68.4K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just got head round next step after op and petrified....

Debradebs

Re: Just got head round next step after op and petrified....

hate to be one that agrees with everything you say ..BUT round 3 has been the worse ..never ever felt so ill in my life spent last weekend in bed which is not like me ..even rang the hospital Monday for advice ...my stomach wasn't working and was in so much pain and ached all over ..every time I ate it was a footie match in my stomach.....apparently I gave cumulative chemo side effects!!!!!! been thus week to a place called Haven and going to try hypnotherapy as haven't slept properly since ..can't even remember last real sleep. ...Australia sounds fab ..this week I fancy Vegas New York and Italy xx lol as travel insurance goes there some companies that don't hype too much ..ask on the forum someone will know the cheapest xx take care Debra xx
PapaM

Evening - things have felt a bit dire for the past few days, no thirst, no appetite, generalized joint pain and near lost will to live - then I remembered the full bottles of single malt awaiting the end of this trial. It is strange, whilst I have been feeling c**p, I have been able to sleep. I do understand the need to talk to someone, the ex brother-in-law called by the other day - he had brought a CD with audio books for my tablet - unfortunately for him, he was used as a sounding board, I found it helpful after stabilizing the emotions of others, to have someone do that for me. Spare woolly hat located. SWMBO and I like Australia for when this is over, but I fear that the travel insurance will be costly. Toodle pip XXX Papa M

Debradebs

Morning ..was going to reply at 3am but wouldn't let me log in ..I haven't slept properly in months ..glad they managed to get a vein I'm already running out of decent ones...sat in bed other half just brought up tea and cubed pineapple mm had **bleep**y day yesterday. Well would like it gave been but senocot not kicked in yet xx feel so tired so not been out this week yet no motivation but booked a councilor for next week decided need to speak to a stranger about how I feel ...could be good could be waste of time who knows worth a try ..that's all my news nothing exciting ..I do have a house full of holiday brochures ..just need to be bothered to read them have a good weekend ..hope u find another her wooly hat ..love Debra xx
PapaM

Had bloods done on Thursday, and had pre-Chemo consultation with BCN - all clear, so I had the Bush Tucker trial #3 yesterday. Different Nurse this time, didn't feel the cannulae go in, but it snagged in the tape on the way out - guess they won't be using that vein again too soon. So far so good, except I cannot seem to get to sleep - brain working overtime or SWMBO's snoring - take your pick. Visited daughter on way home from Chemo - it is official, Chemo causes hair loss - the one year-old has more hair than both my scalp and beard combined, now considering a spare woolly hat. I am not keen on melon, but casting about for a breakfast I can handle took me back to the porridge we had as kids - seems like it is just the thing for me - as my appetite deceased, the morning porridge intake increased. Hope all is well with Ethel, my lump was referred to as Ferdinand - thats right!!!  XXX all the best. Papa M 

Debradebs

I Google SWMBO last time x...had bloods last Thursday saw consultant on Monday ..bloods ok..chemo yesterday had to have bloods done again as senior pharmacist not happy with time scale ..pin cushion again ..then all ok so chemo time ..couldn't find a vein and eventually found a small one Base of thumb ..lol not pleasant so ended up Long day ..feel crap this morning ..just had reflexology which always relaxes me and the only thing i fancy was melon so eating melon x kids are ok with my hair loss and others are fastinated by it as have big tuft at the front ...just waiting for my hairdresser to pop in and trim Ethel fringe a wig should always have a name ..so hopeful the end of the week should feel up to more exciting food ..a friend has just dropped in fish pie for dinner so see what that tastes like ..anyway will continue being strong and brave ..take all the best for your next bush tucker xx
PapaM

Hi Debs, I am almost afraid to ask how you have fared since Monday, almost but not quite. As Blossom rightly points out even fighters have rough patches, but still tough it out, often because they cannot abide being treated with kid gloves. I have realized over the past couple of months that I have been unlucky, but I will survive this, I just have to go through the hoops. Some of those hoops are folk trying to wrap me in cottonwool because THEY are afraid. So what if I have lost most of my hair, it was mine to lose, the woolly hat just keeps the scalp warm, six months ago it wouldn't have been needed. I unashamedly use the grandkids as markers, as long as they accept me as I am - everyone else can live with it, and that includes SWMBO. I have Bush Tucker 3 on Friday, just when the taste buds are improving, it is a bit of a pain when the only taste I get from an Indian takeaway is Coriander - I hate Coriander. Roll on the end of May. All the best, hugs XXX Papa M. 

