Just diagnosed would welcome info on poss causes

Hi - I’ve just been diagnosed with DCIS at age 46. I’ve always considered myself very healthy and active and have no family history of any cancers at all. I’d really like to read up about it all and particularly about possible causes. Any books or websites anyone can recommend would be really welcome please - I want to make sure I’m reading the right things as I appreciate the power of google and it isn’t always a good thing! I’m not normally one to join forums but this website is superb and has been so informative and helpful so far, as have the staff at Ashford Hospital, Middx. My best wishes to everyone else on here. Liz x

Hello Liz s

Welcome to the forums. I’m sorry to hear of your diagnosis, the first few weeks are always difficult when coming to terms with your diagnosis and treatment.
As well as the support you will receive on the forums you might find it helpful to order the BCC resources pack. It has been specifically designed for those newly diagnosed and contains information to help you understand your diagnosis, test results and the various treatments available. If you would like to order a copy just follow the link bellow:-

www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/diagnosed-breast-cancer/resource-pack-primary-early-breast-cancer-bcc145

You may also like to talk things through with one of the helpline staff, they are there to offer emotional support as well as provide information. The free phone number is 0808 800 6000 and lines are open 9-5 Monday to Friday and 10-2 Saturday.

Best wishes

June, moderator

Liz, I know someone who is 44, fit, healthy, (gym and kick boxing 4 times a week) has children, breast fed and has just been diagnosed with breast cancer. She can not understand either why she has it and is finding it hard to accept but we have talked now and she has seen my mx area and knows that sometimes there are women that just get it. Good luck and stay strong.
We all stumble, everyone one of us, no matter how determined or strong we are. That is why it is a comfort to go hand in hand. X

Hi Liz,

I agree with Lucylou. There was no reason why I had cancer at 31, and there was no reason why it came back again at 52. No real reasons, apart from being a female and having dense breasts. Some of us are just unlucky. We do the best we can to lower our chances of getting BC, but no one really knows why it happens to most of us, and most of the people I’ve been in touch with have had no significant risk factors they’re aware of. I’m not all that keen on the idea of “fighting spirit” either. Just do what you can to eat properly and include treats wherever possible to help you get through your diagnosis and treatments. Be kind to yourself, and stop trying to work out why this has happened. You will just end up wasting a lot of time - I know this, because I did lots of research myself before deciding it would be better to spend my time doing other things.

Hi Liz
I have to agree with the other ladies. Your focus now should be on the future not the past. My breat surgeon said ‘we don’t look back, only to the future because the future is where we want to be’
I am 46. And at the end of February when I found my lump my world changed about me. I am strong, positive and do not waste time on negative things or people. I have read many post from inspirational brave women on this forum who feel they are fitter, healthier and in a better place then before theirdiagnosis and I, once my treatment has finished, will be there with them.
Take care Liz and focus on the good things in life. Good luck with your journey and keep in touch
Emma xx

Hi everyone and thank you all so much for your comments and advice - I really appreciate it. Liz xx

Hi Liz
Below is a link to the Macmillan website information about DCIS. I hope you find the information you need in it. There are also some downloadable .pdf booklets on this website, the bottom link is to the one about DCIS, hope these links help you.

macmillan.org.uk/Cancerinformation/Cancertypes/BreastDCIS/DCIS.aspx

http://www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/sites/default/files/bcc39\_\_dcis\_factsheet\_2012\_web.pdf
Take care,
poemsgalore xx

Well said love your spirit MElrose15