Just diagnosed

Hi everyone, I was diagnosed on Friday and am new here. Had CT and bone scan yesterday as I have lymph node involvement and am now terrified it has spread. Positive stories please?!! xx

Hi Sinead.
I’m sorry to hear of your diagnosis. Welcome to the forum you’ll find loads of positive stories here. I too have lymph node involvement and had a CT nuclear bone scan and a PET scan before starting treatment. I started chemo last Thursday and so far doing good. Have they told you what your treatment will be yet? Sometimes with lymph node involvement they do chemo first then an op which is my plan.

Anytime you want you can come on here and get support.

Cassie x

Hi Cassie, the plan is chemo first then surgery including removal of lymph nodes. I am trying to be positive and just want to get started on treatment but am just so scared that the scans will show up something else. I am having trouble with my breathing (probably due to anxiety and I’m also asthmatic) and just keep thinking the worst. The waiting is awful! X

The waiting is the worse bit. I was 6 weeks from diagnosis to treatment starting due to all the scans they wanted to do. Do you have a date for scan results? I tried to think up to that time only and not beyond. Thinking too far ahead sends my brain spiralling out of control.
There’s no real tip for coping with the waiting and associated nerves. It helped me to keep busy so I spent little time as possible worrying about it. Try and go out and enjoy yourself even tho it will be at the back of your mind.

Cassie x

Results on Friday at my next appointment I think. Trying to keep busy- I have a 15 month old daughter so she takes my mind off of it all! Also had my eyebrows tattooed today lol! Fingers crossed for good news and I can get started on getting rid of it! Xx

That sounds really positive Cherry, I am hoping I will be able to keep up work but will just need to take each day as it comes I suppose. A wig is the next thing on my to do list! X

Sinead you have come to the best place for support! Waiting for the scan results is the worst time - i convinced myself the cancer had spread but the scans eere clear. Feel reassured that whatever they say on Friday the most important thing is that they will tell your your treatment plan and your road to recovery will start. Big hugs xx

Just had a call from the hospital- scans were clear. Phew! Should get my full treatment plan on Friday. I am going to be having herceptin injections as Her2+ - has anyone had experience of these? I’m not sure whether they are given at the same time as chemo? X

I am Her2+ and will have Herceptin. I have been told that mine will start with my radiotherapy. I had no node involvement and clear margins following surgery and was told that I would have to have chemo to have the Herceptin which is the real magic bullet with her2. I am having 6 x FEC 75 the first one of which I had today. The fear of the unknown was far worse than actually having it for me. I am just waiting to see what side effects I get. Nearly 6 hours in I feel a bit spaced and slightly nauseous and quite emotional.
Best of luck with your treatment

So glad your scansxwere clear Sinead. My cancer is grade 2 ER+ and her2+. I am having neoadjuvant treatment (before surgery) so i am having 3 FEC then 4 Docetaxol with herceptin and Permuzetab(the new targeted treatment for Her2). A month after treatment finishes i am having a masectomy and the herceptin njections will carry on every 3 weeks for a year. I am having a masectomy and not a lumpectome as i had radiotherapy last year so cant have it again. You will soon know what treatment is planned for you. It is all tailored to the individual. Stay strong. You can do this xx

Hi Helena, i am doing ok thanks. Day 8 and have almost felt normal. I have been posting in the Sept and Oct monthly chemo threads. Great support, advice and encouragement on both. As always xxx

Thank you to all you ladies for your support, it is so nice to know that you are not alone! Xx

I dont need to write anyrhing else as all the beautiful ladies have said it all! Youe really are bunch of gems! All the best Sinead for your treatment and see you on the threads. Have lots of cuddles with little one.xxx