Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just had Surgery and Sentinal Node Biopsy

63 REPLIES 63
Guest user
Not applicable

Re: Just had Surgery and Sentinal Node Biopsy

Just found out that my tumor was strongly er receptive so I have to have rads. No chemo tho. And tamoxifen for as many years as they say. I was scared to take the tamoxifen for a couple of days because of the so called side effects. I stopped the hrt in October when the cancer was discovered and have been having the hot flashes and on the first day of taking the tamoxifen my eyes blurred in the evening. Only on day 2 now and the hotness is about the same, but i feel tired today and noticed I am going to the loo more often.

Elsie, hope you managed to enjoy Xmas in the end. I know the feeling when you said you could quite easily cancel it. Its good you got clear margins.
Helen

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi girls-well got my results back yesterday and not too bad. Clear margin this time so that's a relief but still speaking about chemo. Waiting now for an appointment with cons onc at beginning of January to discuss pros and cons of chemo-(I can think of a lot of cons but not so many pros at the moment!) Just being very negative-feel as though I should be feeling happy that he got clear margin but instead I have been feeling really low and weepy and snapping at my girls for nothing really.
Not the best run up to Xmas- I am going to have to pull myself out of it but at the moment I could happily cancel Xmas! 😞
Sorry for being such a Ba Humbug!!!!

Guest user
Not applicable

i had my hair cut short when i started chemo and went for my wig fitting straight away... it helped having short hair when i was trying on the wigs as it gave a better impression of how they would look... during the summer i only wore mine when i went out / was expecting someone as i found it too hot... but since it colder i'm wearing it all the time... lol my hair has started growing back now... (finished chemo 27th oct...) but it is very patchy... and some patches have come back grey and some brown... lol so i think i will be keeping the wig for a while yet...:D

i had a hospital appointment on wed - no more chemo needed and they are going to send me an appointment for my rads planning - i should be starting my 4 weeks of rads in about a months time...
they also gave me my first lot of tamoxifen tablets - i'm taking them just before i go to bed to minimise feeling any side effects... so far i have woken at about 4am two mornings feeling abit queasy - but have been able to go back to sleep...

Guest user
Not applicable

Went to hospital on Tuesday and my recepter results weren't there so still don't know if its just rads. It's six weeks now. The pain finally eased last Friday thank goodness and was able to go out for christmas meal. That was good and was able to get into the christmas mood a bit and finally got the tree up the next day. Feel disappointed that I have to wait another week (?)

Guest user
Not applicable

Narnia.... sounds like the wigs could be an option for me, if I end up having chem. Sounds like the ladies here that have wigs and are enjoying messing about with different hair styles etc. Sounds like the cold cap takes extra time in hospital and doesn't stop hair thinning. I for one don't want to be hanging around in hospital more than I can help. Can't believe I'm writing about wigs.....a few weeks ago I would have been so shocked to have this discussion...but know I think...well..we have to go with what ever is thrown at us...I think once I got over the initial shock of the cancer diagnosis, other stuff gets easier to handle......

Guest user
Not applicable

Hope you are right Eliza as I am having another sleepless night-though could be partly due to a meal out, rich food and eating late! Still quite itchy and feeling hard lumpy bits too which is a bit concerning. However in on Monday so will mention it to cons! I have also been experiencing slight pins and needles in my arm-this is now 6 weeks post first op and 2 weeks post 2nd........think I am just getting anxious about getting results again and imagination running riot!!

Narnia and Leadie- I was wondering about cold cap too and my hairdresser told me I would have to ask for it as it is not routinely offered, but feel I don't know anything about it? Any threads with info on this or maybe I should start one? Went shopping the other day and my friend persuaded me to buy a hat and start wearing it now so people get used to seeing me wearing something on my head as I never normally do-good point I thought! xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

