Just had mastectomy and DIEP - few questions

Hi all!

I thought I would start a new thread as I’ve just gone through another phase of my treatment.  What a week that was!  I went in for my surgery on Monday and got home on Friday.

I had a single Mastectomy on the right breast and DIEP construction at the same time.  It wasn’t the most pleasant week of my life, but was sent home on Friday with one drain (being removed tomorrow!).

My breast is really swollen and obviously my tummy is sore.  I’m still not able to walk straight, for those of you that have gone through this, when did you start walking straight again?  My back aches when I walk around (slowly), I guess this is due to the pressure of holding myself forward??

Another question I have is, when does the swelling go down on the breast?  My surgeon was going to increase my bust size.  He was going to use the fat to construct a new breast, then the remaining fat to pump up the other.  Well - he quite clearly hasn’t done anything to the left, so I really have no idea whether he changed his mind during the op, or whether he intends to increase the left further down the line, which I would never had agreed to.  I just wanted one op as I’d already had a lumpectomy back in January, so already felt as if I’d been through the mill.  However I can’t tell the size of the new breast due to the swelling.  The shape is really good though, so I’m happy with that at least.

I next see the surgeon on 4th May, so won’t find out anything until then.  When I asked the oncologist, he wasn’t able to tell me!

Of course, the most important outcome is that I will be cancer free, but I won’t find that out until another week or so.

Roll on tomorrow when I will have this yucky drain removed!

H x

Hi H

I had mastectomy and diep reconstruction nearly 9 weeks ago.  I honestly thought I would never be ableto walk properly again.  But I can and do.  I was in hospital for 4 nights (with not alot of support in there). I walked to the hospital bathroom and tried to get a wash but my back really ached. I had a very long walk from the ward to the carpark when discharged.  getting upstairs and getting into bed was also a challenge. Just getting a wash every morning tired me out due to my back aching and not being as flexible.  I had to make myself take little walks round the house every hour.  Then My husband took me to the corner shop (2 minutes walk away - it took longer than 2 minutes).  Every day I went out for a little 10 min walk, walking like a Nana to quote a friend of mine! And then I just kept going for a bit longer and now I’m back to normal - walking, that it!  I can’t remember how long it took - probably about 4 or 5 weeks - it seemed a long time, but it wasn’t really.  I can say that easily, now that I’m at this end of it all. I drove after about 5 weeks which went some way to making me feel more normal.  I was really pleased with the new breast though - as pleased as I could be.  The shape and the size matched the other one.  In the last 3 weeks or so it has become hard in places, but when I saw the surgeon he said this was normal - necrosis I think he said - and that massage should help it.  Just got to wait for nipple and tattoo, but I’m not in a rush.

good luck for your results and hope that you are cancer-free. 

Be gentle with yourself - it does take time, but listen to your body and only do what doesn’t hurt.  It is frustrating at first, especially when you’re used to being independent, but your body has been through a hell of a lot - let it heal, take your time, make the most of sitting and watching rubbish telly.  Before long you’ll be back to doing everything for everybody.  Take care.   xJane

I had implants,as thought it would be easier,however,both failed as did the expanders.to date,since last September have had 8 lots of surgery…going for DIEP in July…this is a bit unnerving,but having gone through 2 hip replacements,I know I shall be OK…

Had last lot of surgery last week,and just returned from my first bit of exercise ,a 3 mile walk.

I shall be on this board come July with questions ,and my main fear us weather,won’t be wanting a heat wave.

Trash TV,trashy mags and chocolate are planned.As is rehab and recovery in our caravan on the coast.

Take care,all of you here.Keeeeeeep walking!!!

Ladies, hello. I have also just had a DIEP reconstruction last week, although mine was delayed having had an mx in 2012.  One thing struck me when I read your posts, why werent you given a wheelchair to get back to the car park, instead of having to walk a long way?  The care I received at my hospital was excellent, so im really sorry to read that not all ladies have the same good experience.  I wish you a speedy recovery and hope the anit biotics clear up the infection soon.

Best wishes

Joan x

I had my MX & immediate DIEP 10 months ago. The hospital I was in (East Grinstead) advocated wearing Bridget Jones knickers as soon as possible after the op. I was very nervous about getting thrm on and off but I need not have worried as They made What is a list of man made fabrics - Wiki Answers
wiki.answers.com › … › Categories › Shopping › Fashion › Clothing
Man made fibers: . acetate . acrylic . nylon . polyester . rayon . spandex natural fibers … Yes, here is a link to a list of Acrylic and other Man Made Fibers. so much more comfortable and i could walk upright by day two with no problem to my back.
I had quite a few problems after 2 weeks with leaking seroma from my tummy scar - not painful just really inconvenient as i kept soaking through dressings and clothing. When the district nurse was changing my tummy dressings she took a look at the reconstructed boob and noticed an area of redness and suggested that i went back to the hospital to have it checked out. I had no discomfort and no temperature but i ended ip back in hospital on intravenous antibiotics as they discovered (after 4 days in hospital) that I had a seroma in the boob which had become infected. They drained 100ml but I needed a short operation to give it a good clean out. They only discovered this after an ultrasound scan. I didn’t realise it was as bad as it was until the surgeon who did the second op started talking about the possibilty of needing a skin graft above where the infection was as the skin was already compromised from when i had radiotherapy on it four years previously. Thankfully it didn’t come to that but i am eternally grateful to my district nurse for pursuading me to go back to have it checked out. It was only a bit of redness so if you have anything similar - go get it checked!
I felt really let down that the hospital hadn’t suspected an infection earlier. I ended up insisting that they did another ultrasound before i was discharged as the boob felt exactly the same after 2 weeks of antibiotics as it did when i first went back in. As far as i was concerned there were no outward signs other than a slight redness!
I have also found that my tummy scar has taken ages to get back to anything like normal. Once again, not painful but just really uncomfortable. It took months before i could get up from laying down without pivoting up onto my elbow first. I had great treatment for my original operation but I have really found that the issues with the tummy site are almost passed off as collateral damage to give me a reconscructed breast.
I did a sort of blog after my op (warts and all) if you would like me to send you a copy pm me with your email address and i will hsppily send you a copy.
My recon felt like a Belgian bun for months afterwards and only started loosening up and feeling more normsl after about 7/8 months!

Hello ladies, I hope things have moved on for you and that you are now making progress with yoru recovery.  Horror story re the wheelchair!  Im in Herts and feel very lucky that I have had no such problems at my local hospital.

Duffer 56, I havent written anything down at all regarding my recon.  With my treatment, yes, I did keep a diary, but I didnt even think to do it this time.

I had a slight hic-cough last weekend.  Had a few aches and pain in my abdomen (just over 2 weeks post op), so I rang the hospital ward on Saturday who told me to take paracetamol and ibuprofen.  Rest, rest, rest and if no better to go back on Sunday.  Furtunately, things were better on Sunday but I gave myself a big fright!  Ive jsut done too much really.  Ive felt so well and had no pain, so its hard to sit and not do anything.

HFK1234, hope you have continued to make progress.  Are you off the AB’s yet?  Hope the walking is easier for you now. 

Best wishes to you for a speedy recovery

Joan xxx