Just diagnosed

Found a lump on 7th Feb. Took a week to get a doctor’s appt then another two weeks for a hospital appt. Had a biopsy on 27th Feb to my breast lump and lymph nodes. A week later (6th March) I was told they had both come back positive for cancer. I am 39 years old with no family history. I have to go back on Thu (12th) for more test results, a CT scan over the next 10 days and my lumpectomy has been booked for 8th April. My first reaction is that this seems a long time to wait without treatment as the cancer is already in my lymph nodes. Waiting to see if the cancer has spread to other parts of the body is proving the most stressful thing.

Hello Teacher39

Welcome to the forums. 

I’m sorry to hear of your diagnosis, the first few weeks are always difficult when coming to terms with your diagnosis and treatment.
As well as the support you will receive on the forums you might find it helpful to order the BCC resources pack. It has been specifically designed for those newly diagnosed and contains information to help you understand your diagnosis, test results and the various treatments available. If you would like to order a copy just follow the link bellow:-

www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/diagnosed-breast-cancer/resource-pack-primary-early-breast-cancer-bcc145

You may also like to talk things through with one of the helpline staff, they are there to offer emotional support as well as provide information. The free phone number is 0808 800 6000 and lines are open 9-5 Monday to Friday and 10-2 Saturday.

Best wishes

June, moderator

Hi sorry you’re going through a hard time at such a young age too, good luck for Thursday i hope
It hasn’t spread. I have an ultrasound and mammogram on weds, did you have these first?? Is that what gave them the decision to do biopsy?

Hi.
Waiting is horrible. I have been waiting and every step of the way has been delays. I found my lump before Xmas and have had two biopsies and a lumpectomy and areexcision and now am waiting for mx on 17th March which means chemo won’t start til mid April! They say it’s ok tho so i just have to believe them. They tell me on the mainland the waiting times between each step could have been six weeks and it still wouldn’t have matter.
A mammogram and ultrasound is the usual procedure before doing a biopsy. At least that’s what happened with me.

Can I ask how old you both are

Hi I didn’t want to read and run as I am also 39 with no family history. I was diagnosed on 27th Feb with grade 3 invasive ductal. Don’t know if it has spread to my lymp nodes, scan looked clear but they will remove some when I have my lumpectomy on Thursday. Take care xxc

I also got told by two docs looked like a cyst- smooth and moveable, but was referred for my peace if mind! I’m 40 with no family history. I first went to doc on 1feb and then 4 march they said it was cancer also a few cells in lymph under arm. I too am swollen and tender. I have all my scans and tests this coming week to see if it has spread and I agree this is the scariest part, not knowing what you are fighting. But this site and all the ladies on it have been so supportive and positive. X

I also got told by two docs looked like a cyst- smooth and moveable, but was referred for my peace of mind! I’m 40 with no family history. I first went to doc on 1feb and then 4 march they said it was cancer also a few cells in lymph under arm. I too am swollen and tender. I have all my scans and tests this coming week to see if it has spread and I agree this is the scariest part, not knowing what you are fighting. But this site and all the ladies on it have been so supportive and positive. X

And you for Thursday 12th x

Hi I’m the same as you. I’m 36 and went it the drs with pain in my right breast, they said it would be nothing to worry about and it would be just a cyst. After a whole day at hospital they suspected cancer and I had biopsy taken. Went back in Friday for confirmation. I have grade 3 invasive ductal, that has spread to my lymph nodes. I’m now waiting for a bone and ct scan to see if it has spread. I hate all this waiting, it is swollen and hurts

I am 40. x

Hi teacher, yes mine are swollen and painful. I do find the pain comes and goes, I take painkillers to help me. I was also told that they were doing there job, I hope they are right

Did anyone else out there have a CT scan before starting their treatment?

Is this normal or a sign that they think it has already spread?

I haven’t had any staging scans. I wonder why …?

Hi teacher, I’m having all those scans this week. They have told me as there are a few cells in the lymph, it’s routine. I think we are wary because we were reassured we most likely had cysts and then it was BC. It’s hard to have faith. X

The waiting is definitely the worse part as all sorts of scenarios run through your mind once you get the initial diagnosis. I’m not sure other people understand this - they have good intentions and try to reassure you by saying “be positive” or “treatment for BC is good nowadays so you’ll be fine, when do you start yours”. Problem is this waiting period - which is dependent on the type/stage of your cancer - is a very difficult time. You may need to undergo various tests and then maybe further tests (I’ve had mammogram, biopsies x 2, CT & PET scans). You have no idea what is going on with your body, the prognosis or even the treatment plan. This is what is hard and stressful. Once the results are back and treatment actually starts I felt much better emotionally so good luck with yours.

Well I never thought I’d be glad to go and see an oncologist (!) but at last my appt has come through. . One step nearer to knowing my treatment plan at least. It’s the waiting that’s the killer isn’t it. X

I don’t cope. I just want things to go back to the way they were. I want someone to fix it. I want to wake up from this hideous nightmare. I don’t want to make decisions I am happy with because I am not happy with any of it. I just want to hide under my duvet :frowning:

I’m sorry. That’s not helpful.
I know i can’t do any of those things but that’s what I want. I can’t have it so I have to get out from under the duvet and face each day as it comes. Because that’s what I have to do :frowning:

Hi, in having a down day too- it’s a week since I was told but feels like months ! Had one scan yest and got another one tomorrow and then waiting for an appt for results. My lump is 8mm but as few cells in nodes I’m scared it’s spread. Trying to keep it together but it waves over me and I just want my pre diagnosis life back! I hope we all get our appts and treatment plans soon and we can then get in a good mindset of kicking this into touch and getting our lives back. Virtual hugs to you all x