Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just got results

6 REPLIES 6
Rachy65

Re: Just got results

Thanks Jacky..were you mode neg.?
I worry about the size of mine..did docs mention size to you? They said it hasn't made any difference in my case x
Jack36

Hi Rachy65, I had a skin sparing mastectomy with immediate implant, that was 9wks ago and I'm really pleased with the result , haven't had any problems apart from my armpit as it was really sore after op , but it's fine now !! X
Rachy65

Hi Jack. .I had an implant immediately afyer mastectomy. .its been fine so far..what did you have in the end? X
Mai7
Community Champion

Hi Jack, sorry to hear of your diagnosis. This really is the most anxious time (between diagnosis and start of treatment) so try and stop your thoughts spiralling out of control, as they can at times.  You are similar to me in tumour size and invasive. I have lymph involvement also so have to have chemo first before surgery (recently had my 3rd dose). My Oncolgist asked me how the tumour got this large without me coming for a check up and I told him my small breasts have been full of hard lumps since puberty when I was diagnosed with fibroadenomas so lumps don't trigger alarm bells if they just feel the same as usual. It was the swelling of the breast which prompted me to see my GP.  Keep yourself nice and healthy ready for treatment and I wish you all the best for your treatment ahead. Xx

Alex1967

I'm the same as Peggycat - had a left mastectomy on 1st Feb with immediate strattice mesh implant and haven't had any problems at all. Like Ruth says it's odd feeling at first (feels like you have a football there) and once healed it's numb BUT I love mine and am very happy with how it looks. I'm also a B cup. Alex
PeggyCat
Community Champion

Hi Jack. I'm 21 months post-surgery. I had a right mastectomy with immediate implant reconstruction with the strattice mesh technique. I was only a B cup and I believe that implants work best for small breasted women. I am more than happy with the result and have had no significant problems. They do feel strange for a while but I'm more or less used to it now. I miss the sensations as most of the breast is numb now but aesthetically I'm very pleased with the outcome. It turned out a lot better than I expected.

That said, the DIEP flap, if that's what you've been offered, is considered the gold standard and feels more natural because it is actually your own tissue.

Perhaps one thing to consider: my surgeon said to me that an own tissue reconstruction is always possible further down the line if an implant fails or when it needs replacing. I know there are several women on this site who have had both options.

Good luck with your decision.

Ruth x

Jack36

Just got results

I have had results back after my 1st mammogram and I have stage 2 invasive ,tumour size is 6cm so have to have a mastectomy as I have small breasts ! I have to make a decision whether I want an implant or a breast from my own fat ,1st option is a quicker recovery time so I'm thinking that would be better for me but how do people get on with implants ?