68.5K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just got head round next step after op and petrified....

110 REPLIES 110
PapaM

Re: Just got head round next step after op and petrified....

Sorry to read that you had a reaction to the Radiotherapy, but pleased to hear that "hubby" is stepping into the breach. Sort of nice to read about your "genetics lady", brought back a memory of an overbusy lady, who without lifting her head from her notes, started to ask me about prostheses and breast reconstruction - thought she was asking if my wife wanted a boob job !!

Happy birthday for next week, from the bits I have read on this site - wine is a wonderful way of smoothing out the whole experience, so enjoy. Toodle pip XXX Papa M 

Debradebs

Glad you feeling ok ..was only thinking about you this morning hoping you are ok ....ringing the bell with all the family around seems such a long time ago ..only 3 weeks ....I've a had a bad reaction to radiotherapy all burnt but my hubby who I now call nurse has been in charge of dressings and doing a fab job x going on a course that lasts 2 hours and 4 sessions about life moving forward the end of the month covering diet..physio..breast care nurse and another who for life if me can't remember...my memory is awful..I'm lucky if I can finish a sentence or remember what I was talking about ...had a blood test last week to test for the faulty bracca gene..such fun ..when the genetics lady asked my hubby if he was the father of both my kids we said yes ..then she asked is my hubby and I where blood relatives ..she must see some interesting people...anyway enough rambling ..my birthday next week going out for lunch with a few girlies hoping this year has to better than the last **bleep** one here's to both our healthy futures with lots of energy and hair xx
PapaM

Hi there, just thought I would give an update. It is 4+ weeks since I got to ring the bell, and I am just back from Inverness. The wound is fine and the reddened area from the Radiotherapy is starting to look less angry, although it does feel a wee bit 'tight' on occasion. The toe and fingernails have started to grow back, I can almost get the little finger, on the right, to give a scratch to an itch, almost ! Have seen the Oncologist and she seems quite pleased with the response to treatment.

I know that I used to work for the NHS, and have been a touch critical over the years, but I cannot praise all concerned enough for their care and sensitivity, things have come a long, long way since the early 70's.

Well, providing there are no surprises crop up, I can have the summer off, and return for a check-up in September

All the best, XXX Papa M

Debradebs

Your welcome glad to have you with me too xxx
PapaM

Good for you, it is a nice feeling getting to ring the bell. Things are slowly returning to normal, whatever that was, food is tasting better and Coke tastes like it should. Have got the celebratory meal with SWMBO next week, followed by a family get together (meal of course), then we are away to my sister's place up by Inverness.

Can I thank you for your company during these fraught times, it helped that there was someone else out there - we are survivors. A' the best XXX Papa Michael

Debradebs

I rang that bell so hard yesterday ..we had a family outing for the last zap ..my daughter came home from uni for the occassion...all a bit unreal now no more clock watching for 5.36 pm appointments ...bit pink and tired but OK hopefully won't get too sore..big hugs to you hope your taking it easy and her indoors is looking after you ..take care xx
PapaM

Best wishes for tomorrow, may the Gods smile kindly on you. After 5/7 from completion of Radiotherapy, all I have to show is a reddening of the chest skin and a slight tightness in the suture line - nowhere near as bad as the most gentlest of the Chemo side effects. Toodle pip  XXX Papa M

Debradebs

Congratulations Michael ....now even know your name ..may the future hold only health and happiness..I'm looking forward to saying finished radiotherapy on tuesday when I get the flags out xx big hugs to all xx
PapaM

Surgery - done. Chemotherapy - done. Radiotherapy - done.

Only have 4 years and 11 months and 7 days of Tamoxifen to go ( Oncology reviews included ). Passage through the segments is noted by the odd highlight, such as a ginormous scar and no left nipple from Surgery - my mankini wearing days are over before I get to wear one. The weight loss of Chemotherapy - to be fair it is not a dietary plan I would recommend, and the bright pink colouration of the left chest/neck from Radiotherapy - to be honest, I am not a lover of the colour. However I will soon be able to try and sort out the much neglected weed patch formerly known as the garden. 

Seriously I am pleased to have reached this stage, I know that some of the Chemo is still wending its way through the system, and that I could still have a reaction to the Radiotherapy, but I have made it so far, and I intend to go on to see my 6 yearold grand-daughter become some-one's significant other.

To all who are still working their way through, may your sails be full and your God go with you, remember - it is all about the target at the end of our treatments.