yes, i find it confusing searching the site too! I am not going to bother with the cold cap, if i'm offered it..........i'm told it doesn't often work, and my hair will grow back anyway, so i shall just get by with hats and funky scraves i think. I'm not looking forward to having the rest of my lymph nodes removed,partly because i'm not keen on another op, also not keen on the idea of lymphodoema either, but the main thing is i don't know what to expect in the way of more scars? I was diagnosed on 23rd Sept and had my op 28th Nov, so 9 weeks wait for surgery, which they assure me has made no difference to my prognosis. I am being treated in Bath at the Royal United Hospital.I hope you have great results on the 30th xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Thanks for that Narnia
Have only just found this thread. The site can be quite confusing as I forget where I have posted! As I saidbefore, am back after Christmas..the 30th.. for results and what is next. Have been preparing myself for chemo as well as Rads, as they are both a possibility. Have decided that will have my hair off and have a wig if I have chemo. Couldn't be bothered with the cold cap business!! Are you going to try that?
How long was it from diagnosis to treatment for you and where are you being treated?
Best wishes

Eliza

Hi Elsie,

I haven't had a reexcision, but my WLE began to itch a few days after my surgery (which was 3 weeks ago today) and as the bruising came up I felt as if I'd been sat on. Someone told me that a wound itching is often a sign that it is healing.

Eliza xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi girls!
Have been busy getting organised for Xmas and generally feeling ok but the last few days have had dreadful itch and soreness on the breastbone area, since the latest surgery. Didn't have this first time round and wondered if anyone has experienced this with a reexcision? The wound area seems ok and I am reluctant to phone my Gp or BCN in case they feel I am fussing unnecessarily. It is keeping me awake at night....even more than usual at the moment! Any comments please? xx

Guest user
Not applicable

leadie, i had the same op two weeks ago......................and only had to wait ten days for my results, which were not too bad.Good news was surgeon got good margins on the cancer in my breast,, so no more work to be done there, apart from a couple of nips and tucks on wibbly bits of scarring, then a new nipple/areola if i want it done (surgeon saw my lovely tattoo on my back and has suggested i might want to 'think outside the box and have a tattoo on my breast instead'!!...Lovely man, truly lovely!).Bad bit was they found microscopic bits of cancer in my sentinel node, so i now have to go for chemo, sometime in the new year, followed up by radiotherpay and then rremoval of the remaining lymph nodes.No too sure why they are doing it that way round ( i assumed they'd take the lymph nodes first, but maybe it's better to blast the cancerous cells in there first, to prevent any further spread, or to zap any stray cells on their holidays from my pits??), but i'm looking forward to the late summer, and early autumn of next year, when everything should be sorted, hopefully my hair will have started to grow back too and i can get on with life. I hope your results are good xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Am new to the site and am just geting over surgery for a wide local excision and node sample. Anyone else in similar position? Have 3 weeks to wait for results and then next treatment. Great site!!

Guest user
Not applicable

Just got my appointment in for Monday 22nd-just in time to get good news before Christmas.....?? xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Yes it's amazing how you latch onto even a little bit of good news-you seem to have a very positive attitude towards having more chemo rhapsodyangel-hope I can be as positive when it comes to it!
Feel so much better today with getting a sleep-didnt waken til 9.20 this morning-wondered where everyone had gone.....!!! Don't want to take them every night but I have them when I need them now which probably is a help in itself!
Went out for Xmas lunch at one of my schools today which was really nice, just seeing everyone again as I really miss the company. However if there is one good thing about being off at this time of year it was seeing how stressed everyone was.......at least I am missing that-lol!
xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

hello...:D

well it was a long wait - but with some good news at the end of it...:D

the surgeon thinks they got all the cancer in the breast area...:D apparantly in the end the tumour was 2.1cm long still but that wasn't spherical... more like a string...:D

and with the lymph nodes - they got 6 and 1 had some cancer cells in -
unfortunatly my onc wasn't at yesterday's meeting - so he didn't know her plans... so we will have to go back next wednesday... it might be i have to have 4 more doses of chemo - because of the one gland having cancer cells in... she will also get me to sign the consent forms for the radiotherapy then...

but all in all they were very pleased with the results - especially considering what i have got....((inflamatory breast cancer -IBC)

elsie - agree with your gp take the sleeping pill if it helps you get through this time... i took them during chemo when i was having problems sleep because of the steroids...

