Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just diagnosed

34 REPLIES 34
ladybowler
Community Champion

Re: Just diagnosed

Emma

Okay.  Hopefully you will get something through quickly.  It is the waiting that is the worst, once you know what you are dealing with I think it makes things a lot easier because you at least know what is going to happen and when. 

Just remember we are here for you when you need us.

Helena xxx

emma187

Hello Helena,

I mean I'm waiting to hear the type and stage etc... the biopsy was sent off and so I dont have a treatment plan yet.  I'm not sure when I'm back at hospital, they said it takes around 2 weeks to come back to I'll maybe hear next week when my appointment is and thats when I'll be told my plan etc. x

ladybowler
Community Champion

Emma187

Hello there and sorry you find yourself on this forum but welcome to a place full of wonderful ladies who will be able to help and support you along the way.

You say you are waiting for your biopsy results, do you mean your treatment plan?  When I was diagnosed I basically told the people that I wanted to know/who knew that I was going to get the results of my biopsy, that it was good bad news.  The bad news was that it was cancer, but the good news was that it had been caught early and with an op, radiotherapy and hormone tablets it was treatable with a good outlook.  I did it this way because whilst I was giving them the bad news that I had bc I was also able to reassure them, and probably me, that it was treatable so as to ease their worries.

We are very good on here in getting ladies through the "wobble" moments so just come on whenever you want to laugh, cry, rant or just have a natter there is generally someone on here who will be able to talk to you.

When are you due to go back to the clinic?

Helena x

emma187

Hi All,

My name is Emma and I've just been diagnosed.  I'm waiting on the results of my biopsy for more details.I'm feeling ok at the moment... perhaps a wee bit matter of fact that I have to just get on with it and go through the process... I know that might change but what I'm finding really tough at the moment is telling people.  I find myself apologising for telling them bad news... which is ridiculous I know. 

Anyway really glad there are these forums and hoping to get lots of hints and tips along with support 🙂 x

Maria12

Anniej enjoy your holiday x
Anniej
Community Champion

Thank you, lovely ladies. X

just printed out boarding passes, and my dear old boy dashed out for euros this morning .

Dont know why I said it was an MRI scan - it was the jelly belly scan. The Doctor scanned the boob and the arm pit and said it looked cancerous to her and could she do core biopsies. Very polite.....I wonder how many women say..nah! 

Well, better to be in Lanzerote fretting than here fretting. Onward and upward.

ann-m
Community Champion

hi annie,
Sorry that that you find yourself here, but if it is confirmed, then it can now be dealt with.
Going on holiday wont make any difference on timings & it maybe a bit of a distraction.
As you've already seen, things do settle down when the diagnosis is confirmed & a treatment plan is in place.
Loads of support here whenever you need it.
ann x
Alex1967

Anniej absolutely go on hol - enjoy the rest. As far as results go if anything shows in the nodes then they'll treat it - I remember my consultant saying that's what the nodes job is - to catch them so they are only doing their job - he said imagine they are like pacman! 😂 Keep your chin up - they are just making sure they get the right treatment plan for you. As far as the MRI goes I screamed "GET ME OUT, GET ME OUT" when they slid me in! Claustrophobia at its worst!
Anniej
Community Champion

Alex, home and with feet up! Good news to me. I hope I'm as strong. X

I had core biopsies of boob and lymph glands yesterday, following an MRI scan. They do not look normal, so I'm now waiting to hear. A bit of me hopes its all a mistake but I know it's not. I've been encouraged by the hospital to go on a holiday which is booked. Is this a good or bad thing???

I guess you are right re treatment plan. Until you know results and options it's all worse case scenario. Thank goodness for this site. 

