1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just dx with liver mets

Morwenna

Re: Just dx with liver mets

Sorry you have had such worrying news Angela. I think you sound remarkably brave, and sending {{{cyberhugs}}} your way!
valkeh

Diagnosed with liver and bone mets last year. 5 months after my 1st all clear ( yearly appointment). I was 40years old at the time of the secondaries.. I think my shock was even greater than the initial cancer diagnosis..I feel for you. However, you are lucky that you were in the trial and found it early! I know sounds stupid but it's true! Don't give up. Many therapeutical options out there. Keep fighting!
Big hugs
Valia
x
Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Angela,

I am sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I was diagnosed with mets in bones and liver in 2008 age 42 years old although I have now been told that what showed up in liver is probably not cancer. I am HER 2 and ER positive. I am now 47 years old. I have been on herceptin since 2008 and touch wood over the last 4.5 years I have not had any progression. Nearly 5 years on from my diagnosis there are now lot more drugs for us HER 2 women, i.e. perjeta, lapatinib and TDM 1. These new drugs are all targetted therpies and as a consequence do less damage to healthy cells hence quality of life can be maintained during long term treatment. The new drugs will also have a positive impact on the prognosis of women who are diagnosed with secondary BC that is HER 2. I still work full time and do all the things that I used to do.
Receiving the news that you have secondary breast cancer is devastating for the person concerned and their family. My experience is that once you have a proper treatment plan in place you will be begin to feel a bit less anxious. I found that as time goes on I have relatively few bad day's and am better able to cope with the uncertainty that a secondary diagnosis brings. This forum has been helpful to me as I have learnt a lot about cancer, side effects from treatments etc. I also attend a support group for woment who have been diagnosed with secondary BC.

Alex
poemsgalore

Dear Angela,

So sorry to hear of your recent DX. It might be a tough fight for you, but hopefully you will continue to have a good quality of life for many years to come. Wishing you luck, strength, and much love.

Poemsgalore xxx
elliedog

Thanks mrsblue
Hopefully I will take to the Herceptin and keep it under control. The nurse at the hospital said she has a lady that takes Herceptin and has done for the past ten years she was my age when she was dx (43) and still has a good quality of life. So I know I will have my ups and downs but at this minute I am feeling healthy, I have no symptons so I intend to enjoy that and my family for as long as possible.I know I wont be an old lady but as long as I can see my boys into adults that will do for me anything else will be a bonus. Could I ask one question I will be starting chemo very soon with SE of loosing hair etc is there other types of chemo that dont involve loosing hair nails etc. Im not quite up to speed with the different types of chemo yet but I guess I may have to revisit chemo at some point. I would just like to say what a help all the ladies on this site have been to me over the past few days. I have read my way through most of the threads now and I can honestly say that you have turned my head from thinking I was going to die tommorrow to thinking I can fight this and I will fight this. Thank you everyone and thank you mrsblue for resonding my post. Iam now of to take the boys to their rugby presentation ( rugby mad family) so hopefully give myself rest from this panic feeling that keeps creeping up on me hope it gets easier with time.
mrsblue

Hi Angela
I don't know if you used these forums during your primary treatment, but this is a good place to go for support - almost certainly you'll find someone who has been in a similar situation, so we can understand something of what you're going through.
I hope it will encourage you to know that I was dx with multiple liver mets (I've never dared to ask how many) in 2009, and to my surprise I still have good quality of life today. My BCN said that they can get good control of liver secondaries if they find the right treatment.... big IF... I have had several chemos and hormonals (Herceptin is not for me) and there are newer options and clinical trials becoming available.
And probably a good idea to try the BCC helpline soon... or as it's the weekend, there are threads in the Secondaries section about liver mets, you could have a look at these.
Sam_BCC

Hi Angela

I’m sorry to read of your recent diagnosis and that you are having a pretty tough time at the moment. I’m sure the users of this site will be along to support you soon.

In the meantime I have put here the link to the page with details of the secondary support services and information which you might find useful to look at:-

http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/secondaries?utm_source=Homepage&%3Butm_medium=help_you&%3Butm_cam...

Also sometimes it can be helpful to talk things through with a member of our helpline staff who are there to offer emotional support as well as practical information. The free phone number is 0808 800 6000 and the lines are open Monday to Friday 9.00 to 5.00 and Saturday 10.00 to 2.00.

Best wishes Sam, BCC Facilitator

elliedog

Just dx with liver mets

I have just been informed by my onc that through an MRI scan they found a pea size spot on my liver. This was unexpected as I was only dx in feb with BC followed by a right breast mx and node clearance. I was entering into trials hence the MRI. The consultant was also shocked. The plan so far is chemo, a drug they have to get funding for, rads, long term herceptin. As you can imagine I feel devastated. I have children 9 and 14 and cant imagine leaving them. My OH keeps saying I shouldnt think that way as there are many treatments out there and he expects me to be around for a long time. But I know the reality is that there are know certainties and I need to come to terms with this some how.I am so scared but am trying to keep a brave face for the sake of those around me. I keep being told that this is not curable but is treatable like a chronic deseace, I dont know what to think. I have read so much on this site and can see all the positive stories and just hope I will be the same. Oh they also said they might operate if they can excess the area after chemo but I dont think that will happen. Can any help with any words of wisdom.
Angela xxx