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi girls!
Finally feel like doing things again, as have been so nackered after surgery on Friday it was too much of an effort to do anything! Op went fine and cons confident he has got it this time-hope he's right!! Came home Saturday and felt so good I went out for a 2 mile walk.....reality hit on Sunday when I felt like a deflated balloon! Also not sleeping again which is really getting me down-however my GP phoned on Monday and has said to take sleeping tablets to get through this spell-I was a bit wary but she reassured me it was better in the short term to get some sleep and how right!
Now just another wait for results, and trying to get used to the idea of chemo-what a nice start to the New Year that is going to be?

Mandy- it is reassuring to read how you are getting on and I will try to remember what you have said. hope you do manage to enjoy Xmas a bit. My girls have been great....I came home on Saturday and they had put up the tree and all decs-so pleased as I couldn't motivate myself to get started,

Narnia-hope you got on ok?

Rhapsodyangel-good luck tomorrow. xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

those of you just starting chemo...

i would say it is true the effects are cumulative... so i felt more tired as time went on, and much more breathless... but once chemo stopped it was amazing how quickly those side effects went away - so there is light at the end of the tunnel...

i know there is a chance they are going to say tomorrow i will need more chemo... IBC is probably the most aggressive of the breast cancers....:( and if there is much sign of cancer cells still in my lymph nodes then i will have to continue chemo... (as well as the radio therapy...)

Guest user
Not applicable

just had a phone call off the hospital -

we are to go in and discuss the test results at 9.40am tomorrow...

narnia - i hope that your results are good today... x

Guest user
Not applicable

Crossed! Good luck! x

Guest user
Not applicable

hospital for results tomorrow, so fingers crossed please!

Guest user
Not applicable

Hello everybody,
Decided on Friday that the pain wasnt so bad and made the mistake of sweeping the floor and doing a few more jobs around the house. Complete mistake. Had a terrific stabby pain under my arm and a swelling on Saturday and suffered all day, so will not be doing that again, but its hard looking at all the dust! Didnt sleep at all well on Saturday evening and so was desperate for sleep and finally drifted off in the early hours of Sunday morning, only to have someone nudge me saying "I've brought you a cuppa tea!" Aaargh!
Up early this morning cos it feels like someone is giving a chinese burn to the end of my nipple.

Anyway, rant over, got my oncology appointment on the 16th, so will have some idea of what treatment lies ahead.

Mandy, sorry to hear you've been sick a few times and hope you are feeling much better now. Did you get that Xmas shopping done? I haven't done or bought anything yet. Haven't felt like it but to be honest am not in a christmassy mood at the moment, but who knows it may get better.

I could kick myself for not having the right size bra at the beginning cos I feel my recovery would have been a lot quicker and I would not have had so much pain.

Good luck to everyone awaiting results and hello rhapsody angel! x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Rhapsodyangel, I had my mastectomy on the 12 November and although I am healing well, I have a small bump where my cleavage would have been and another just under my armpit. Relieved to hear you are experiencing similar (in the nicest possible way), perhaps it is normal! I too can't wear noral bras yet, although my M&S Mastectomy one is not underwired and I can cope with that and the one the hospital gave me. Hope you get good results - let us know how you get on. Mands x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi can i pop in and join you...?

I was diagnosed in late May with Inflamatory Breast Cancer... it was 5.5cm at diagnosis and stage 3, grade 3, er and pr positive and her negative...

With IBC you have the chemo first - so i've had 4 x AC and 4 x docetaxol and finally had my mastectomy on Nov 25th... So at the moment i am getting over the op and waiting for the results... I know i will definatly be having radiotherapy as that is also standard for IBC patients...

It's actually so good to see some posts off people who have also recently had surgery... you wonder so much whether what you are experiencing is "normal"...

Those of you who have had a mastectomy... do you also have a huge bump where the scar is...? Or is that just me...? lol... mine looks almost like a hot dog roll beneath the skin... and the bulge at the side under my arm is HUGE!!! there is no way i could wear my current bras... Mind you it is hurting too much at the moment to wear any bra...

