cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just diagnosed and scared

18 REPLIES 18
hdsurvivor

Re: Just diagnosed and scared

Carly, that is fantastic news I am really pleased for you. It is strange how every hospital has a different approach, I haven't had to have any CT scans or MRI for the BC. I was just told (from biopsy result) it is low grade and due to previous radiotherapy I would need a double masectomy and lumpectomy was out of the question as I couldn't have any more radiation to that area, and they usually follow lumpectomy with rads. On the plus side they do not think I will need any chemo.

When do you find out what type of surgery you will be having? My masectomy is booked for 10th September - scary.

Cczes

CT scan results back today and all good......it hasn't spread thank god. Now just waiting on whether I can have a lumpectomy or have to have a mastectomy x
hdsurvivor

Good luck with your results tomorrow Carly, I will be thinking of you. x

Cczes

Thanks HD survivor, get one set of results this Tuesday. It's good to hear from someone that has also been in the same boat with the Hodgkins. Good luck to you too and like you said we've been here before so we can do it again x
hdsurvivor

Hi Carly

I was diagnosed with BC three weeks ago and have been busy reading a lot of the threads on here (which have all been very helpful and supportive) but this is my first post on here.

Your message struck a particular chord with me as I have also has Hodgkins lymphoma and due to the previous radiation for that I can not have any more radiation to that area so will require a double masectomy, I do not know at this stage if my BC is hormone receptive only that is papillary breast cancer (one of the rare ones). I had my Hodgkins diagnosed at the age of 22 back in 1985, shortly after giving birth to my second child, so I do know how difficult it is to be dealing with such a scary thing and to have to keep a brave face on for the children, but remember you have got through it all before so you can do it again and will see your lovely children grow up and even go on to have children of their own.

I have been told that the radiation I received for the Hodgkins is what has most likely caused my breast cancer (the dosage was much higher back then).

Good luck with your scans and I hope that the results are good.

HD survivorSmiley Happy

Cczes

I'm Essex x
lyndsey

I hope they get back to you soon as well, admin are always adding people but they haven't for the last few days so maybe they have been away over the bank holiday!! I'm sure someone will get back to you soon! Where abouts are you from? if you don't mind me asking! I'm from north west london xxx
Cczes

Thanks Lyndsey hope they get back to me soon, would like to see if there are people local to me as well that I could chat to x
lyndsey

Yep that's the right one!! Look forward to seeing you there!! You will get a lovely welcome!! 🙂 xxx
Cczes

Ok great. I sent a message to the group where it has a picture of a group of women, younger breast cancer network (uk). Hopefully they'll get in touch soon x
lyndsey

I just checked back through my old messages and I sent a private message to that group they replied within a couple of hours and then they add you to be friends with edna Manchester lol this is the actual group, it is a very private group!! I look forward to seeing you there xxx
lyndsey

Hi Carly, did you send a private message to the younger breast cancer network? They are usually pretty quick at replying! Xxx
Cczes

Hi Lyndsey, have tried looking up the fb page and sent a message but not sure if it's the right page as no one has got back to me. X
lyndsey

Hi Carly,

I'm so sorry you find yourself here, I too am 33 and I have a 3 year old daughter, I have grade 3 IDC stage 2b TNBC, if you are on facebook please come over and join the younger breast cancer network as Sandie already suggested it's an amazing group!! I was diagnosed in June and have had so many tests since then, I have had a lumpectomy and SLNB unfortunately I have to have another op in a couple of weeks as it was found in my lymph nodes and they didn't get clear margins!! I have up and down days yesterday was very down for me and Sandie was one of the girls helping me out on FB!! today I am feeling much better!! This is certainly an emotional roller coaster but we are all here to help you through it! It really helps to talk to people that really understand what we are going through! I hope to see you over on Facebook!! I would be lost without the younger breast cancer network! Big hugs Lyndsey xXx
sandie73

Hi Carly

Sorry to hear you have joined our horrible club 😞 It is a very scary time indeed but like its been said BC is very treatable nowadays thanks to medical advances 🙂  There is a FB private page for younger women with Breast Cancer. Its called Younger Breast Cancer Network. You need to send them a private message asking to join and a brief description of your diagnosis.

Hope to see you there xx

Wendyy
Volunteer

Hi Carly. Just here to support you. Sorry but I'm not up to speed on all the acronyms and jargon. I think I just about understand my own situation. But I share your feelings of utter confusion. One day it takes over my every thought and the next day I have a great day and feel normal. My op for WLE and SNB is tomorrow and to be honest I can't wait. I think when you know what you're facing it will help. Sending lots of love and positivity xx
Trisha_51

Hello Carly, so sorry you've had to join our exclusive club. Feeling scared and angry are two of the very many 'normal' feelings you may experience at the moment. You are 'in the waiting room' at present and until you know what your treatment plan is you be feeling all at sea as you are not in control. Please believe me things will get better once you have some control back. Treatments for BC have made huge advances in the last few years and it is now very treatable. You say you have TNBC, there is a specific thread at the bottom of this board for TN you may find it useful to post here with any specific TN questions: also there is a specific board for Younger Women and Families which you will find at the bottom of the main forum page under all the other boards. I believe the younger ladies also have a private Facebook page which I'm sure one of them will be able to point you in the direction of if you are interested. Although I've not used it I believe from other ladies posts that the helpline is excellent. Sending you (((hugs))), take care, Pat xx
Jo_BCC

Hi Carly,

Welcome to the BCC discussion forums where I am sure you will find lots of good, honest support from the many informed users of this site.  To help you along I have put for you below the link to one of BCC's publications you might find helpful, also if you need to talk to someone in confidence, then our helpline team are just a free phone call away.  No question is a silly question so ask what ever you need, they're here to support you through this.  Calls are free 0808 800 6000 lines open weekdays 9-5 and Saturdays 10-2.

http://www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/diagnosed-breast-cancer/breast-cancer-you-diagnosis...

Take care,

Jo, Moderator

Cczes

Just diagnosed and scared

Hello,

I'm 33 and found out Friday that I have TNBC. I have a 3 year old and a 4 month old and all I keep thinking is that I'm not going to get to see my children grow up. I'm so scared and angry. I'm having my scans this week to see if it's spread anywhere else so really hoping that the results of that will be positive. The surgeon has also spoken about a mastectomy as I don't qualify for a lumpectomy due to me having Hodgkin's lymphoma when I was 18 and having radiotherapy already in the same sort of area I'd need it again.
I'm trying to carry on and keep busy and for that moment all seems so normal and then it hits me that it's not.
I just wanted to share this and hear from people who are in the same boat and know where I'm coming from.

Carly x