Sorry you've had to join the site. I was diagnosed 3 days before xmas 06 and had a skiing holiday booked with husband and children over new year. My consultant said if I wanted to go then go as delaying it a couple of weeks would not hurt and a holiday would probably do us all good. He then booked me in for the op a week after I got back. He was right we really enjoyed it and I even forgot about BC at times. I think Mole is right - forget work - you have to do what is best for you! I am a primary school teacher but it has been easier for me as I have been on supply for the last 2 years. I do know from my full time classroom teaching days though, the pressure to attend school and teach when you have a class you are responsible for. Radiotherapy also made it difficult to work with a 2 hour round trip and appointments in the middle of the day. I should have the holiday and enjoy it and go through the treatment as it comes - you are more important and school will still be there when you are recovered!
Like Mole I'd say blow work and go on holiday. I waited from diagnosis in June to August for mast. because I wanted recon at same time. Didn't make any difference to results. My breast care nurse told me that in the early stages a couple of weeks don't make a lot of difference.
I'd discuss it with nurse _ consultant doesn't seem worried though.
I'd forget about work at the moment and go on the holiday. But waiting is difficult. I say this cos my bc was misdiagnosed for five months and it made no difference to my prognosis. I had grade 1 cancer stage 1
The chances are that treatment will extend to Sept if it is anything like my experience. if you have a lumpectomy it will be followed by radiotherapy. Cancer treatment is quite lengthy unfortunately.
Hi. Has anyone else got a grade one papillary carcinoma. I just got my results after nearly 2 weeks of horrible waiting but weirdly feel much better now I know. The next step is all the scans (bone, MRI etc) and then excisional biopsy then radiotherapy. What will be the worst bit do you think?
Plus, I already booked a 10 day trip to Canada in 3 weeks. The consultant says it is up to me if I want the op after the trip (which means missing 3 weeks of work as a teacher at the start of Sept - a really bad time to be off) or cancelling the holiday so I can do the op sooner and go back to work on time? ANy experiences of waiting for the surgery longer ? The consultant said it didn't matter time wise?