Alex1967

Just want to add a bit of positivity - I was diagnosed following trial screening (age 49) and had a 25m invasive DC and on MRI a few more scatters of DCIS so had mastectomy yesterday afternoon and I'm back at home with my feet up! Op went well and now just need to wait for results and prob have radiotherapy due to them finding little bits. My nodes looked fine on scan and they did a SNB but said they looked normal. Aches and pains you always link to cancer once diagnosed but you probably wouldn't think nothing of it normally! I have back ache etc but it's probably just an age thing as my consultant is not concerned at all. Once you have a treatment plan in place you will feel so much better - the girls further down the line are a godsend on here and they were right telling me it gets easier - it does.
Maria12

Hi rita please try not to beat yourself up about not finding it , i was diagnosed 2 weeks ago though seems much longer, mine was 4.4 cm with lymphs at time of diagnose whether its grown since im not sure , but i know mine had been there 10 months that i know off , i was the same angry at myself that i didnt push for scans last may , also angry at my doctor for saying it was something it wasnt .like you i was scared and upset .once you get your treatment plan and feel like something is being done it eases at little , the unknown is a terrifying place .think ill always be angry at my original doctor ..As for the backache , ive also had that since diagnose specially upper back and i was convinced it had spread past my underarm lymps , but bone and ct scan showed no sign of spread .ive had all sorts aches and pains and new one is lighheadiness and can hardly lift my arm as it keeps going stiff in lymph area , once you get your scans out the way and you have some clue about what next it makes it a little less worry , the ladies on this site are very helpful and reassuring when you need it .Please try not to worry .sending you a big hug xx
Janet M

Hi Rita , im just recently diagnosed too although i have been in remission for 20 years from another cancer.  Although my cancers are genetic and i'm at high risk of several , this is one i didnt expect and has been found qite by chance by my G.P.. I would never have guessed it was a breast lump as it is so high up almost on my breast bone , so dont beat yoursrelf up about not finding it earlier . The main thing is ..its found now and will be treated .Yes its a time when emotions are all over the place , you feel as though your'e wading through treacle blindfolded . Having cancer again is bringing back all the feelings i had years ago .. the difference is at least i KNOW now.. all this will pass .. i promise you ...hard to believe at this point but you will find a day ahead when you suddenly realise having cancer hasnt entered your thoughts that day. For the moment it is what it is ..and fighting the continual thoughts of it is a struggle.. but you WILL win . I made a decision early on that THIS was NOT going to control or define me !..and it was vital to have at least 1 pleasurable thing a day no matter what . However your life was before ,  in a job you hate ,caring for others at the expense of your own wellbeing , whatever ...NOW is the time for YOU ...avoid the things that stress you or make you unhappy , alter whats not right for you in your liife , avoid people who make you feel worse and get help in any form when you feel you need it . This is not being selfish , this is a time for pampering yourself and keeping positive . I am on antidepressants at the moment and finding they are really helping me cope . Its a wonderful thing to have this site and if you have a Maggies Centre look in, its bright and calm with a lot of caring people to help . Keep looking forward , everybody here is with you X

Jobey68

Hi Rita, welcome to the forum, I know it's not a place any of us want to be but I hope you can find some comfort here 😊 These early days are the pits and it's quite natural to think every twinge is cancer but it's rarely the case,the reality is for the vast majority this is very treatable and not how you will be imagining right now , have a read though the threads here and you will see there is light beyond the place you are in right now, little steps every day is the way to go , only deal with what's happening now and you will amaze yourself with how well you will cope Xx Jo 

RitaB

Hi this is my first post and feeling quite fragile psychologically. I'm age 55 and thought I was in good health and was knocked sideways when I found a lump 2 weeks ago. Why did I not feel it earlier?  I've been dieting for the last year successfully and lost weight.  I am officially no longer overweight according to my BMI. I wondered if my smaller bust size from 40ish to 35 ish made the lump 'noticeable.' The lump is about 4cm and from what I gather means it's been their awhile. Very upset and scared. I was diagnosed yesterday  (31st January). I'm waiting the results of a biopsy. They are checking lymph nodes too. I was told by the Consultant it is definitely cancer. Surgery and chemo on the cards. Other treatment - worse case scenario.  I'm convinced the cancer has spread. My back is hurting and every twinge I think is cancer related.  Angry and upset and frightened.