Time frame has moved up to May from April - got an appointment come through from Oncologist  

SWMBO = She Who Must Be Obeyed - the significant other - spouse - 'the wife'

Blossom Hill

Hi Debradebs, Just gotta say I'm so with you on your comment, I'm recently diagnosed, awaiting surgery and in a state of shock, as is everyone who gets told. But im working, running my home and all is NORMAL on the surface, if one more bloody person tells me itta be ok cos I'm a stong person, What weak people are allowed to crumble and were not? Who gets the luxury of that? everyone HAS to deal with it, or to STAY POSITIVE, I feel like saying F!!K OFF, yes I'm dealing with it, no I'm not curled up in the fetal position, and yes dealing with this on a F!!k you get outta my life basis helps us, but if staying positive was the key we would all be bloody cured without any medical intervention. So you hold em down and I will bash em.

Good Luck on your journey

Love BlossomHill XXX

Debradebs

If one more person tells me I'm brave or asks me if I'm ready for 3 round tomorrow. .or how well I look I'll bloody throttle them ..perhaps I should go out with no makeup on and not do my hair..woops don't have any and no wooly hat on ..save me getting arrested xx hope your ok and HNY XX
PapaM

It has taken 12 days to get to the point where I almost feel semi human again. This has been a much tougher Bush Tucker Trial, and it is only 7 days to go to the next. On the positive side, the taste of food is improving, fluid intake is higher - mind you so is output, and my hair - what is left of it, seems to have held firm. Just need to leap forward to April and start the Radiotherapy - I have created a target at the end of May for a family Bar-be-que. Apart from the usual eats, there will be a Bouncy Castle for all the kids (both Big and Small) and when the rain comes, as it is sure to do, the barbeque goes under the gazebo and we press on. My target for 2016 - a belated Christmas.

In the meanwhile, have a guid New Year, my best wishes to you and your family. XXX Papa M

Debradebs

Hi hope your ok....just been for bloods ..found vein 1st time and no pain .....just wanted to wish you a happy and HEALTHY NEW YEAR to u and all your family ...2016 has to be better than 2015 for us both xx big hugs and cheers xx
PapaM

Kidnap your friend and bring her out when you need uplifting, she sound like one worth having, As the fuzz grew and the beard disppeared - I started to look like my Dad, as he is some 20 year older than me it is not a pleasant mental image to be having. I have found the passage of Bush Tucker II more difficult with everything tasting of Grits/Sawdust, if things improve in the next few days I will be having my dram on Thursday night. Can you get tired of being lethargic ? All the best. XXX Papa M

Debradebs

Dad arrived earlier today ..warned him earlier and he didn't seem phased by it ..apparently one of my friends says I have a lovely shaped face x glad your grandkids are looking after you...just been a friends for dinner now off to bed in prep for cooking for 10 tomorrow with a little help have a great day thus time next year !!!!!!!!!!!!!"love to all Debra xx
PapaM

Well it is Xmas eve and things are still variable, food still tastes like the American dish called Grits - basically a type of porridge made with real grit - awful. Don't worry about your Dad, just check the baby photos, he will have seen you without hair before. My 3 yearold g/son has taken to stroking my fuzzy scalp, his sister is always checking my scar and their cousin just loves to assist SWMBO with the injections. You were right, small frequent snacks sure beat the hell out of meals, so tomorrow may prove a problem. Anyway, have a Good Christmas, enjoy, for next year, when all this is behind us, we can have another Christmas in early summer. XXX Papa M