Toodle pip. XXX. Papa M (Michael)

Debradebs

7 down 8 to go ..due to finish my daily trips out at 5.36 pm Tuesday after bank holiday....skin ok but here we us Aqueous cream to wash with not E45 xx not seen cute young man again but all the girls are chatty..worried about what happens if I ever forget my date of birth or address and that's quiet likely at the mo..great time to park but hate getting stuck in the traffic ..oh well last leg and dignity gone once again ..night all xx
PapaM

Two thirds of the way there, 10 down and 5 to go, still getting the weekends off for good behaviour, so I am due to complete next Wednesday. No green dots, circles or lines here - they only get issued with black marker pens, but it seems that 50% of staff have to have hands that are freezing, got two of them yesterday.

The grandkids are going to be disappointed, I am not glowing in the dark, but like CatherineJ the skin is a wee bitty red, so I get to slap on extra E45. One toenail is decidedly loose, so that will probably go, the other nails seem to be holding fire at present, but that could change - the Chemo effect is reducing though.

May your glass always be full and your plate never empty. Toodle pip. XXX Papa M

CatherineJ

19 rads done, last one tomorrow. Had handsome guy drawing green dots on my boob today but left dignity at the door weeks ago. Am truly knackered now, but skin doing fine and just looks like a bit of sunburn, nothing E45 can't handle so far. Good luck everyone going thru this. x
PapaM

Hi Charys

Happy to put your mind at rest, but don't forget that for each of us it is an individual experience, and that experiences may vary.

One downside to the Radiotherapy sessions is the waiting around time, but there again I have to travel to our local big city, which is time consuming, as is the hanging around to get back home. But as long as it works - what the H3LL.

Oh yes, got a new one this morning - sore throat, I was warned about it, I have a habit of not turning my head far enough when they zap the upper chest nodes - I guess that I am too nosy and want to check out what else is happening in the room!

Happy Daze, toodle pip, Papa M

Charys
Community Champion

Good to hear some positive rad tales.....for those of us who have it due shortly. X

PapaM

5 down and 10 to go. Don't know about you but Radiotherapy does not seem to be the mental drag that Chemo was, I am not experiencing any side effects yet either.

Not getting any young man, cute or otherwise, to draw on me, but am having to make do with a couple, or trio, of young ladies, one of which has extremely cold hands - she must keep them in the freezer.

Have discovered one drawback to having this treatment in our nearby big city, they must be getting charged exorbitant prices for tea, milk and electricity, given what they charged me for a cup of tea.

Toodle pip  XXX Papa M

Debradebs

2 down 13 to go ..weird experience with only hi light a cute young man drew on my boob in green pen today..where else could I get that done for free xx hope your ok x
PapaM

Hi, well I have been zapped, only 14 more adventures with the microwave to go and I hope to be fully cooked. The grand-kids are going to be disappointed - I will not be glowing in the dark.

Am glad the Chemo bit is over, the taste buds are generally returning to whatever can be viewed as normal, but the finger and toenails are not, I am convinced that I will be losing all the fingernails and some of the toenails.

Have to go to the "big city" for the treatment, but fortunately we have a dedicated charity service from my town, so it saves looking for a parking spot when we get there. (Saves SWMBO driving too).

This phase is starting out OK, may it continue thus. Bon chance (French accent) XXX Papa M

Debradebs

I had appointment last week ..had ct and dots too .such fun ..start 12th April 15 visits as you are and who knows what side effects it will bring..taste buds gone again and stomach gone one step back but hey he lived through that crap ..this has to be better x happy choc egg eating x
PapaM

Hi there, well I have been to the big city and have had the pre-Radiotherapy assessment. Got drawn on in felt tip and then had 3 "dot" tattoos, apparently they are used as alignment markers for when I get zapped. 

I have been given a schedule of appointments, I am to have fifteen starting on April 7 at the rate of 5 per week, I get the weekends off.

The tastebuds are still feeling the effects of the Chemo, but the appetite is starting to return, so the much beloved weight loss may start to go in reverse. The nails are becoming painful as they are now detaching from the nail beds, both hands and 3 toes are affected, thankfully the Antibiotics seem to have done their job and the infection is reducing. Toodle pip XXX Papa M

PapaM

Hi Debs, I am up to your 90% and things are starting to seem more like normal. The taste buds have not yet returned fully, but for the first time since last November, I have had PIZZA. Not a big one or even a whole little one, but I had PIZZA !!!  Smiley Happy

Off to the big city next Tuesday for the pre-Radiotherapy assessment, so I am still a few days behind you. Also like you, I have had enough now, I keep looking at my garden, and all the jobs I have left to do from last year's list - this is not going to be productive year except for weeds and the like.

