope we can support each other through these challenging times. I've always thought I was a fighter and now I'm going to find out how strong.
I'm off to my mums now for a roast dinner so won't check back in on here until this eve.
Speak to u later, Cath

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Gemcat,

I had a wide local excision in 1999 aged 38 when the youngest of my three children was 5. I went to the day surgery unit at 8am and went home at 1pm, I had the next day off work and then returned to work the day after, I didn't need painkillers. I then had to go back in for a lymph node clearance a couple of weeks later (they didn't do sentinal node biopsies then they just took them all out). For that I was in for about 3 days and left with a drain in, I don't remember being in pain then either although I wasn't able to do housework for about 2 weeks (doctors orders). I wasn't told to get any special bra's or anything.

My 5yr old didn't seem too concerned but the eldest who was 12 was quite worried about it all and asked me questions at bedtime every night which I answered as best I could.

Good luck for your op on Wednesday. I've got one on Thursday and about 5/6 day stay in hospital.

Take care
Lemoncake
x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Gemcat,

I'm a January surgery girl too, SLB and WLE. It isn't too bad I was out the same day. Definitely recommend putting on a soft sports bra straight away, non padded, low impact, and not taking it off! Mine's from Tesco's £6.00. Also do the exercises straight away. Other than that, be selfish and make sure you put your self first and let others take care of you and your children. My children are a little older so a bit easier. Try to keep yourself distracted, it doesn't help thinking about it! And look after yourself as much as you you can. Go Amazon shopping for some DVD catch up's!
Not heard about the bikini top bit...
Good luck and my best wishes to you,

Sassy xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hello gemkat,
I can only offer a bit of advice as I've had that op.
I was dx on 6th dec and had my op on 28th dec. Then had a further op ANC on 25th. Jan. I'm about to start my chemo on tuesday.
Its a scary time I'm 39 and have two small children R and 7. I got so much info from the helpline they were fantastic.
I got a book called mummys lump. I read it to beth of them. I felt like I just needed to tell them as I was going into hospital.
My eldest took it all in and asked questions later. He still has loads but my youngest doesn't really understand just that I've had a poorly booby.
I stayed in one night with the op mainly because it was late on when I went for the surgery.
I wasn't too sore after this op and my movement was fine. Just had some painkillers but it wasn't too bad at all. I had some vest tops with a support inside because I couldn't put on a bra.
Other than that I can't say much else.
Hope that helps. Good luck with the op and look after yourself.
Love fran xx

annew272

Hello Gemcat

I had a WLE and sentinal node biopsy last August. Im not sure about a bikini top - cant think what this would achieve. I had internal stitches and the top was glued so was able to shower quite quickly. As I am diabetic they did mine in the afternoon and kept me overnight although most go home the same day. I also had a drain which the district nurse had to come and remove. I was sore for a few days but after the first 2 was able to get through the day with no pain killers and just take them over night. I have big boobs and felt more comfortable with a bra on, even at night.

My scars have healed well and look much better than I ever thought they would. I still have a slightly blue area around my nipple from the SNB 🙂

Hope all goes well

Anne

teabelly

hi Gemcat1701
I was disnosed on Dec 22nd mine was also grade 3 i had the lump removed and sentinel node biopsy on jan 18th i am 37 yrs and have 2 children 10 and 11. The surgury wasnt to bad at all i was so scared on morning of op it went really well and i went home that night it was quite sore but few painkillers it was no where as bad as i thought it would be you will be fine. i had to wear a vest top at first and after 2 days i wore a support bra.hope this has been helpful
As for the children i used the books from hospital to show the children and they have been great they keep you going.
hope to keep in touch
lots of love
tracy x x

supertrouper

Hi Gemcat

So sorry that you have found yourself here but welcome! You are now surrounded by people in similar positions with lots of experience and advice. We support each other in here through the bad times and celebrate together the good times.

I was diagnosed at the end of May 2011 with invasive lobular carcinoma - also grade three. I had a sentinal node biopsy in June and was in as a day case. I was a little bit sore after the surgery as I found that my bra rubbed against the scar, but I used cotton wool pads to ease that problem. I didn't have the lump removed at the same time because of the size and type. I had 5 months of chemotherapy followed by a mastectomy in December and I am now going through Radiotherapy.

This is a good site to come to. Please don't google looking for information as there is a lot of very outdated info that could scare you.

We are all here holding hands with each other.

My mantra is "THIS TOO WILL PASS" and it will.

Debbie

Guest user
Not applicable

Hello and welcome to the Breast Cancer Car Discussion Forums. While you're waiting for replies from other forum users here are links to information and resources which might be helpful:

Mummy’s lump publication:
http://www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/diagnosed-breast-cancer/mummys-lump-bcc164

Talking with your children about breast cancer publication:
http://www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/diagnosed-breast-cancer/talking-your-children-about...

Resources and services aimed at younger women affected by breast cancer:
http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/category/type-person-particularly-relevant/younger-women-breast-c...

Please don't hesitate to give the BCC Helpline a call if it would help to talk to someone in confidence. They can provide information and emotional support Tel. 0808 800 6000 Mon-Fri 9am-5pm and Sat 9am-2pm.

With best wishes,
Anna, BCC Facilitator

Gemcat1701

Just diagnosed-Surgery on 15th Feb - need some wise words...

Hi, I was diagnosed last week with grade 3 ductal carcinoma and am having a wide excision if the lump and sentinel lymph node biopsy on Weds 15th Feb. I'm still in shock really. I'm 38 and have 2 young children, 5&7. I'm having the op at a day surgery unit. Has anyone else got experience of having a similar op, and being in and out of hosp in a day? How sore will I be after the surgery? And is there anything I should be doing to prepare my body?
Someone said I will need a bikini top to wear in the shower afterwards - why?! Any advice on these matters, including breaking the news to my children would be gratefully received. Thanks ladies.