Nollaig Chridheil agus bliadhna Mhath Ur

Debradebs

Hope you feel better soon ..today is my first day 8 days in of feeling bit better ...stomach more settled but eaten a small box if Maltesers and sure will pay the price in the morning x but hopefully will be OK to cook dinner with help on Friday for 10 ..my Dad's coming on Thursday till Sunday and still haven't told him lost my hair ..that should be an interesting discussion x if I don't speak b 4 the weekend have a great Xmas and enjoy being with the family and remember 2016 has to be a better year for us xxxx it better had be xxx take it easy xx
PapaM

Looks like I am following you, I have had a bit of a crook weekend, lethargic and unwilling to do anything. Have slept a lot, but food and drink are of no interest - everything is bland, even the Indian takeaway. Hoping for improvement by the end of the week. Hope you are doing well. XXX Papa M

PapaM

Sounds like you are not having an easy passage. Stuff the kids, this is for YOU, any benefit to kids are a by-product, having said that I keep telling folk that the grandkids need to have me around long enough to retain good memories, I had that so why not them. Odd that you recommend pineapple, they gave me some during Chemo today, tasted ok, still have some pommegranate juice left so will see that out first. Todays session took longer for some reason, about 4 hours, usual regime but they have given me some injections for the abdomen to start on Tuesday. Have a good weekend. Hugs. XXX Papa M

Debradebs

Yes 2nd bush tucker trial was Monday ....nearly lost all my hair which hadn't bothered me till know...metallic taste defo..try pineapple more tired than before and feeling more sorry for myself too ...this is no fun but keep telling myself doing this for the kids...xx phone also died on Tuesday and they said could take it in and they would send it away ..could be back on new year with all bank hols ...played the C card and new phone following day lol x hope all goes well today ..big hugz xx
PapaM

Well it is Friday morning and I am off for the Chemo in a couple of hours, had the bloods etc yesterday, am arriving there with an extreme crewcut and a thinning beard. Other than some foods tasting metalic  I may begetting away lightly so far - time will tell, how are things with you? XXX Papa M

PapaM

Was up in Scotland for a few days, forgot to take logon details with me - apologies. Hair loss started on Sunday morning in the shower and has continued on a daily basis, each day there seems to be more, so on arrival home, SWMBO got out the electric clippers and gave me the once over with the No. 2 size, I may be known as Shaun from here on in.You were down for session No.2 yesterday - did you have it, and how did it go.

I am getting a few more taste changes as time goes on, mostly with things tasting "weaker" than the memory banks think they aught. Ah well, babysitting No3 grandkid tomorrow, then we will be having round two. Oh Joy. Papa M. XXX

PapaM

Sorry to hear about your hair, I am on day 11 so the weekend will be the crunchtime, had hair cut and beard trim this afternoon would not like to think I had wasted the money. One thing I have noticed is that some foods have become metalic in taste - perhaps the oncologist has hit upon a new diet plan. XXX Papa M

Debradebs

Glad your feeling good ...I too feel fine apart from my hair is falling out..everyone says day 19 and it's only day 15 .bloody typical x wil u loose your beard ? Take it easy .next bush tucker trial monday x
PapaM

Chest infection gone, mouth calming, spots diminishing, a wee bit windy. If weather holds may go up to Inverness to visit sister before second round of Chemo. Feel great at the moment, but not telling SWMBO as she may withdraw some benefits of appearing ill - like reducing delivery of tea and biscuits. XXX Papa M 

PapaM

Well it is Chemo plus 1 week, have had chest infection, a failed course of Antibiotics which gave me a rash, a second course of another drug which seems to be wiping out the spots, a raw area on the soft palate - mouth wash is slowly working, diet and fluids variable according to level of interest at the time. Have got a financial bod coming from McMillans next week - have had to stop work due to operation and treatment, so they are hopefully going to advise me on becoming a benefit millionaire - some hope eh! So it is one week down and seventeen to go - then Radiotherapy begins - deepest joy. Poisoned then fried....mmm.

