Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just diagnosed

40 REPLIES 40
Fuffs123

Re: Just diagnosed

Hi ladies.
Just wanted to send you some virtual hugs and support. I too have days when I don't want to get out of bed and really I think I grieve for my pre diagnosis life. It does feel like you will never be the same person again. However, reading posts from those who have gone thro treatment and are back to being their old selves helps me feel hopeful that I will too. I had no idea that the emotional side would be so hard and the waiting so very difficult. A week seems like twice that in BC time, some sort of parallel universe! Have my appt with the onc next Wednesday and am worried they might want me to have chemo. My income comes from my business so being sidelined for any length of time will affect my income very severely. Anyway, just battling on, which is all we can do really. Wising everyone waiting for results good luck and thinking of you all xx
Jo_BCC

Hi ladies,

After reading your posts I have put for you below the link to the area of this website where managing stress and anxiety is discussed and hope you find it helpful.

http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/breast-cancer-information/impact-breast-cancer/coping-emotionally...

Also our helpline team are just a free phone call away to help you through this 0808 800 6000 lines open weekdays 9-5 and Saturdays 10-2.

You might also like to join in with our General Live Chat session which runs every Thursday evening between 8.30pm and 9.30pm  The session is hosted by one of our nursing team who is there to help answer any of your questions.  The regular users of this service are a wonderful support to each other, where you can 'talk' in real time.  I have put you the link below to Live Chat and hope you'll come and join us.

http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/community/chat

Take care,

Jo, Moderator

teacher39

Hi Tra16

Only been 6 days for me too. I don't even know how big my lump is but it is the fact that it is in the lymph nodes that has scared me. That's all I got told last week. Appt is tomorrow so I suppose I'll know more then but it's the CT scan I want and don't even know when that is yet!

Like you, just want the treatment plan and that might hopefully make me feel more in control.

teacher39

No I completely understand what you're saying. You might not feel it is helpful but maybe it is. You have every right to be angry about what has happened. And the patience you must have dealing with all this so far. I'm only on day 6 and I'm a basket case. I went nuts searching on Google the other day and scared myself stupid. Luckily I stopped and now the only website I am using is this one.

Tra16

Hi, in having a down day too- it's a week since I was told but feels like months ! Had one scan yest and got another one tomorrow and then waiting for an appt for results. My lump is 8mm but as few cells in nodes I'm scared it's spread. Trying to keep it together but it waves over me and I just want my pre diagnosis life back! I hope we all get our appts and treatment plans soon and we can then get in a good mindset of kicking this into touch and getting our lives back. Virtual hugs to you all x
Molliana

I'm sorry. That's not helpful.
I know i can't do any of those things but that's what I want. I can't have it so I have to get out from under the duvet and face each day as it comes. Because that's what I have to do 😞
Molliana

I don't cope. I just want things to go back to the way they were. I want someone to fix it. I want to wake up from this hideous nightmare. I don't want to make decisions I am happy with because I am not happy with any of it. I just want to hide under my duvet 😞
teacher39

Thanks Gilly

Must admit, after having two ok days, have absolutely crashed today. Just overwhelmed by how much everything has changed and this constant feeling of fear. Have convinced myself that it has already spread and there is no way forward. I just want things to go back to how they were.

I know everyone feels like this at some point and it's only day 6 but how on earth do you all cope.

Butterfly318

Evening Molliana

Do not worry that you've not had staging scans.  Some hospitals do them others don't.  In reality every Consultant has slightly different ways of working and actually you can only be given an indicator from any scan / biopsy.  Once any tumour is removed it is subject to Pathology testing for confirmation of grade which usually matches the prediction / indicator but can be different. Same with staging which can only be confirmed once they know how many nodes (if any) are involved the actual size of the tumour etc.

I was diagnosed with what appeared to be 6.5cm grade 3 tumour, highly likely to be in nodes..... from Ultrasound / biopsy x 3.  Had Chemo first to shrink tumour before surgery so had heart scan (which is just to get a baseline) prior to Chemo and and Chest Xray prior to surgery.  No other scans and i still haven' t had any other scans.  I am 2.1/2 years on from my diagnosis, had reconstruction last year and this just needs some further tweaking..

Had Fec T(Chemo) x 6 then surgery.  Tumour turned out to 4.2cm   Grade 2 not 3 and in only 1/23 nodes.

You ladies are right the waiting is the worst thing and i felt that i was drip fed the infomation which was quite irritating but with hindsight i guess we can only process so much information at once.