Sorry this is so long and rambling now...

Guest user
Not applicable

Elsie, sorry to hear you may have to have chemo. I went in fr my first one guns blazing ready to kick this thing, but it didnt last. I had it Friday afternoon, and by 9pm I was sick, but it turns out I didn't take the drugs properly afterwards and misunderstood the Nurse so will know for next time. I was sick again Saturday morning then literally laid on he sofa all week. I started to pick up at the beginning of the week, but was sick again Tuesday, but today am feeling the best I have felt since and may do some last minute Xmas shopping later on. My appetite is non existent and following mastectomy and all this have lost a stone - I'm not a small person so this is good, but all for the wrong reasons. I had a bit of a scare last night with my hair, but not sure if its just normal hair loss through its lack of condition at the mo - I cried all the same. I am trying to be positive but as each symptom happens I have mixed feelings of doom combined with a least that one less thing to worry about and I am very teary at the mo. I'm not going to lie, its not a nice thing, but everyone is different and I hope for you your kids help get you through it. My only advice at this early stage would be to take your drugs properly as soon as you can and hopefully avoid as much of the side effects early.
I upset my dad yesterday telling him to be prepared that I may not be able to make Xmas if I feel like this, but he talks of it like its a cold, and if I get out and force myself I will feel better - but I am not in control, a beechams won't get rid of this one!! He also thinks I am depressed, but I am more angry with people thinking they have a miracle cure when all I want is to be left alone to do what my body tells me to do and pick myself up when I am ready.

Narnia, fingers crossed for good results on the 9th!!!

cbc22 - I am still feeling sore from SNB lumpectomy and mastectomy - I think they only removed 3 nodes but I have a sunburn feeling under my arm right down to my elbow - My surgeon said I would feel his for some weeks - its been about 3 now! Also at the same time everything feels numb to touch so finding putting cream on quite difficult - hope the pain eases off for you soon wish I knew a way of making it better - I'm so desparate to sleep on my right side!!!

Guest user
Not applicable

You feel like your in limbo and can't move on till the results don't you. I feel lucky and like a huge weight has been lifted with regard to the clear lymph nodes. I am hoping just for radio Elsie.... if its estrogen receptive. Guess I will just have to wait and see. I am still getting a lot of underarm pain and one or two sharp pains four weeks on but I'm quite large and it has been quite difficult keeping them still! I got refitted in Debenhams the other day for a much firmer bra and the pain level went down quite a bit I must say.

I cried after Tricia said the bit "oh I see people with breast cancer who are like this" and she hunched her shoulders and bent over, cos that was me in pain! I was having a particulary bad day and could hardly walk without it hurting let alone run! So everybody has different pain thresholds and you have to do what you feel you can. I breezed through a hysterectomy years ago and this has been completely the opposite.

It's good to talk on here, thankyou everyone.

Guest user
Not applicable

get my results from tumour and snb on 9th, so one more week and i will know what the next step is going to be.Hope for clear margins and clean nodes!

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Helen,
So glad you got clear margins and lymph nodes-signs are hopeful for just radio? You must feel relieved at that?

Mandy
- I wish I had your positive attitude to losing my hair....having to get used to the idea of chemo as both my GP and BCN have said that since it has been upgraded to a 3 along with no clear margins and my age it is very likely I will have to have chemo, which has always been my worst nightmare. I am not really that worried about having surgery on Friday as it is not going to be as drastic as before.....it's what is going to follow. I feel as if my life is going on hold for the foreseeable future! Also feel really guilty for my girls as they are so excited about xmas and I could happily cancel it this year!
How did your first chemo session go and how are you feeling?
Going to meet my oldest tomorrow in town to finish xmas shopping so will have to try and lift myself, but not easy.
Take care girls and keep chatting-it really does help that there are other people out there who know how you feel. xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

It wouldn't let me post last night so here goes again.
Hello Elsie and everyone,
Got my results yesterday clear margins and lymph nodes are clear.
The receptor results weren't in yet so will have to wait until I see the oncologist in a couple of weeks to know whether I need chemo or radiotherapy .
Good luck Elsie for your op on the 5th. x

