Just newly diagnosed

I’ve just been diagnosed with bc. Don’t know what cancer it is waiting on results. Can’t sleep, can’t eat, feeling all sorts of emotions. Is this normal?

Hi Sudzi, I’m so sorry you’ve found yourself here with those of us who have or have had bc.  What you are feeling is very normal. I was diagnosed in Feb with grade 2 idc and felt the same as you - couldn’t eat or sleep and kept crying. It was all so overwhelming because I didn’t know what lay head and if I would even survive! But once I had a treatment plan (lumpectomy & radiotherapy, no chemo) I started to feel more in control and reassured that everything was going to be ok.  Breast cancer is very common and very treatable with new treatments being rolled out all the time - I’ve read about 2 or 3 in the last 6 months. I did do a lot of googling in the beginning but would advise you not to do that as the information is often out of date and of no use whatsover.  I finished my treatment in June and will have my next appointment early next year to have a mammogram and ultrasound. Life is pretty much back to normal (as much as it will ever be I guess after having a cancer diagnosis) and I am looking forward to the future with my husband and children.  I hope that you have people around you who can support you, even someone to have a cry with when things get too much! You will get through this.  Don’t hesitate to post questions on this site or just post if you are having a bad day, there will always be someone who has been through it who can give you some words of support.  Take care, Michelle xx

Hi Sudzi. So sorry you’ve had a BC diagnosis and what you are feeling is absolutely normal. This is a wonderful place to find and use to support you on the journey none of us signed up for, especially for sharing fears and worries we feel unable to with those around us, advice and reassurance. I feel I’ve made wonderful new friends and shared a lot of virtual laughter, which I would never have expected. Sending a hug xx

Hi Sudzi

I am so sorry you have been diagnosed with breast cancer - it is a horrible and terrifying diagnosis to be given, but I promise you it will get better…

I was diagnosed on 13th July after a long and stressful period of not knowing what my strange lump was (biopsy results came back inconclusive) and during this period I almost lost my marbles! I couldn’t eat, sleep or concentrate on anything for longer than a few seconds. I would keep breaking down in tears and having horrible panic attacks.

However, once I knew what I was dealing with and could help decide my own course of treatment, I started to feel better. I also educated myself on the different types of breast cancer (although be very careful when using Google) as I believe knowledge is power. I spoke to lots of other ladies who had been through breast cancer and began to change my frame of mind to a more positive one.

Everyone here will tell you that not knowing all the details is the worst, but once you know what you are dealing with and can start to take control a little bit, things do get easier.

Hang in there and be kind to yourself.

Hi Sudzi. I’m waiting on path results also. Have to go back on Wednesday. I am feeling all of your emotions. Then I guess it’s waiting for an op date. Add me on FB if you wish then perhaps we can be there for each other Suzy burns x

Hi there, are you the suzy from cambuslang? Just trying to find you on FB. Thanks to all who have commented, your comments have lifted my spirits a bit. I had WLE last Wednesday plus sentinel nodes removed.  Deodorant not working for me just now, is this normal? using plenty under arms but still feel as if I have NO.  Every time phone rings just now I jump in fear. I had a good day yesterday but can’t stop shaking today what’s wrong with me?

I’m sorry to read that more of us women are being diagnosed with this terrible thing (I can’t even say the word). I am so glad I found this site. Just to know that I am not on my own with this and that I can come on here and ask questions and just be able to talk about it has been a great comfort for me. I’m very grateful to you all for your encouraging words. Thank you

Got a phone call at 9am asking me to go over to hospital to see doctor. I have been told I have grade three invasive cancer which is aggressive. Sentinel nodes are clear, tumour larger than was thought. Been told now it’s 6 months chemotherapy then 4 weeks radiotherapy. Good news is no more surgery needed. So I’m taking all this as a positive and considering myself lucky or am I being naive about this?? Not quite sure if I should be happy or what, mixed emotions yet again. I’m a mess.

Hi Sudzi. That’s brilliant news for surgery results and no surprise at all you are feeling emotional. I have avoided roller coasters all my life, but the emotional one seems to be mandatory with this bloomin diagnosis. Hugs xx

Thank you for all your kind messages, the’ve helped me stay positive today. Brenda I’m sending you lots of love and hugs for 22nd. I really hope all goes well. Just back from the doctors as I had a marena coil in and was told it had to come out. I’m not quite sure why but it’s out now, had to have smear test while there as well. So will probably be a bit anxious about this for a few weeks. Feels like that’s all I’m getting is tests for this and tests for that, it’s never ending!

Brenda, please keep in touch, I’ll check this every day to see how your doing x . Sue H-S thanks for the list. I have copied most of it to my notebook and will now start gathering things before my chemo starts. 

I come from a large family and have not seen any of them since my diagnosis. I had a call from one of them yesterday, they asked about it and I told them all that I have been told. They said “so it’s just a case of getting chemo and you’ll be ok” then “I don’t know what all the drama about cancer is” . I didn’t have an answer to this but I got quite a bit upset last night when I was on my own. I’ve never considered myself as a drama queen. I’m not looking for sympathy, I was just looking for some support from family. I don’t think I’ll bother with any of them now.  