I am envying you being able to drink, but am extremely envious of any jelly intake, I made one a few weeks ago, traffic light colours, neatly layered, had to let the grandson take it home - with taste buds shot it just tasted like badly flavoured water. I nearly cried - I like jelly. Toodle pip. XXX. Papa M

Debradebs

Felling about 90 % at the mo ..off out for dinner and alcohol x Thurs hospital appt for planning etc ..fun and a CT scan something else off my bucket list lol not drinking so much fluid but niw have a thing for jelly lol...the end is in sight of this messing around totally had enough now ..big hugs xx
PapaM

Strange how these Chemo cycles affect us in different ways, you cannot sleep - I keep nodding off, you are drinking - I am in a drought. My taste buds are fried though, there is little I can eat - bread and cheese are no go areas. I am finding I can do most activities, albeit more slowly, and with many rest periods - took me 90 minutes to buy 11 items in the supermarket, anyone can do that though, all you need is a trolley to rest on and lots of labels to read.

The son moved house yesterday, I was not much help, but could make tea, shop for their take-away and knew of a really good, helpful plumber.

Looks definately that I will be losing some finger and toenails, the doc has put me on Antibiotics - have smelly discharge under the nails.

All the best. Toodle pip. XXX Papa M.

Debradebs

I'm finding getting over btt6 hard.cant sleep and drinking so much fluid spend all my time on the loo and taste buds fried too . Just made cheese on toast as went for a drink and thought ..cheese on toast so ate that and 2 glasses of juice at 1 in the morning ..here's to looking after the ceiling for a bit ..take care xx
PapaM

The tears are forming in my eyes.

Having a strange reaction to BTT6, not what I expected at all. Yes the taste buds are fried again, but I am able to eat, albeit food tastes weird, I am able to take fluids this cycle, unlike after previous BTT's. I am resigned to losing some toe and finger nails, but the hair is growing back. Had a potter about the garden a couple of days ago, just a short, wee job, about 30 minutes worth, but it took several hours - but what the heck, the sun shone, and I now have a bit of colour rather than being pasty-faced.

SWMBO is holding up well, why she is still putting up with me is a mystery, but I am not arguing with the 'cup of tea' maker.

Toodle pip. XXX. Papa M

Debradebs

Been trying to think of a reply to your side effects ..can't think of anything appropriate..unless your bits fall off xx
Debradebs

The side effects are just kicking in ..lucky me ..have a great thirst and small bladder xx I have my 1st Box if tamoxifen to start with my radiotherapy for 10 years ish ..lucky again ..take care ..now waiting for planning date x have a good weekend cheers x
PapaM

Well that is BTT6 over and done with, just have to survive the recovery period and then comes the Radiotherapy. But it is the potential side effects of the 5 years of Tamoxifen that has me worried, Weight Gain, Endometriosis and a 'dry' Vagina !!!  Weird eh!

Hope all is well with you as we head into the next part of this unwanted adventure.

Best wishes XXX Papa M

PapaM

Best wishes for Tuesday, BTT6 comes on Friday for me, have a BIG 6 badge ready to wear. But I am also fed up with this part of the treatment, hopefully the Radiotherapy will start on April 4. Have managed to eat a meal this evening - sausage casserole, so may get to put some weight back by Friday, this diet plan sucks - may need to try choc. eclairs. Toodle pip XXX Papa M

Debradebs

BTT 6 next Tuesday ..not looking forward to it but want it over and done with totally had enough now and fed up feeling so tired x not got radiotherapy therapy appointments yet ...so jealous regarding the weight loss I keep putting it on ..just eaten a choc éclairs x take care xx
PapaM

After what seems to have been an horrific past week, things are starting to look up. The taste buds are still iffy, but the sawdust feeling of eating is fading. The one defining feature of an almost fluid diet is what goes in, comes out - but that is what Imodium is for. Got appointment on 29th for marking up for Radiotherapy, so guess that will start the following week - have disappointed older grandson - told him I will not be glowing in the dark. 10 years of tablets .. mm, I am feeling short changed, my oncologist has only threatened me with 5. Lost another 7 lbs - have had to get some new trousers. Toodle pip XXX Papa M

Debradebs

Nearly there ...seems to be dragging but waiting to be fried ..taste buds gone ..eating lots of licorice ..feel crap ..fun fun fun xx I get the notes from the consultant in the post after last couple of appointments and says after radiotherapy 10 years of tablets ..bloody hell will be size of a house x take care ..hugs Debra x
PapaM

It is BT5 + 3 and the side effects are starting to cut in - the taste buds are failing and a lethargy is creeping up on me. On the positive side - in about 2 weeks or so it will be number 6, and this phase of the torture will end - barring the three week recovery period. Hope you are doing ok, we are nearly there. Toodle pip XXX Papa M.