Please just focus on keeping some normality in your lives, keep to your routine and trust the experts to do their job.  Keep posting and ask anything that concerns you 'cos you will get replies and support on this forum.

Take Care   Gilly x  

teacher39

Yes, it is. Still waiting to know my CT appt. Keep checking the mail.

When is your appt? I hope it goes ok.

Fuffs123

Well I never thought I'd be glad to go and see an oncologist (!) but at last my appt has come through. . One step nearer to knowing my treatment plan at least. It's the waiting that's the killer isn't it. X
teacher39

Thanks for the supportive message. Is really helping as I'm in school as normal but at the same time everything has changed. Good luck for Thursday

teacher39

Thank you. It has only been a few days but already everyone on the site has been so supportive.

Purposeful would be good. Thank you for your reply.

gazzlyn

Hi Ladies, Just wanted to wish you all the best when you finally get your results.  The waiting (as you all know) is really the worst part of all this.  Once you have your plan and you know what you are dealing with it becomes easier.  I hope you all get good results and start whatever treatment you need as soon as possible so you can start the journey and then get on with your life again.  I was diagnosed by routine mammogram, had surgery and hoped I would need radiotherapy, hormone treatment and that would be it.  Unfortunately cant have hormone treatment so chemo it had to be.  Have had my first one and 2nd one due on Thursday.  You will get lots of support on the forum and dont be scared to share your worries and concerns as we all feel them aswell and I am sure there will always be someone out there that can offer reassurance to you.

Big hugs to you all

Lynda xxx

Herewego

It will get so much calmer and purposeful when you get your treatment plan. Until then unfortunately it's just hang in there whichever way you can.
It will get easier down the line I promise xx
teacher39

Thank you. That is exactly how I'm feeling at the moment. Yes, I keep being told to 'be positive' when actually I just want to be practical and know what I'm up against.

Thanks again.

Jax2000

The waiting is definitely the worse part as all sorts of scenarios run through your mind once you get the initial diagnosis. I'm not sure other people understand this - they have good intentions and try to reassure you by saying "be positive" or "treatment for BC is good nowadays so you'll be fine, when do you start yours". Problem is this waiting period - which is dependent on the type/stage of your cancer - is a very difficult time. You may need to undergo various tests and then maybe further tests (I've had mammogram, biopsies x 2, CT & PET scans). You have no idea what is going on with your body, the prognosis or even the treatment plan. This is what is hard and stressful. Once the results are back and treatment actually starts I felt much better emotionally so good luck with yours.
Tra16

Hi teacher, I'm having all those scans this week. They have told me as there are a few cells in the lymph, it's routine. I think we are wary because we were reassured we most likely had cysts and then it was BC. It's hard to have faith. X
Molliana

I haven't had any staging scans. I wonder why ...?
teacher39

Thank you lolly73, this is reassuring. I can understand why this is the most stressful time - I just want to know what I am dealing with. So scared as it has already spread to the lymph nodes and just want to know that it has not spread further.

lolly73

Most hosps do staging scans once ur diagnosed, before any treatment. These include, ct, bone and mri scans. All routine but def the most stressful time of it all. Good luck xx

teacher39

Did anyone else out there have a CT scan before starting their treatment?

Is this normal or a sign that they think it has already spread?

Fluffydave

Hi teacher, yes mine are swollen and painful. I do find the pain comes and goes, I take painkillers to help me. I was also told that they were doing there job, I hope they are right
teacher39

Looking for some reassurance this morning. For the past few weeks, my lymph nodes have been swollen and painful and I was reassured that this was just the lymph nodes doing their job. This morning for the first time no pain. Did anyone else have pain and swelling in their lymph nodes? Did it come and go?

catchpole

Hi Teacher,

It may be only the first lymph node, when they took my biopsey it was the first one only that was affected, so they took them all, i was happy with this. as i know the damm C as i call it, can lurk,  All rest were clear, so no chemo.  So hopefully yours might be same.  june

Molliana

I am 40. x
June_BCC

Hello Fluffydave

Welcome to the forums. 

I'm sorry to hear of your diagnosis, the first few weeks are always difficult when coming to terms with your diagnosis and treatment.

As well as the support you will receive on the forums you might find it helpful to order the BCC resources pack. It has been specifically designed for those newly diagnosed and contains information to help you understand your diagnosis, test results and the various treatments available. If you would like to order a copy just follow the link bellow:-

http://www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/diagnosed-breast-cancer/resource-pack-primary-early...