Janet M

Hello marydan , thank you so much for your warm welcme . I feel ive joined another special club !. I have Lynch Syndrome which was diagnosed when i had endometrial cancer at 49 . When you carry the gene for this condition as i do, it predisposes you to various cancers . Ive had a good run at being in remission so it didnt come as a surprise to be diagnosed again , and i will try and get through this with optimism and humour too !...and on a " bad " day i know there will be lots of lovely " special " ladies there to keep me going , keep smiling everyone and all my best wishes X 

Janet M

Hi and thank you !.its a club i hadn't planned on joining but its where i will be in touch with the nicest people and my best wishes to everybody x
ladybowler
Community Champion

Janet

Hello and welcome.  I sincerely hope your support group in Scotland is very successful and you know that we are all here to support you as well xx

marydan

Hi Janet, I am sorry you find yourself joining the gang on here but what a fab bunch of brave ladies they are and they have really helped me through. I hope you stay strong too and  remember,we are all in this together. Mary xxxx

Janet M

Hi , im new to this "blog" thing so i hope im doing it right !. II have Lynch Syndrome and diagnosed today with breast cancer . I had endometrial cancer 20 years ago and im trying to set up a support group in Scotland if anybody wants to get intouch . Good wishes to everyone , keep strong ! 

Blossom Hill

Oops sorry, I have got my mum but she has dementia, think sometimes though I'd get more sense outta her than the doctors !!!!!!!!! Perhaps I should get her to have my nutty assessment for me.!!!

BlossomHill XXX

Blossom Hill

Hi Ali, and the lovely ladies. Yes I noticed, had to have a little cheer of Go Ali!!! I no youve been so down and struggling last few days, your turn to help someone else. So todays the day I have the plastic surgeon, although its one step nearer to the dreaded CT scan, nearly had a heart attack earlier, phoned hospital to confirm appointment, receptionist told me HE WASN'T IN TODAY!!!!!!!! I had to wait 3 weeks as he was on holiday, she then said oops sorry I was on the wrong page I'm looking at tomorrow, and thankfully confirmed my 16.20 appointment, got bloody nutty assessment same hospital 18.15, now thats a report I can't wait to read!!!!!!!. Hey Ho lovely ladies, I'm an only child with no family, (don't feel sorry for me) I have my own lovely family of children daughter in law and son in laws and 5 grandchildren, but I have no family, no one for me to discuss it with, well my husband of course, but no sisters brothers cousins parents, you get the gist, I said to my lovely husband I wish I had someone to talk to who wasnt my child, be it their grown up. But someone who wasn't dependent on me if you get what I mean, anyway you guys have been great, so thank you .

BlossomHill XXX

gail259

Ithanks blossom and everyone for sharing your own experiences in this nightmare that has invaded our boobs.
The worst is definitely the waiting, when I was diagnosed the oncologist said the lump was between 15-27 mm big but had to have the MRI as my breasts are dense due to still having regular periods.
So waiting for Monday to see when I can get this little **bleep** removed and what treatment is to follow.
Watched a amazing documentary on YouTube about Victoria Derbyshire and her journey, gave me so much inspiration and know that this is happening to so many women of all ages and lifestyles.
Going to keep myself positive and know that the care team at my hospital will get me through this. Though geordie lass 😎

Ali-B

Hey There Blossom,

Thanks for noticing - trying to do my best for all the others who have recently appeared on the forum - and following all your kind examples of when you've all held me up when I was down. I am due for surgery next Thursday if all is good (got a snotty cold at the moment). My mind still plays horrible tricks on me and I've probably been googling far too much looking for those answers which I know aren't there!!! 

Sooooo got my fingers and toes crossed for you - I just know your going to get through this. 