PapaM

Well that is BT5 done and dusted, just have to wait for the side effects to cut in. Veins still viable but lost a few hairs from the wrist area - epilation by tape. Managed to make and eat a stir-fry this evening, was a bit heavy on the Plum Sauce though. End of tunnel is in sight, but rumour has it there is a Radiotherapy tunnel under construction! Hope all is going well with you, we are on the final section of this part of the course, I have been told that Chemo is the worst part of what is planned for me, so far they are right - my mother's lack of culinary skills have faded into insignificance. Onwards to the end of the track.

Toodle pip XXX Papa M

Debradebs

line in ...followed by a chest x ray ...was less traumatic than I thought everyone lovely chemo was so much easier not used as a pin cushion ..tired today as didn't sleep last night and half term here so my big boy is being annoying ..even as we speak ..hope all goes well next week ...bugs hugs ....one to go the light is on at the far end of the tunnel yay xxxxxx
PapaM

Postscript : just read back to your entry at start of month - the Oncologist says I will have 'hot flushes' when I start the 5 year anti-Oestrogen course, mind you, as my Australian cousin observes - I should not get pregnant. Toodle pip XXX Papa M

PapaM

Was a little optomistic with the last entry, things stayed static, improvement did not continue as usual. I was warned about BT 4 being not so good, they were right, thankfully BT 5 starts in 3 days time. Off to see GP this lunchtime, need BP meds adjusting to counter affects of reduced diet in the 2 weeks following Chemo. Have had a stabbing pain in lower abdomen over the weekend too. Good luck with the line, hopefully it will make things easier. Hope you get used to the wig, I am making do with the 'Fuzz', it is off putting though when the 1 yearold grandson has more hair on his head than me, and that includes my beard. Happy daze XXX Papa M

Debradebs

Feeling great ..wind rumbling again ...starting on my anti Mrsa body wash and nasal cream tomorrow...as when I have the line put in next Tuesday just b4 chemo need to make sure all clean as invasive procedure ..fun fun fun ..just been to a friend for curry so if you hear thunder during the night ..it's me lol x been wearing my wig a bit ...raking a while to get used to it .night ..have a wee dram x
PapaM

Me again, it is now BT4 + 13, and things are becoming well with the world again, but last week was not good. Fluid and dietary intake went through the basement, my Lethargic low was at an all time high, and according to SWMBO, I was like a T Rex with attitude. At one time all I was able to swallow was clear soup, and with that and the Antibiotics, I could clear buildings, never mind rooms. But as I said, things are starting to improve as the taste buds start to work again, so I should be back to whatever passes for normal, by the time BT 5 comes round. Have a good weekend, good fortune on Monday. XXX Toodle pip, Papa M.

Debradebs

Evening ..I'm btt +10 feel normalise today but keep having hot flushes something only a woman can get ..che mo the gift that keeps on giving ..had awful weekend last weekend the chemo fog goes on for longer each time and found only thing I like to eat I'd honeydew melonthat's quenches my thirst .m the wind has subsided thankfully but I have been able to clear a room lol ..have a good weekend Cheers xx
PapaM

Just a bit of an update, it is BT4 + 7. Not been such a good week. Each trial is becoming just that, a trial. Still have the runny nose, but have added another Chest infection, so I am back on the Antibiotics. Not doing too well with either dietary intake or fluids, SWMBO is not happy with me. Have developed what looks like little bleeds under the fingernails - painful and unsightly, and have developed flu like joint pain. Put 7lbs back on before BT4, but have lost that again and a few more lbs too, only a couple more stone and I may qualify as one of the late Sir Terry's racing snakes. XXX toodle pip, Papa M 

PapaM

Well that is 4 Bush Tucker trials over and 2 to go. Woke this morning to a sore throat and a runny nose, some evil swine has stolen most of the nose hairs so there is nothing to impede the flow. The recovering taste buds have already started to go in reverse, makes me fear for the breakfast on Sunday. I am now getting bored with the treatment, time is passing slowly, yes I know that it is a drawn out process, but I rather liked the idea of a Whisky / Chemo exchange - forgot to check with the Oncologist how many days of Radiotherapy I am getting, was too busy concentrating on No. 4 B T going ahead. You are now T4+ 6 - how are you faring? hopefully the slide down the back 3 will be easier than the climb up the first 3. Toodle pip - XXX Papa M.

