Just diagnosed with 1 cm grade 2

Met with surgeon today.  Lumpectomy on Jan. 19 with biopsy results scheduled for Feb 1.  Am hoping for just radiation therapy without chemo.  Would like to hear from others going through this, what sort of treatment was prescribed and why cannot I opt for a mastectomy, if it has not spread to the lymph nodes?  I am really down and live on my own.

HI there Ann,

Glad your I’ve found your way to the forums, you need not feel so alone with so many of us either going through or finished with treatment. I was diagnosed back in March, with grade 2 (which became grade 3 after surgery biopsy) stage 1 hormonal fed tumour.  The trouble is with treatment plans is that they are quite individual , based on the exact biopsy results, so it’s hard to make comparisons at this point until you’ve got your complete results after surgery. However, rest assured, there will be plenty of people here who will have had a similar diagnosis to you once your full results are through. You mention about the mastectomy; of course not having been there during your discussion with the surgeon, I’m not sure what was discussed…however…on a general level it is as effective a treatment nowadays to have lumpectomy and radiotherapy as it used to be to have a mastectomy. This applies of course to particular stages and individual diagnoses, so it sounds like your surgeon feels you meet those criteria. They try to avoid a harder, more radical surgery if it won’t give a benefit, as the surgery itself Is of course more complex, with more potential physical and psychological difficulties afterwards. 

It is understandable you are feeling low, and infact it would be more unusual if you didn’t. However, we are here and happy to listen. There is always the helpline number at the top you can call as well, for extra support. Please do reply and say a bit more about your current diagnosis and situation, and we will do our best to reassure you and share experiences. 

HI Ann,

you poor thing is horrendous I know… Ive not started anything yet if you read forums you may know that so dont want to repeat for fear of boring everyone.

Its about you and your fears.And I so understand Its frightening and so overwhelming. all the fears just well up, then rise up my back into my chest ; then it hollows out and settles into my heart and it stays there hurting, till it moves slowly away for a few hours/minutes.

I feel a lumpectomy is good at least you keep something to squish into a bra :).

I have it in my nodes, so they are mring me friday to see if chemo or op first… different to you as char said , we all different , and if im honest Id rather your diagnoses ( wierd to be saying that I know , we all have this thing).

thinking of you Anne xxxxxxx

Hiyer Zena,

I think I’ve missed your threads, so it’s not boring at all…but it wouldn’t be boring if I’d read them before anyway. Lol you describe oh so well the panic and fear. X

Hi Anne

I had an op on 15th December for 11mm ductal carcinoma, I had results yesterday and it ended up at 15mm. I was asked if I would like a mastectomy but said no and I’m very pleased I did. Evidence states that breast conserving surgery for lumps like ours, is just as good as MX.

I totally get how down you feel. I’m not “up” even 3 weeks after surgery, but I’m getting there. I’m prepared for Chemo if I need it, its all about preventing it coming back and I will throw everything I have at it.

This forum has been my life saver. Come join us on the how are you doing  thread, it gets a bit daft but helps keep us in good spirits.

xxxx