XXX Papa M

Debradebs

Also they have cancelled appt with consultant on Monday till following week when I have chemo ..what fun x
Debradebs

Wig ordered through a charity ..one if those that the kids donate their hair when it's so long ....see what happens supposed to look more natural ..appt with Nhs wig lady monday ..my spots are subsiding ..not sure what caused them ..and yes I feel ok ..bit windy ..thats normal xx take fare D x
PapaM

Spots have not changed - antibiotic holding pattern, seem to be front and aft on rib cage, no pain, no itch just looks interesting. Change in antibiotics has speeded up sewage throughput, so a bit softer than usual. Have a raw area on roof of mouth - makes swallowing painful. i am chastising it with fluids and mouthwash and it appears to be improving. How did the wig thing go, I have decided that if it is meant to be, I will swap the shampoo for Mr Sheen. The heavy wave I had at sixteen has slowly gone in the last 50 years, such is life. After a couple of days not feeling like eating or drinking, fluid intake is back up and I am feeling 'bon'. XXX Papa M

Debradebs

Went to dr as spots all over neck in hair and face ...he Google a lot and gave me E45 ..like that's going to work ..not..may ring hospital in the morning for their advice. I actually feel ok today. .off to meet someone who makes wigs tomorrow so exciting ...mmmm.xx take care xx
PapaM

Nothing much to report today, spots the same - no better but no worse, new drug seems to be ok. Following chat with friend in Tasmania (in remision from Leukaemia) pomegranate juice is a no no for her, have put it to one side pending checking all changes made over weekend to diet etc. Pity - i like it. Lot less lethargic  today, joint pain persists. XX Papa M

Debradebs

I do think we have to go through enough crap that we really don't need anymore thrown at us ..I have a dr appt tomorrow as has have a type of rash all in my hair and neck think it's the meds as been eating so healthy not fair x feel good otherwise ..take care and behave x
PapaM

Started the Anitbiotics yesterday after lunch, was all going well until the rash appeared today. Seen by docs, antibiotics changed - onwards. Thing is that the original tabs appeared to start to be beating the phlegm, hope the new ones will continue to do the same. Bought some pomegranate juice, it is working wonders,  a glass of that with an Abernethy biscuit - great snack combo. XXX  Papa M

Debradebs

Daytime telly defo terrible..bit like the weather ..hope the antibiotics do the trick ..totally agree about xmas my chemo fits round the festivities so don't want any set backs .Snacking definitely works as does fruit tea which I hate but settles my tum a bit ...take it easy xx
PapaM

Ah well !! Another day, felt a wee bit tight on the chest last night, woke up with a chest infection, it is a delicate shade of green. Made the call to the Chemo Unit, referred to GP and I will be getting the Anti-biotics this afternoon.  Could do without anything that would delay the process as it fits nicely around Xmas and New Year, but Santa and Old Father Time will just have to hang fire. Was going to see if we could get a few days with my sister in the Inverness area, might now not be a good idea.

Otherwise things are going on as before, copious fluids in = copious fluids out, snacks are better than meals and daytime TV is as c**p as it ever was.. Have supply of jigsaws - helps with the motivation. Toodle pip. XXX Papa M

Debradebs

Have to say never been to loo so much ..certainly never drank so much fluid ..someone brought me round fresh pomegranate juice which was actually quite nice ..I Google it first to see weather it was good for me and my fav bit of info was that increase spermatogenesis production in rats..who knew xx not actually been sick yet but my stomach is only happy when I'm eating and then somersaults after until feeding time ..not impressed with this ....decided little and often better than 3 meals. .watched 2 films today ...need to get motivated but really can't be bothered ..have a good sleep Debra z z
PapaM

Hi Debs. you are right there is a lot that you could get you down, if you want to let it, it must really be depressing if you have no sense of humour, even if it is everso slightly warped like mine. I must admit that it is the waiting around that bothers me - too much time to think about nasty stuff - so I people watch, and listen. Without really trying I was listening to one patient in the waiting room - she must have been answering a survey - she was 'bigging up' our Chemo suite and the staff whilst 'slating' the central unit at the University Hospital 20 miles away. To be fair ours is custom built and theirs is a conversion, but the main complaint was the attitude of staff - they have yet to meet me, lol.

There is a lot to be said about having a TV, but when it is right over your head it becomes a Radio with long silences during the action shots, it was not appreciated by the lady opposite - she was asleep.