You may also like to talk things through with one of the helpline staff, they are there to offer emotional support as well as provide information. The free phone number is 0808 800 6000 and lines are open 9-5 Monday to Friday and 10-2 Saturday.

Best wishes

June, moderator

Fluffydave

Hi I'm the same as you. I'm 36 and went it the drs with pain in my right breast, they said it would be nothing to worry about and it would be just a cyst. After a whole day at hospital they suspected cancer and I had biopsy taken. Went back in Friday for confirmation. I have grade 3 invasive ductal, that has spread to my lymph nodes. I'm now waiting for a bone and ct scan to see if it has spread. I hate all this waiting, it is swollen and hurts
Tra16

And you for Thursday 12th x
teacher39

Good luck on Thursday. Take care.

teacher39

Good luck for this week.

Tra16

I also got told by two docs looked like a cyst- smooth and moveable, but was referred for my peace of mind! I'm 40 with no family history. I first went to doc on 1feb and then 4 march they said it was cancer also a few cells in lymph under arm. I too am swollen and tender. I have all my scans and tests this coming week to see if it has spread and I agree this is the scariest part, not knowing what you are fighting. But this site and all the ladies on it have been so supportive and positive. X
Tra16

I also got told by two docs looked like a cyst- smooth and moveable, but was referred for my peace if mind! I'm 40 with no family history. I first went to doc on 1feb and then 4 march they said it was cancer also a few cells in lymph under arm. I too am swollen and tender. I have all my scans and tests this coming week to see if it has spread and I agree this is the scariest part, not knowing what you are fighting. But this site and all the ladies on it have been so supportive and positive. X
judimam

Hi I didn't want to read and run as I am also 39 with no family history. I was diagnosed on 27th Feb with grade 3 invasive ductal. Don't know if it has spread to my lymp nodes, scan looked clear but they will remove some when I have my lumpectomy on Thursday. Take care xxc
teacher39

Mainly shocked. I have told a few friends and family and discussing it with them has helped.

The waiting is very difficult and I am very aware of the lump and especially the lymph nodes because they are swollen and sore. Once I have the full test results back and the CT back, I think I will have a clearer head. It will be a very different thing to deal with if the cancer has already spread.

How are you?

H20

Can I ask how old you both are
Molliana

Hi.
Waiting is horrible. I have been waiting and every step of the way has been delays. I found my lump before Xmas and have had two biopsies and a lumpectomy and areexcision and now am waiting for mx on 17th March which means chemo won't start til mid April! They say it's ok tho so i just have to believe them. They tell me on the mainland the waiting times between each step could have been six weeks and it still wouldn't have matter.
A mammogram and ultrasound is the usual procedure before doing a biopsy. At least that's what happened with me.
teacher39

Yes. I went for the hospital appt thinking they would say it was a cyst.

They gave me an examination, then a mammogram, ultrasound and two biopsies.

They had a fairly good idea based on the mammogram and ultrasound but couldn't confirm until they had the biopsies back.

H20

Hi sorry you're going through a hard time at such a young age too, good luck for Thursday i hope
It hasn't spread. I have an ultrasound and mammogram on weds, did you have these first?? Is that what gave them the decision to do biopsy?
June_BCC

Hello Teacher39

Welcome to the forums. 

I'm sorry to hear of your diagnosis, the first few weeks are always difficult when coming to terms with your diagnosis and treatment.
As well as the support you will receive on the forums you might find it helpful to order the BCC resources pack. It has been specifically designed for those newly diagnosed and contains information to help you understand your diagnosis, test results and the various treatments available. If you would like to order a copy just follow the link bellow:-

http://www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/diagnosed-breast-cancer/resource-pack-primary-early...

You may also like to talk things through with one of the helpline staff, they are there to offer emotional support as well as provide information. The free phone number is 0808 800 6000 and lines are open 9-5 Monday to Friday and 10-2 Saturday.

Best wishes

June, moderator

teacher39

Just diagnosed

Found a lump on 7th Feb. Took a week to get a doctor's appt then another two weeks for a hospital appt. Had a biopsy on 27th Feb to my breast lump and lymph nodes. A week later (6th March) I was told they had both come back positive for cancer. I am 39 years old with no family history. I have to go back on Thu (12th) for more test results, a CT scan over the next 10 days and my lumpectomy has been booked for 8th April. My first reaction is that this seems a long time to wait without treatment as the cancer is already in my lymph nodes. Waiting to see if the cancer has spread to other parts of the body is proving the most stressful thing.