69.3K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just how aggressive is HER2+ Breast Cancer & why does it have a higher risk of recurrence

1 REPLY 1
Lulu34

Re: Just how aggressive is HER2+ Breast Cancer & why does it have a higher risk of recurrence

Hi Kat

Her2 cancer was always considered more aggressive before they discovered herceptin, but now this is available it has brought it more in line with er/pr+ cancer.

In secondary breast cancer the outcome is eventually always the same but some people can live for a long time with secondary breast cancer..... The outcome often depends more on where the cancer has spread to rather than what type of cancer it is..... Eg people with bone mets can live for decades!

Lulu xxx
Kat77

Just how aggressive is HER2+ Breast Cancer & why does it have a higher risk of recurrence

Hello,
I have posted on here a few times since my mum's diagnosis back in June. Mum's BC is grade 3 and HER2 +. Luckily all her scans have come back clear. Mum is almost half way through her chemo and seems to be coping well.
I have been doing lots of reading about Mum's type of cancer as I have to know what we are dealing with and everything I have read about HER2+ cancer is pretty scary. When they say it is aggressive what do they mean? Is the aggressiveness different to that in ER/PR+ BC even at the same grade? Also why does HER2+ BC has a higher risk of recurrence? does the higher risk also apply to secondary BC. I know Herceptine will play a major role in helping mum beat the disease but I am so worried for her and the future.