Ah well, that is the first full day over, nothing much to report apart from an increase in waterworks use, and my left bicep is half an inch larger than the right - must be the steroids and loss of Lymph Nodes, possibly the fact that they are trying to overhydrate me - have to have a minimum of 2 litres of non alchoholic fluid per day. Hope you are over the technicolour yawns. XXX Papa M

Debradebs

Sounds like fun x always good to see the funny of all this its that keeps me going xx the lady opposite me was 92 and curled up and slept I never got the choice ..take it easy and sleep xx we didn't have a tv x
PapaM

Well that was an experience and a half. Was chatted to by a Staff Nurse for about 30 minutes, she put in a cannula, squirted some drugs into the vein, attached me to a drip. She then went away for 5 minutes, came back, changed the drip, when that had run through, changed it back for about 10 minutes, and that was that. Well not really, there was some stuff that went on around that, but they were the highlights, it was all done and dusted in less than 3 hours. I can honestly say - I FEEL FINE

Found out somethings to watch for next time - do not let them sit you under the wall mounted TV, you can hear everything but see nothing, the drinking chocolate is better than either the tea or coffee and most importantly, when the woman sat next to you says she falls asleep and then snores - believe her. 

That is now, I am now waiting for the next few days to see if I am also getting up at an unearthly hours to contemplate having a rainbow yawn. Many thanks for your messages XXX Papa M

Debradebs

Hiw u doing ? Hope all went smoothly x
Debradebs

Hop all goes smoothly xx
Debradebs

👍
PapaM

Good news - I got the green light and it is all systems go for 09.30 tomorrow morning

Bad news - I have even more meds to take

Good news - I can have whisky

Bad news - It must be in moderation !!!

See you at the weekend. XXX Papa M

PapaM

Went to bed but woke myself up coughing - so now sat here with coffee. If you need stuff to stop feeling queasy, get the Medic to up the prescription, there be a whole raft of drugs available - avoid the rollup kind - for some reason the law does not seem to like them. Ach weel, coffee break over, so its back to bed we go. Take care. Papa M

Debradebs

Thinking if you ..you take care I'm sat here trying to decide whether to throw up or go back to bed x hope you have a good hospital and they'll ok after u ..cheers xx
PapaM

Well it is bloods and pre-treatment assessment in the morning, cough now intermittent so hoping for the works on Friday. Hope that the YUK factor is diminishing, remember now nothing strenuous, concentrate on feet up and a regular supply of tea and biscuits. XXX Papa M

Debradebs

I had sore throat on Friday when they did my bloods and all came back clear ..eat plenty fruit and wash down with the malt I think but treat yourself to a fab new bottle x
PapaM

Have been wondering how you got on, sounds like it went well, I was told that the YUK followed on but that it usually went in a couple of days. Just feel like I am sat here twiddling thumbs, want the first one over and done with like yesterday. One slight hic-cup surfaced Monday - a tickle of a cough - so have dosed myself with Vit C and Lemsip, the cousin in Australia thinks I should breakout the single malt and gargle, and not worry about any that gets 'accidentally' swallowed. 

Chin up and onwards, another couple or so months, a bit of X-Ray therapy and the next thing we know it will be Easter eggs followed by sunbathing

Debradebs

Yesterday was yet another surreal day....was better than I expected only there 2 ish hours....today feel yuk but ok x how u doing ?
Debradebs

Thank you very sweet of u x think the unknown is the worst feeling ever x
PapaM

Just a quicky - Good fortune for tomorrow, let us know how it goes. PapaM 

Debradebs

Hospital pre assessment in the morning to sort out who knows what ..sounds like thomas got his points wrong need to readjust his signals Mrs Papa x take care
PapaM

Oil Leak Conquered, Surgeon and Oncologist both happy. Have a blood test and appointment next Thursday with a view to starting Chemo on Friday. Have only one slight worry now, I am recorded as female on hospital notes despite the beard and deep voice - will I need further surgery???

Good luck to you on the 23rd, don't forget the fluids and something to read

Happy Daze

XXX PapaM