Debradebs

Intavenous whisky rather have vodka x lost 7 lbs lucky thing I put on 1kg this round ....all the best for Friday be thinking of u xx
PapaM

Been a strange week, taste buds are still a bit confused, have felt dizzy a couple of times with a bit of visual haziness, appetite and fluid intakes are variable - according to the bathroom scales I have lost 7lbs, reduced intake can do that for you apparently. I have hospital in the morning, bloods and pre-treatment checks, then hopefully, it is the 4th Bush Tucker trial on Friday. Sorry to hear of your difficult start to the week, but we are ( well I am almost ) getting there, only two to go, I have had it described as having an extended hangover - do you think I could get intravenous whisky instead of the Chemo ? XXX Papa M 

Debradebs

Interesting week ..saw consultant on Monday had a whole conversation about periods and poo xx all went downhill yesterday at bush tucker 4 attempts to find a vein ..I become totally upset. .I am not a pin cushion and decided to have a picc line be put in for last 2 two so that's the fun lined up u then have weekly district nurse visits to flush out the line can't wait xx how u doing xx
Debradebs

had a busy week ...after taking daughter back to uni ...Monday went to collect new hair. .need fringe trimming then will be good to go ...Tuesday Reflexology. .I love my reflexology. .today been to a mamillan run scalp health care and scarf tying ..tomorrow going to try hypnotherapy. .caught up with a friend today too who met on operation day back in Oct. .had lunch had a good old moan xx feeling good not looking forward to bush tucker trial next Tuesday ...must sort out restaurant to celebrate what a fab idea x
PapaM

Hello, been a few days but that is the Chemo side effects for you, but at least it has not been the 12 days of the last cycle, that really was a bummer. I know it grates to be told "you are brave and strong" as often as we seem to be, but we are, we are contributing to this site, we are not playing Ostrich. We may expect the worst, whilst hoping for the best, but we are standing up and fighting - when the Chemo allows, otherwise I lie down and fight. Food and Fluid intakes have been reduced lately, but the loss of hair has stabilized - No.2 grandson is still rubbing the fuzz. 3 more Chemo cycles and then a month of Radiotherapy, hopefully then the taste buds will start to match the memory banks. Have selected the restaurant to celebrate with SWMBO, once the oncologist says OK. XXX PapaM

Debradebs

keep strong SLou96 ..although if I hear how strong and brave I am one more time think I could scream x deep down we all expect the worse but hope for the best ..I was just expecting an op and radiotherapy too but that wasn't to be ..3 chemos in and trying to keep in control ..I may have little hair but I'm going to be around for a long time yet ...have plenty of holidays to plan ..stay positive xx always here for a good moan
Debradebs

hi . looking into mindfulness sounds like a useful tool xx I have weekly reflexology which I find amazing best hour of my week xx
SLou296

Hi all, had my lumpectomy and SNB on 22nd Dec and went for my follow up appointment today.  The nasty lodger has gone and everything is clear but the results show her2+.  Was expecting (hoping) to be scheduled for some radiotherapy and hormone drugs but now looks like there will be chemo and herceptin. Got my Oncology appointment on 26th Jan. have been pretty strong so far but now I'm feeling sick just thinking about what's next

Butterfly318

Morning Debra

Hope your trip to the Haven is helpful.  I sympathise with your side effects.  FEC3 was bad then se's change slightly with Tax.  I was diagnosed in 2012 so all a distant memory.

We don't have Haven or Maggies where i live but we do have a small Cancer Charity offering Counselling, Reiki  Reflexology etc.  I am now back at work and can reflect a little.  I am so grateful for all the treament from NHS (I know it is not perfect but it is unique ), however bad it felt at the time.  But it is only with hindsight that i can see what a difference the Complementary stuff made for me and the other ladies i met there.....  

I have had lots of Complementary therapies and continue to have Reiki which helps with the sleep and am a great fan of Mindfulness, downloaded lots of mindful meditations, do mindful walking and lots of colouring...

Hope you get some good night's sleep....Good Luck with the rest of your treatment.  X