Guest user
Not applicable

Elsie, so glad your Lymphs are clear, not so great about having to go in for another op though - on a positive, though for me it was better the 2nd time around as I knew what to expect, even though the op was a tad more drastic the 2nd time around in actual face it wasn't that different at all, it was more of an inconvenience as I had started to plan happy things after the first op only to find out I was going back in again. Fingers crosed they get it all this time, and that you won't need Chemo. I start mine tmorro, not looking forward to it, but want to get it over with now. Bought my first week - Blonde and I am a brunette!!! I figured everyone knows what is going on so I am going to have fun experimenting! I'll let you know ho that goes when I get over the worst of it.
Hope they don't keep you wating too long after the op, would be nice to get some good news before Xmas! Let us know how you get on and good luck M x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Helen,
Thanks for that and you are right-I do bounce back. Spoke to my physio today who helps me manage the lymphoedema in my legs from my last cancer surgery, and she has said I can get back to swimming until next Friday so that will help as I can be so much more positive when I am exercising. Also felt cheered up after watching Tricia on GMTV this morning and she spoke about exercising throughout treatment, so that has given me something to aim for. You have to hang on to these little things!
Hope your results are good on Thursday-keep us posted. xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Elsie,
I am so pleased that your lymph nodes are clear but sorry that he has to go in again. I know it's frightening the anticipation of more surgery but the 5th is not that far away and he is sure he is going to get it this time! I do hope you get your results before Christmas! You have every right to feel down, but reading your other posts you WILL bounce back again, I know you will. Best wishes
Helen x

Guest user
Not applicable

Well, got my results today and not all as I had hoped. On the positive side, lymph nodes were clear so I am sooooo glad about that! However no clear margin so he wants to go back in to try for a clear margin-seems fairly confident that he should get it this time. Back in next Friday(5th), then another wait for 2-3 weeks for results AGAIN!!! Given that takes us up to Christmas I am not confident of hearing before then. Then an appointment with oncologist to discuss benefits(HA!) of chemo....
I know I should be so thankful at clear lymph nodes, and I am!!, but the thought of more surgery and possible chemo fills me with dread.
Hope your recovery is going well Mandy and sorry for sounding so down tonight. I will bounce back but it just gets harder each time.

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi redders!
Thanks for that! I have a friend going to Glasgow today who seems to think she may be able to access it there-failing that we have friends in Oz who we may just call in a favour from! I have been told to expect 6 weeks 5 days a week which seems to be standard for our centre. However if it is only rads then I will breathe a huge sigh of relief......!!

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Elsie!

I used emu oil when having rads and it was fantastic - only some problems right at the end. I have large boobs and had 5 weeks treatment (25 sessions) and my onc told me I would get very very severe skin problems, but I didn't. He commented on how well my skin healed in the 10 days after treatment. I bought the emu oil on eBay, but you can get it elsewhere - all the chemists in Australia stock it where it is very widely used. (Not suggesting you go there for it!!)

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Helen,
I have been using aqueous cream to massage and soften scar tissue since surgery. Think it is useful for moisturising and cooling during rads and is not scented-and you get a huge tub very cheaply! Biooil is also good for scar management though more expensive. I also saw emu oil mentioned on another thread for use during rads so am going to look into that before treatment starts(I know I def have to have that!). Good luck for your results on 27th-the waiting is awful-I am starting to have panic attacks again and it frustrates me to feel like that as I am normally a fairly calm person! xx

Guest user
Not applicable

That's fantastic news Mandy-it makes such a difference to get some positive news for a change-here's hoping my luck changes on Monday too!
At least now you can start to make plans for the future again and look forward to things, instead of having your life on hold. Hope the chemo is not too awful, but will hear how you get on. xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Excellent news Mandy. Am so pleased for you. Helenx

Guest user
Not applicable

Congratulations Mandy!!!!!!!!!

