Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just found out i have breast cancer

8 REPLIES 8
VerityC

Re: Just found out i have breast cancer

Hi Kellycoo,
I feel for you - as I am sure other readers of your post will too. I am much older than you, but my children were similar ages to your older two when I was diagnosed, and I lost my husband to cancer a few years back, not to mention uncles, aunts and grandparents, so I understand the sense of foreboding that previous experience of the disease brings. I can only imagine what it must be like having a child as young as 20 months at this stage of your diagnosis. Your fears and tears are perfectly natural!!
HOWEVER, once you have a treatment plan in place you will hopefully start to feel more positive and in control and there is SO much that can be done now. A year ago I was given the devastating news that I had aggressive tumours that had spread to my lymph nodes and my liver. It was a complete shock and I thought my children were soon to be orphans. Since then I have endured chemotherapy,( which was not too bad an experience for me), lost my hair and got used to wearing a fetching wig, had a mastectomy and reconstruction, had radio frequency ablation to the liver and have been NED (NO EVIDENCE OF DISEASE) for five months. I feel great and although I continue on Herceptin I am enjoying and looking forward to life again.
The point of all this is to tell you that there really IS hope and you have much to live for, which can be used to help you cope and pull through. Of course you will have experiences that you would rather not have, and it is perfectly ok to feel sorry for yourself, but you may be surprised at the strength you will find too.
My very best wishes to you, and your father!!
Verity.

VerityC

Hi hmblower
I think the tingling in your arm probably is a good sign. I had that too and I now have feeling back in the arm. In one part it is a dulled level of feeling, not as sharp and clear as the rest of my arm, but it is feeling/sensation of a good standard nonetheless.
Good luck!
Verity

raechi

Hi Kelly,
Bless you I can totally understand the total feeling of devastation you must be feeling right now. I was the same age a you when diagnosed (have now turned 37). I have just finished my chemo and am now waiting foyummy surgery.
I think you have really had a double whammy. Asif dealing with your dads news isn't hard enough you have your own diagnosis to contend with. I too had a similar fear as cancer took my dad when he was 44 and I wasconvinced I was going to end up the same way. I talked this through with my breast cancer nurse and she helped me rationalise. Of course it's a logical fear and it is normal to feel scared. But as she keeps telling me, breast cancer is a treatable illness.
You will go through a whole range of emotions more than likely. Tears, anger, frustration, sadness, the 'why me', fear. And again all of those are completely normal. Cry when you need to, get it all out. I took the attitude ( and this is just hon handled it) was that there was no way this was going to beat me and I am going to fight to kick its ass. I wanted to carry on as Normal a life as I possibly could.
I carried on working through my chemo, and was probably not an ideal patient as I went out when I coulsand had a glass of wine if I wanted one. I didn't get on with wigs or scarves so went commando mot of the time too.
Do you even know what treatment you will be having yet? I promise hand on heart it is doable. It's not nice, but youcome out the other side. Chemo is draining and tiring. But I am now 4 weeks after the end of my chemo and I am feeling a bit more like me again. And you will too.

What I am trying to say (although probably not making a very good job of it), you have every right to feel All of the emotions you feel..
If you have any questions, or just want to talk I am more than happy for you to send me a message.
Pleae dont feel you are alone, these forums are an excellent support.
Take care,
Rae
X

TotallyConfuse

Kelly - really sorry! I can help by listening if you want someone to chat to? x
Guest user
Not applicable

I hope my post has been received, as it said you were having technial problems
Guest user
Not applicable

I felt the same, in shock and denial, but have just had a mascectomy for Her2 node positive, so clearance has been done, now its wait for results time, I dread chemo as I have other health problems, which affect my mouth, and also liver complications, I know Heprecetin was mentioned and also radiotherapy, so the next few weeks will be anxious to say the least, but whatever it takes it will have to be done. I was surprised after the surgery I expected alot of pain, especially underarm, but no incisions there, just at the front, I find the exercises very helpful, although the feeling at the back of my arm is now coming back tingling, I think that is a good sign, perhaps some will let me know
carrie35

Hi Kellycoo yes it is normal to be an emotional wreck at the moment and cry at the most silly things and for no reason. You are in shock and a cup of sweet tea is not going to fix this and pull you out of it. It will take while for you to come to terms with your situation and in some respect those around you that love you make it worse as they are trying to help but probably not. Once you start treatments then you will be stronger.
Take some time out now to focus on you, make sure you take someone to every appointment who can make notes for you or ask questions on your behalf. I went to my radiography planning session and couldn't stop crying for no reason so my mother in law took charge and asked everything needed.
Now 8 months down the l am stronger and dont think about dying 24/7 and i am concentrating on living. I have forgotten or blanked out the nightmare and only get emotional when I have a check up and all the anxiety comes back.
Best of luck x

Jo_BCC

Hi kellyco

You have come to the right place, but unfortunately due to technical problems we are experiencing on this website your post did not go live onto the system. I can only offer you our sincere apologies for this at a time when you most needed support from the many informed users of this site, who I am sure will now be along shortly to offer you that support.

Please do not hesitate to contact our helpline team if you need a good listening ear, no question is a silly question, our staff are here to support you. Calls to the helpline are free, 0808 800 6000 lines open Mon-Fri 9-5 and Sat 10-2

Take care,

Jo, Facilitator

Guest user
Not applicable

Just found out i have breast cancer

Hi
I hope i am posting this in the right place.
Tuesday i went to find out my biopsy results and found out that i have breast cancer. I don't know exactly what is going on yet. I know the lump is about 2cm and that i have to have an op and chemo. I went back today for a microbubbles (not sure if this is the right word) test to see if there are cells in the glands under my arm but the bubbles wouldn't go to the right place and the biopsy couldn't be taken. I don't really know what happens next my head is in a bit of a whirl as you can imagine.
I didn't think i would be facing this yet as i am only 36. I am more worried for my children who are 16, 13 and just 20 months. I am so worried that i won't be around for them growing up especially my youngest as if something happened to me she wouldn't even remember me. I'm sorry i am being so morbid but i can't really discuss these feelings with my family as they get too upset.
It hasn't helped that also on tuesday my dad found out that his lung cancer that has returned is incurable so of course i am also worried for my dad but also it has got me thinking again about my cancer spreading.
Tuesday i felt really calm but now i am really emotional and just can't seem to stop crying when i look at my little one, is this normal?
I would really appreciate any tips or advice on how to stay strong and get through this.
Thanks for reading
kelly