cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just started radiotherapy

44 REPLIES 44
tomorrow_will_

Re: Just started radiotherapy

Thank you Lozzarooney. Just off now for last whoop whoop. Planning day next friday.xxx backback to work !! I'm dreading that . GGood luck x
Lozzarooney1

Hello Pat
woop woop - chemo nearly done and dusted - well done you!! 🙂
Just to reassure you - you WON'T need to take your wig off. I stripped to the waist - you may be given a modesty top, but if not then wear a vest bra which you can pull down when you get on the table. Use plenty of cream.
You'll have your rads planning day first - they measure and work out how much you'll need and over what area. You'll also get 3 tiny tattoos like a full stop but blue (just as well as I'm quite moley and wondered how they'd see them lol!). They'll ask you every day how you are - be honest if you have any worries. I found rads made me nauseous so was prescribed some Domperidone.
It ges tiring towards the end so make sure you rest and be kind to yourself - you deserve it!!
Good luck!! I had my last one one Good Friday!!
Going back to work next week!!!! 🐵 xx
tomorrow_will_

hi , I ve my LAST chemo tomorrow HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY. Due to start rads may 20th hope this isn't too silly a question but will i have to take my wig off? Any advise Really appreciated. Thank you.
Pat xxx
Lozzarooney1

Got it!! 🙂 Tis a pain when messages disappear - I've had it happen quite a few times now 😞
i reckon we must be waiting in different places! Lol! I'm on Linac D usually about 9amish except for tomorrow when I'm on Linac C in the evening! 18:09 might take my kindle as it could be a long wait.
Have you had any side effects? does feel like my boob has been pumped up by a bicycle pump ... feels heavy and throbs sometimes ! Tis the nausea more than anything tho. Still only 9 to go! Single figures now!
i did email you - but thought I'd check the site in case you'd been on!
Off to bed for a snooze - oh yeah ... another SE lol!
Take care - hope you're back home soon (if not already!). 🙂
Lozza xx
smc78

HEllo again. I have no idea where my message went as i cant find it on here now either lol. I have my last radiotherapy this coming Thursday so only 2 more sessions for me. I'll try to pm you my personal email address so we can chat more. Hope things are going well. 🙂 xx
Lozzarooney1

Hi Sian
Nothing there hun 😞 just looked. Have you finished rads now?
Hope you're ok.
I had a hot chocolate in League of Friends in Eye Unit - was fabulous!! Random posting I know - but thought I'd share!! Lol 🙂
Lozza xx
smc78

Hi Lozza. Just PM'd you back. xx
Lozzarooney1

Hi Sian
I've sent you a PM
hugs to all
Lozza xx
Pegglass

Hi all - re the aching...
I had 6 FEC ending December 27, then surgery - and rads stated last week.
I too have aching joints and hands and my mouth is yukky - but it all started BEFORE the rads - so I reckon it's chemo after effects.
Peg
Finleysnana

Hi Jayne

Sorted out insurance this morning after spending most of the morning on the telephone. I rang Insure Pink and they quoted me and my husband for 17 days cover to the USA £344.60 single trip. My husband takes tablets for blood pressure and statins, I also rang Insurance with they quoted me £534.83 for a 12 month policy and £239.84 for a single trip. I then rang All Clear they quoted me £613.84 for a 12 month policy. Freespirt would not give me a quote because I still had to have a follow up consultation with the oncologist. I then rang Worldfirst - 0845 9080161 as this company had been recommended on this by another lady. I was given a quote for a single trip of £243.15 and a 12 month Policy of £219.75. I have taken out this policy. Please be aware all th companies will ask you lots of questions and there is also quite hefty excess on declared medical conditions but this company is the most reasonable I found.

Hope this assists.
Finley's nana
Finleysnana

I had a lumpectomy at the beginning of December and was off work until the New Year. Went back to work full-time and started radiotherapy at the beginning of February and went back to work after my treatment. Finished my radiotherapy last Tuesday and have only had today off as work thought I was tired so I am also having off next Friday too. I think it is better if you can go back to work. I feel fine at work even though I am sitting at a desk and also running up and downstairs. It is giving me something to do rather than sitting at home feeling sorry for myself. Hope this helps.