BBFN

Alixxx

Blossom Hill

Hi Gail, I was diagnosed on 25th November, like you fit and healthy, no family history, just a routine 3 year screening. I'm 58. Due to Christmas and other factors I am having double mastectomy if my CT scan comes in clear, hoping to have that next week, the scan that is not the double MX. This site is amazing and the wonderful mainly ladies that are total strangers, all help support each other through the tough times the tears and the success, if there is one amazing thing to come out of this its how human kindness prevails. I've been diagnosed for two months and still feel like its a dream, I told my consultant on monday rthat 8 weeks ago the only thing I had to worry about was how much ironing I had!!!!! Now I feel like my life has been put in a blender and switched on without the lid, I live fearing the worst, on the surface life is the same, I go to work, shopping housework, blah blah blah, but everything is different. Don't try to get your head around it, its impossible, just hang on in there and take one day at a time, Oh and hit anybody who has never had this terrifying diagnosis who tells you TO STAY POSITIVE!!!!!, not that it isn't the right thing to do, but its bloody impossible sometimes, Good luck with your journey

BlossomHill (cos of what I drink to get me through!!!)

Blossom Hill

Hi Ali, How are you feeling? I've seen the new posts, and your words of reasureance. More people to this club we don't want to be a member of of eah. How you doing? I've plastic surgeon tomorrow, heres hoping scan next week. The result is the tricky bit eah??? 

Kind regards

BlossonHill XX

Kim555pink

I have just started down the chemo route - first one on Monday and so far so good,(Jan 2016 chemo starters thread)  although I'm not expecting that to last. But I would say mentally I'm feeling calmer.  I know they are throwing everything at me to give me the best possible chance that this wont return. I'll be having radiotherapy afterwards and hormone tablets for probaly the next 10 years. 

The worst part to deal with I found was the waiting for appointments and test results.  That really messed with my head! 

Loads of good luck to you - this forum is a great place to be 🙂 xxx

lyndsey

Hi ladies, I just wanted to add a little message here, I haven't been on here for an awful long time but just wanted to try to spread a little bit of positivity, I was diagnosed in June 2014 with triple negative breast cancer at the age of 33 my lump was 49mm I managed to get away with a lumpectomy and a further cavity shave as they didn't get clear margins first time round, I also had a sentinel lymph node biopsy which 1 of 2 nodes tested positive for cancer so had to have an ANC where a further 18 nodes were removed and all tested negative!! I had 6 rounds of FEC T chemo (which was feckin awful, I won't lie) and 15 rounds of high dose import high radiotherapy!! I am now cancer free!! Chemo for me was horrendous I was admitted into hospital almost every round of chemo had to have a blood transfusion, was neutropenic every time but hey ho I got through it and would do it all again if it meant being here at the end of it!! My daughter who was almost 3 at diagnosis needed me to be strong and get through it and that's what I did!! I'm so much stronger for it!! I've made some amazing life long friends along the way and I honestly am a changed person I live life for now and intend on enjoying my life and trying not to worry too much anymore (I used to worry about everything).

It's a bit cliche but I'm honestly a stronger person for having gone through the year from hell!

You will all get through this 🙂

I am so happy I had chemo as I feel like I have done everything I can!! I would've been more worried had I not of been told I was having chemo (I say I was told I was having chemo as that's exactly how it was I wasn't offered it I was told I was having it) all of my doctors and nurses have been amazing and I honestly Owe them my life!! I think it is pretty much the norm to have chemo if you are triple negative!! I know it's scary but god it's worth it!!

I'm here if any of you want to chat!!