Thats excellent news! Hope you enjoyed your xmas shopping and enjoy looking forward to your trip to Oz. My last chemo is the 10th Feb and I am already planning to be out in Turkey staying with my Dad by the end of March.

xxx ((())) xxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Got some good news yesterday. I was supposed to get the results from my operation last night at 5.40, ut had to have a CT scan and bone scan yesterday and tell my Onc when I wanted to start Chemo. I still have a bit of a cold so I have decided to start chemo on 28th November. After the CT scan I saw my Onc who said my results were clear - I asked her "what from the CT scan" she said "No from the surgery", all my lymphs were clear and they took an extra one out to make sure - I was elated - I was with my mum and we both cried!! Later on I went back for my bone scan and my Onc made a special effort to find me to tell me my CT scan was clear - More good news and the nurses that did my bone scan said from their experience they too were unofficially clear also.... so all round a good day! So I did a bit of Xmas shopping coz I'm slightly more in the mood for it. Slightly gutted I won't be able to go to my boyfriends works do as I have my 2nd Chemo that day, but I should be able to go my mine on the 12th Dec and it will be nice to see my work colleagues who I haven't seen in a month!
Got all my chemo dates in the diary with the end one being on 13th March if all goes to plan. Now I know its a life insurance policy rather than a cure I can start making plans to rebook my holiday to Oz for next year when its all over - What a mad 6 weeks it has been from finding the lump(s). I still can't believe its happened. At least I can be more positive about everything now.
Hope you all get good results too - I will be thinking of you all.

Guest user
Not applicable

Thank you for your messages Dot and Elsie. It certainly makes a difference to be able to put my feelings down in words and to have someone to discuss things with. I managed to sleep through from midnight to 4 am so that was something, instead of tossing and turning all night trying to get comfortable. I am going to make an appointment with my GP. What is this aqueous cream? I know I am having radiotherapy. What does the cream do? Will be thinking of you on Monday Elsie x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Mandy,
Glad to hear you got that bit over with and I know what you mean about having a joke while in hospital-think that helps to make the whole process bearable-remember when I was in the gynae ward, an old lady of 80 speaking about losing some of the petals of her flower.......I laughed so much I nearly did myself a damage!!
Do you know when you have to start chemo? As Monday gets nearer I can't help thinking along those lines, yet still try to stay positive.
Am trying to stay busy and as I have been feeling really well and little discomfort, went Xmas shopping yesterday and blitzed it in about 2 hours-I was on a high after that!! At least that's one less thing to worry about. Hope your recovery goes well and you are getting lots of help at home? look forward to hearing how you are. xx

Helen,
our time scales sound very similar-I had my op on 31st Oct and get my results on Monday. I must have been very lucky as I have had very little discomfort, though like you I had a few low days where I wasn't in a very good place-think the anaesthetic has something to do with it. But you do need to get sleep as that affects your whole outlook, so think I would want to speak to either your bcn or your Gp if they are sympathetic. Take care. xx

dotchas

Helen,

Sorry you are having so much pain/discomfort .I am not surprised you are a bit teary!
I don't think you should put up with it,I think you should call your BCN and see what they say.
Remember sleep is important in the healing process and not sleeping will not be helping.
Take care,
Dot
x

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi everyone,
I was diagnosed on the 7th October and had a lumpectomy and SNB on the 3rd November and whilst I didnt feel too bad following surgery the pain has been getting progressively worse particularly at the 10 and 11 day stage when the burning started right through the middle of the breast and numbness, chest and under arm pain. It's now two weeks and the burning has eased a little but it feels like someone has punched the living daylights out of me. I feel worn out, can't sleep properly and feel a little teary today. I get my results on the 27th and I promised myself I would try to be positive until then but it's hard. I guess today I am feeling a little sorry for myself but I have good and bad days. You have all been through so much and I didn't realise how many people have got bc. Best wishes Helenx