Finley's Nana
smc78

Lozza i think i may well see you actually as the waiting area i go to is for a few of the machines. I got through the double doors next to the reception desk, down the slop and waitin the are to the right. I didnt have to wait long today really. It's going ok. My skin is just starting to change colour but isnt sore yet. Half way today so getting there slowly. I've been signed off work since last July as i'm a teaching assistant. I couldnt work through chemo due to risk of infection from the kids. I finished chemo at end of Oct then had surgery in Dec. I'm going back to work on May 13th. What do you do?
Sian x
Lozzarooney1

Goodness me Sian! Thanks for the warning!!
I just assumed we all sat in the first waiting area - when you first go in!
Gosh what a tiring week for you!! Blimey you're gonna be well exhausted by the end!!! Are you signed off work?
Hows it all going?
Hugs to everyone 🙂
Lozza xx
Ribby72

Hi Mazg. Woke up this morning & aching had gone - feel a bit stiff tho & my hands/shoulders started to ache early evening. Mentioned it to my rads nurse but she said rads shouldnt cause aching. She did ask if i was on hormone therapy tho.
I had 6 x FEC, last one on 23rd Jan, then 15 lots of rads (had #10 today). Im on tamoxifen, which i started 13 days ago.....
Hope you are feeling better X
smc78

Lozza i didnt get home untill 3pm due to the delays. They've been running behind every day this week! I dont have to worry about parking as i'm getting hospital transport. I live an hour away from Southampton and dont have a car so the volunteer drivers pick me up each day. I probably wont see you then as we'll be in different waiting rooms. Xx
Mazg

Ribby72 I'm still achey - it's worst in my hands now - . I finished my 6 cycles of FEC on jan 22 and have had 9 radiotherapy sessions - at least the end is in sight! How are you?
Lozzarooney1

Oh no Sian!!! Hope you're all done now!! Don't forget to put your car parking ticket in the machine at the reception desk there then the most you'll pay is £2 no matter how long it takes!!
Am booked for Linac D xx
smc78

Hi Lozza my appointments are all mornings too. Do you know which machine you'll be on yet as there are different waiting areas for each one. I'm on Linac A. Sitting in the waiting room now actually as its running an hour behind! Xx
Lozzarooney1

Thanks everyone for your responses 🙂 spose I'd better ring them and check 😞 oh well ... looks like I may stay a 'fat arse' for the foreseeable future then lol!
smc78 - have had all my treatment at Southampton and have 15 rads booked - all early morning ones too! 🙂 first one on 11th march and last one 3rd April. May see you there!! 🐵 xx
Hugs to all
Lozza xx
smc78

Lozzarooney1 I'm having radiotherapy at Southampton now and as i'm having 25 i will still be having mine when you start. My last rads is 21st March. Where have you had your other treatment? I was seen at Salisbury hopsital and my Oncologist works in both hospitals. I saw her at Salisbury on 21st January roughly 6 weeks after my mastectomy to discuss radiotherapy and she gave me the Tamoxifen that day. I started radiotherapy on 13th March.
Sian x
Jayne_m

Not sure, I was told that I would have 15 rads to the whole breast and a final 3 boosters to the tumour site. That involved putting a frame type thing on the machine and moving it in so the frame touched my breast where the tumour was then I was blasted for what felt like forever! Apparantly it was the same dose as all of the others - for the others I had two blasts, each from a different direction and it buzzed on and off a bit, the booster was just one long blast which they say equated to the same amount as the others.

I suggest you ask your onc, it may be that you don't need it or it is not appropriate for your tumour site??

Take care - I am off to try and get some sleep now, tamoxifen permitting.....

Jayne x
Ribby72

Hi Jayne... lol.... 🙂
Yes thats how i'd describe it. I dont feel ill as such but really achy & tense. Flu-like!
Well done with the rads! My onc today said i was just over 1/2 way through so not giving me the booster as far as im aware..... Why do they give that?
Jayne_m

By the way, i have 2 more Rads to go - I have had 15 regular and 1 booster with 2 more boosters to go.
Jayne_m

Hi Ribby, fancy seeing you here!! I am achy too, strange really as I feel almost flu-like without actually feeling ill, bit shivery, very tired and achy but not ill.