Lots of love and hugs Lyndsey xxx
Lynne1955

Re: Just diagnosed - TNBC

Hi Catherine

just want to reiterate what Ali has said.  I had mx Oct borderline chemo so had oncotype dx report.  Came back 33 which meant chemo was recommended.  Had first FEC 23 Dec 2nd FEC 13 Jan  yes you do have a rough few days but its mainly fogginess and tiredness.  Today I have been shopping 7 days after chemo.  Just be positive accept there will be some off days but focus on the weeks when you know you will feel good.  I have booked something to do on the weekend prior to the next chemo as I need something to look forward to. Just look to the future and the end you can do it.  Love and hugs xx

Ali-B

Hi Catherinej - I think the best thing to do is to talk to your oncologist about this. With respect to triple negative types there is usually chemo or radiotherapy recommended as a belts/braces after the removal to make sure that any microscopic bits are zapped before you are "signed off". Not everyone has to have chemo - but it's very specific for the individual. Even if you do have to have chemo - do not be frightened - yes it is horrible you get sick, you might lose your hair etc etc BUT it's something you might find yourself just having to journey through. Apologies if my terminology is a bit 'loose' I was just trying to keep it simple just in case. Ali xxx
CatherineJ

Hi - I'm new here and reeling - I've just been diagnosed with Triple Negative Breast Cancer, I'm 49 and was feeling so healthy with a wonderful new job.

Had 5 lymph nodes removed over Xmas (which were clean)  and a lumpectomy to remove a 6mm tumour.

My question is, does everyone have to have chemo? So frightened about it all today.

Thanks for reading this.

Ali-B

Hi gail259,

You are not alone - I know you feel totally punched-in-the-gut, it is the same for all of us who have been diagnosed. I am the same as you in that I am 46, fit, healthy, eat well blah blah blah and was diagnosed just before christmas, also with no obviously family history. Keep posting here as they emotional waves hit you as you will need a place to 'release' and call the helpline if you need to. You are going to find these first few days and week tough going and trying to explain things to your nearest/dearest is going to be hard at times especially when they express their own shock (never mind you trying to mange your own!!!!).

Remember to call the helpline if you need to chat - they are marvellous and also trust your breast cancer team at the hospital they have seen it many times and will also be of great support.

Come back to us soon!

Ali xxx

gail259

I HAVE ALSO BEEN DIAGNOSED ON THE 18/01/16 WITH BREAST CANCER, TOTALY GUTTED AS NO FAMILY HISTORY, FIT AND HEALTHY, HAD MY MRI YESTERDAY, BACK TO SEE THE SPECIALIST ON MONDAY TO DISCUSE MY PLAN.TRYING TO GET MY HEAD AROUND IT IS THE HARDEST PART, I AM 55 AND NOW I HAVE TO PUT MY WHOLE LIFE ON HOLD TO FIGHT THIS.

Blondie223

Hi Maggie, you've come to the right place, there are lots of lovely ladies here, and I'm sure some will have experiences similar to yours to share.

I have no previous history of cancer but was recently diagnosed with 6mm grade one, and for now my treatment plan is the same as yours. I go for lumpectomy and sentinel lymph node biopsy next Wednesday. Take care, and hope you get some answers to your specific query soon.

Just to add - that's encouraging about your mum, expspecially as treatments will have improved since she had hers. x
Sam_BCC

Hi Maggie57

Firstly, welcome to the forums, I am sure you will find it a great source of information and support. I'm sorry to read of your diagnosis.

As well as the support you will receive here on the forums you might find it helpful to order the BCC resources pack. It has been specifically designed for those newly diagnosed and contains information to help you better understand your diagnosis, test results and the various treatments available. If you would like to order a copy just follow the link bellow:-

http://www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/diagnosed-breast-cancer/resource-pack-primary-early...

Also, do give the helpline a ring if you need any further support or information. They're on 0808 800 6000. Open 9-5 Monday to Friday and 10-2 Saturday.

Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator

Maggie57

Just diagnosed

I was just diagnosed on Tuesday and had by consult with surgeon today.  I will have a lumpectomy next Friday followed by 6 weeks of radiation and 5 years of Tamoxifen providing no lymph node involvement. I am 57 years old and a 12 year survivor of Endometrial Cancer. My crazy brain has been working overtime.  My mother was a 50 year survivor of BC and just died last August at the age of 91 of natural causes.  I just had the gene test for Lynch Syndrome as I am pretty sure that I will test positive.  Any advice?