Just diagnosed

told I have cancer in my left breast on my 53rd wedding anniversary. I took it on the chin as I suspected this was what I would hear. CT scan on Monday and bone scan on Friday, this is the part I am starting to freak about in case it has spread. Reading through various replies I really do not know which route to go down about whether to have reconstruction immediately using fat from abdomen. I play golf and go to gym and also do Aqua. My head is so screwed at the moment I am sure I will make a wrong decision as to my recovery enabling me to get back to golf etc. I am very active, although overweight. My husband is active and enjoys golf and gym with me and I am worrying this will all pull him down as he is such a worrier. I am such a positive person but you would never guess from this. I will stay strong - promise.

Hi Lena2, sorry you’ve had to join our horrible club, but the members are wonderful :slight_smile:  

Firstly, no need at all to apologise for feeling awful or promise to be strong, we’ve all been there and it just isn’t possible to be strong all the time as this is a scary and difficult time to get through.  Having to wade through the endless medical jargon just to figure out what exactly you’re dealing with and possible treatment options would be hard work even if you didn’t have to deal with the stress of the diagnosis.  Seems unfair that we have to make major decisions just when our brains are at their most fried with information/fear overload.

Are you definitely having a mastectomy or is breast conserving surgery an option for you? 

Take care of yourself

xx

Sharon

Hi Lena2 and welcome to the club.
Reconstruction is very personal decision after mx - some people go for immediate reconstruction while others decide to wait (and some never want one in the end).
I had a lumpectomy and nodes removal and although I’m quite lopsided I’ve decided to leave it as it is as I can’t face another op.
Good luck with whatever you decide Lena x

I am having an immediate reconstruction using a muscle from my back. It’s called an Ld flap reconstruction. I am only 36C so they think they can do it without an implant. It’s highly likely I will need radiotherapy x

hi Lena2. Not much of a wedding anniversary then, shame. I had an op on my birthday, 10 Feb, so much more exciting than a box of choccies or a bunch of flowers, ha ha. To be serious, my husband is also a worrier but we try to talk everything through and also give each other some space. Sometimes you just need a bit of time on your own, to get your head around it, especially if you’re feeling fine. Sending you some virtual hugs x

Sorry to hear you have joined the ‘club’. Forums are great for information or if you just want to rant. Sending you hugs Gules xx

HI there Lena

I had the reconstruction using my tummy fat for my left boob and 2 weeks ago had an implant on the right.

The recovery from the DIEP is harder as there are 2 wounds sites ( tummy and boob) but I did it. Was home 4 days after surgery and with lovely support from friends ( family meals cooked for us for 2 weeks) I came out the other side with a very lovely breast. I went from a 36 DD to 38 D. Don’t know why Ize in my rib cage. That seemed to happen after surgery. I am a dance teacher and the tummy was very sore after op so I didn’t get back to vigourous teaching for a bit but am fne now.

The implant is new ( 2 weeks). It feels heavy at the moment as I’m swollen but it looks good. Bruised and battered but I can see it’s going to be fine. I won’t exercise for another week or so but then I’m going to try to start doing something on a gentle scale.

Please ask me anything you like. I have 2 different surgery experiences and all quite recently ( sadly)

Keep strong. We are in it together. xx