Sue…sending you a hug…you’ve been so kind to me.There must be something in the air, you’re right.Struggling a bit after this 3rd chemo and this afternoon have a largish social do which in one way I’ve been really looking forward to but I’m also apprehensive as feeling a bit vulnerable this week and hope I keep emotions in check! Lots of love to you x

Hi Brenda. I’m not sure whether your surgery is being done in a general hospital. However, there should be a social care discharge team. I’m not sure of your age but I’m certain you would be entitled to an assessment. An Occupational Therapist should be able to provide an assessment of your personal care needs and also to provide any equipment you need at home if identified. Speak with your BC nurse about accessing this, you may be able access quickly via a duty system. It may be possible to get a care package in place to support you at home, rather than think about a care home. Your BC nurse may also be able to provide reassurance on managing. I’ve been lucky enough to be able to wash my hair but am a convert to dry shampoo following foot surgery last year, when showers and baths were banned for 6 weeks. Thinking of you all, it sounds like a tough time all round. My family are far away and BT fault has meant neither phone not Internet for a couple days - just when it’s most needed! Big hugs xx

Sending hugs Sue and everyone else.
I can understand why you had a good old cry Sue. I take my hat off to you going through treatment on your own and helping all us ladies too. You are a remarkable lady, and everyone needs a wobble some days.
Brenda. If you can have a bit of respite for a few weeks and it feels right for you then I would say go ahead. If you find you are able to do more Han you thought then you can always cut it short? I had a single Mx and apart from the drains being annoying I recovered pretty quick. Although everyone is different.
Hugs to all you brave ladies
Sarah x

Hi Brenda,

I’ve been thinking about you a lot. I’m sending you lots of big hugs and plenty of love. I’m quite sad at the thought of you going thru this on your own. I really hope that all goes well next week. 

Please remember that we are all here for you to offer support in any way we can.

Hi Brenda,

Just wondering how you are today? I’ve got an appt with oncologist on Wed 21st. Will find out then what treatment plan is and when it it will start. I have copied lots of things from the list on this site about what I might need for when I go thru chemotherapy. I might not need them but it has kept me occupied going to the shops to get them.

I know your going to hospital on 22nd and I’m still keeping my fingers crossed.

Sending you big hugs xx

Thanks Steph j and Brenda for all your support.

I’ll take all the jelly tot fairy dust I can get. I know this might seem really stupid but I need Wednesday to come round quickly. The waiting has not been good for me, sleepless nights, no appetite, emotional and all the rest. Come Wednesday I’ll know what the treatment plan is, I’ll know when it’s to start. I am not looking forward to the next 9 months but at the minute all I think is that it may be somewhere else in my body and I need to get this treatment started adsp. Then maybe just maybe I might feel a bit more positive in my mind

I love the pics Sue , made me smile xx And Sudzi of course you want Wednesday to come .You will then know what youre dealing with . Im sure my hair has now got a lot more grey from only a few weeks ago , the stress of waiting and wondering is awful . I only have one more sleep and I will hear my fate but bring it on I say so I can deal with it , this not knowing has got to be the worst . 

Im sleeping quite well so far I must admit , I have lost weight and Im not feeling any motivation to do anything and I dont particulary care either right now . This is obviously  the way my body has responded  to the situation so Ill just ride with it .

I have had a very stressful summer with lots of problems with my daughter and her children …very long story with a history of at least 15 years . She was in a domestic violent relationship which resulted in all sorts over the years , every year I think thats got to be the last problem …but oh no here we go again . Now I have a family back at home and all the crappy garbage that comes along too . The guy I met back in March decided to go back to his ex the week after I told him I had been diagnosed , so all in all I think my little body has just decided to shut down for a while . And quite frankly thats ok with me . The most important day is tomorrow and I dont have to speculate anymore . Iv no idea how I am going to react but I do know that all the energy I have will be conserved and used to get me through this next chapter in my life . Crikey dont know why i just blabbed all that I was only supposed to offer support to Sudzi ha …sorry Sudzi it became all about me there … big hug honey Wednesday will soon be here xxx

Hi Sudzi 

Glad you have support and your ex is helping ,  In the past Iv always found my support comes from the most unlikely people , those who I would never have guessed and those who I did …let me down . Life can be strange . 

I agree everyone has a story and lots of  people do have sadness and stress in their lives … I think were all a bit guilty of not noticing . Maybe just as well sometimes I couldnt cope ha  ( tongue in cheek ) . You didnt need the  latest either did you … Ill be thinking of you on Wednesday and blowing my fairy dust . xxx 

Hi Brenda,

Just popped on to wish you best of luck for tomorrow.  I hope all goes well. I’ll be thinking about you.

Sending you lots of love and big hugs xx