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Elsie, Well they let me out on Saturday following my Mastectomy. Feel sore like last time but feel ok in myself. It wasn't as bad as I had imagined it woud be. Its strange, but I try to look at it in a positive way and grateful that I no longer have Cancer which gives me some relief. The next stage for me is obviously Chemo, but they will tell me sometime next week how close it was to my chest wall, and if it was too close I will need follow up Radiotherapy after Chemo.
I really hope your news is good, and hope that the fact that they are not in a rush to see you is good news!! Keep me posted. The waiting is the hardest bit. The only advice I can give you is to keep busy and do nice things to make the time go quicker for you.
I was in hospital with a lady in her 40s whom the cancer had spread to her Lymph glands and she had a total clearance, She doesn't know what the next stage is for her at the moment. There was also a lady who was 72 who was my inspiration. She has has 4 operations including 2 mastectomy's, she took everything in her stride and saw every trip to the hospital as a chore and a hindrence rather than seeing it as an illness with a "oh dear here we go again" attitude, we were joking about taking our fake ones out and changing sizes when we want like we were the lucky ones (not that I would want anyone to go through this) But I suppose it was a case of thinking about what you have and not what you haven't, in actual fact we had a blast in hospital!! Sounds daft I know under the circumstances.
Do ket me know how you get on I will be thinking of you and have everything crossed for you. Take care. Mandy xxxx

Guest user
Not applicable

Call me thick or what.........it's the 24th NOT this Monday.........the agony goes on......

Guest user
Not applicable

Just got my appointment in for Monday, and got a sick feeling just reading it. Want to think that they will have found clear margins and no lymph involvement, but dread being told otherwise. A day that started quite well with coffee with 2 former colleagues who are both at the end of treatment and had such a laugh with all the latest gossip in the area, has just deteriorated, and being on my own at home now doesn't help. Supposed to be organising a surprise party for a friend tonight and can't motivate myself to get going. I hate the way this awful disease plays havoc with your emotions-I am normally such a positive person. It's going to be o long 4 days.......

Guest user
Not applicable

Hi Mandy,
Been thinking about you today, and hope the op goes as well as possible and recovery straightforward. I am still in limbo-no word of an appointment yet, and trying to maintain some kind of normal family life but it is difficult as the thought is always in the back of your mind as to what comes next? Anyway sending you hugz. xx

Guest user
Not applicable

oh so sorry that you have had this news. I know what you mean about being angry - its like being a child not being able to control anything. We have this awful C**P thing but can't change it. I know we get treatment but it doesn't just affect your body but your mind as well.

I am also more concerned about the hair going. I am not vain but feel that it makes it more identifiable to people where are my boobs can be replaced with a "chicken fillet". please feel free to scream on here - I intend to when I need it.

take care.

Vicky.xx

Guest user
Not applicable

Elsie... I really hope you get the results you want... I think this is he most scary time the not knowing.
I am comming to terms with loosing a breast the way I see it is if that goes the Cancer goes but I am more concerned about my hair falling out - which unlike my boob will grow back - stupid I know! I have been reading up on recons but it looks an awful procedure to have - but like they said one step at a time... Had a look at wigs today - but the shop scared me with all the dummy heads.... I'm thinking I may just opt for a baseball cap - I've seen some with hair on which look quite funky. Sorry thats the PA in me always planning ahead!!!

Guest user
Not applicable

Oh Mandy-so sorry you didn't get the results you were looking for but at least the node result was good. That bit really worries me as I am a bit lymph compromised as it is having had bilateral clearance in the groin during the last episode which has left me with lymphoedema in both legs, and since my job depends on me being on my feet all day, I am terrified of any more problems.
Has anyone suggested any form of therapy to help cope with the emotional side of it? I was advised to try visualisation therapy last time and although a bit sceptical, I found it did help me to relax, so think I will have to hunt for my cd and start it again myself!
Know what you mean about people-was on my own all day Tuesday and had a s*** day-just wanted to cry all day, then yesterday between visitors and phone calls it was non stop, but felt as though I was on an unnatural high......! Oh to have a normal day at work.........I can't think beyond getting the results at the moment and hopefully having no more than rads, Will have to prepare myself for the possibility of further surgery , and/or chemo, but don't really want to go down that road......
Anyway sending a big hug! xx