cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just diagnosed & not sure how to feel

Jan-mac

Re: Just diagnosed & not sure how to feel

Hi M
Thank you so much for your kind words it really means a lot to me that you have made me feel so welcome and know how I feel.
I am so pleased to hear things are going better for you, its very encouraging.
A big hug for you & all ladies out there in the same situation - let's keep strong love Jan xx
Magical_Moon

Hello Jan,
I am sorry that you have had to join the club nobody really wants to be in. However, you have come to the right place for lots of support from ladies who have been through or are going through BC.
It is hard not to be frightened and confused when you are first told. I know I was very frightened like you but if you take one day at a time it is doable.
The most important advice I can give you at this stage is to stick to the BCC Forum and the Macmillan site for help, support and advice. Try not to Google because there is so much out of date information out there.
You are going to get through this and by using this Forum you will find lots of ladies who want to support you.
The first couple of weeks are the most frightening until the initial shock becomes manageable.
Sending you a big cyber hug and good luck.
M x
PS. I am five months along from my diagnosis and coming out the other side. This Forum helped me so much and I am sure you will find that too.
Jan-mac

Hi my names Jan this morning I was told I have a lump I was called back for a further mammogram & ultrasound they said its so tiny you couldn't feel it - have to wait for appointment for biopsy but have been told I'll probably have lumpectomy & possibly radiotherapy - feel very frightened and confused have been told its treatable but doesn't seem to be going g in my head right now - I'm new to the forum so please bear with me, I wish everyone out there all the best x
June_BCC

Hello Sue3689

Welcome to the forums.

As well as the support you will receive on the forums you might find it helpful to talk things through with one of the helpline staff, they are there to offer emotional support as well as provide information. The freephone number is 0808 800 6000 and lines are open 9-5 Monday to Friday and 10-2 Saturday.

Best wishes

June, moderator

Blue23

Hi,

I am new  to this forum, just diagnosed on 1/4/14 after USS and am going for biopsy results today. I too feel numb and feel just need to know results so can move on with treatment. I hate feeling the lump and just want it removed ASAP . Anyone else waiting for results ?

Kalo

Hi Shell15,
Like yourself I have just found out too, not sure how I feel.
I know a few women who have gone through this and are really good now,
so I'm holding onto that for now. I know I will be quite scared when it's time for the surgery
as that will make it more real.
Take care. X
keeks

Sorry you have recieved your bad news.

although you will often discover what you are feeling is "normal" it is not normal for you or your family. The leaflets available do give good tips on how you can deal with some situations like telling others.

you  will find this a great place to get info and let off steam.  

Take care

Keeks

princessbear

P.s. its worth getting the resource pack Sam has suggested. Loads of info and a handy place to keep all your letters etc and make a note of questions as you think of them. X
princessbear

Hi shell15, 

I was diagnosed on 12th March a date forever burnt in my brain. I also felt numb and everyone else seemed to take it badly. Its shock, its take a while to sink in, still feels like its not real but I have found this site to be of such a great help and just wanted to tell you that you are not alone.

My pre op is tomorrow and lumpectomy on 15th. Initially I couldn't focus on anything I felt like I was in a fog. I don't know your situation but I had a couple of days off work and then went back which has helped a lot because I kind of feel normal for the hours I'm there. I have found the weekends the hardest. Keep in touch on this site. You can ask any questions without feeling silly and share how you are feeling and in my experience there is always somebody who will answer. Take care xx

Sam_BCC

Hi Shell15

Firstly, welcome to the forums, I am sure you will find it a great source of information and support.

I'm sorry to read of your diagnosis, the first few days and weeks are always difficult when coming to terms with things and getting to grips with your treatment plans, etc.

As well as the support you are receiving on the forums you might find it helpful to order the BCC resources pack. It has been specifically designed for those newly diagnosed and contains information to help you better understand your diagnosis, test results and the various treatments available. If you would like to order a copy just follow the link bellow:-

http://www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/diagnosed-breast-cancer/resource-pack-primary-early...

Also do give the helpline a ring if you need any further support or information. They're on 0808 800 6000. Open 9-5 Monday to Friday and 10-2 Saturday.

Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator

Shell15

Just diagnosed & not sure how to feel

Hi,

I was diagnosed just yesterday with invasive ductal carcinoma, I was given lots of other info, but as I'm sure you all know it's a bit too much to take in. The nurse marked everything off in a booklet for me to read & digest when I can. They took a lymph node sample when doing biopsy & they were clear.

They seem quite confident that they can remove the lump without the need for a mastectomy so booked for surgery on 17th & they'll do further tests to double check the lymph glands aswell.

Chemotherapy & radiotherapy treatment will follow after that.

I'm not sure how to feel about everything at the moment, I just don't really feel anything if I'm honest. Everyone around me is taking it worse than me. I'm not sure if its not really sunk in yet.