Jayne x
Ribby72

Hi, ive popped in from the 'starting chemo in october' thread. Just popped on here to check out how u are coping with rads.... I finished chemo end of January & am having 15 rads (just done #9) on right hand side. I noticed MAGZ commented on how achy she is. After suffering with painful shoulder & shoulder blade last nite, this afternoon my whole body suddenly starting aching - even my fingers & toes. Just wondering if you are ok now Magz / if anyone else has experienced this / if its just me being paranoid!!!! x
Finleysnana

I rang a couple of companies and was told to wait until my radiotherapy had finished as I would only be on one treatment - hormone and calcium tablets and it would be cheaper. I am going to try and get a yearly policy as we hope to go again to the USA in October also. Will let you know how I get on. Finley's nana
Jayne_m

Finley's Nana - I would be interested in how you get on with the insurance as we are going to Florida in May and I will need to sort some out too.

Thanks
Jayne
Finleysnana

Hi Lozza

I would contact your Onc Centre as every centre is different. I was told to use E45 cream before I started radiotherapy and use this throughout the treatment and afterwards The staff and your Consultant will keep an eye on your skin and they will prescribe hydrocortizone cream if you need it. You must not use anything that they dont advise. I was told to wash the area with Johnsons baby soap with either my hands or a soft sponge. Johnsons have stopped making just ordinary baby soap it is now with honey which you must not use. I got some Boots baby soap which my daughter had to send me from Saffron Walden as Blackburn Boots did not stock it.

Just finished my radiotherapy this morning now to arrange my holiday insurance for April when we go to Florida.
Finley's Nana
Jayne_m

I was also told to start taking Tamoxifen 3-4 weeks after chemo, again just before I started rads.
kes_1

Hi Lozza, I was given prescription for Tamoxifen before i had my last chemo and started 3wks afterwards , a week or so before radiotherapy x
Lozzarooney1

Hi ladies
Have been reading this post with interest as I am due to start rads at Southampton on 11 March.
Debs2307 - just wondered whether you should be ringing onc centre re cream advice rather than GP? Unless of course you've already been told what to ask your GP for should your skin break down.
I haven't started Tamoxifen yet - was originally told I'd start with radiotherapy but I forgot to mention at rads planning day! Is anyone else the same?
Hugs to you all
Lozza xx
Deb2307

Hi I have finished treatment now, but when I saw the oncologist she said the side effects would peak about 2 weeks after finishing treatment and my skin broke down over the weekend. How silly!! Anyway will pop to the GP and get some cream. I hope you are all OK and that you all have bright lights at the end of your tunnels XX
Finleysnana

Last one tomorrow. My appetite went but now it has come back. I have had no real side effects only slight redness and I am using baby soap when having a shower and e45 cream. I am now tnight when I get home from work. Work gave me last Friday off which helped. Saw the consultant Oncologist this morning and she was very pleased with me. Will see me again before I go on holiday in the middle of April. She said the redness could get worse before it gets better. Finleys nana
Mazg

Finleysnana you are ahead of me - I started rads on February 18 - have had 5 so far (15 to go) and am really achey especially in my joints and my hands. My sense of of taste has also been affected - have you found that?
Deb2307

Good morning. I have finally reached over half way had my eighth one yesterday, with the servicing the machines and machines breaking down it seems to have taken forever (this is the third week) but the end is in sight. on a crash run now only have sunday off. I see the oncologist tomorrow but i think everything is ok and then I am looking forward to being me again. My youngest daughter is of to Mexico so I am going to Southampton at the beginning of March to look after my yougest granddaughter, so that should be loads of fun. Have a good day
Deb
Finleysnana

I have to have 15 . Had 5 so 10 more to go.
Margaret
Deb2307

Thats good, always makes you feel better when they confirm you are not a fruit loop lol. How many sessions of radiotherapy do you have? Take care
Finleysnana

Saw the oncologist yesterday and she was very helpful. The cough is all associated with a stinking cold I have developed. The red circle is a reaction and has come out as an exit point. She had a student with her and was really pleased to be able to show him as you do not see it very often. My husband thought it was that after looking on the NHS website. Just given hydrocortisone cream to put on.

margaret
Deb2307

Hi just wondered how you got on with your review? I hope you are feeling OK?
Finleysnana

Thank you it is good to know there are people to help. It has also knocked me off my food no taste whatsoever. Will see the Doctor or Nurse tomorrow for my review. xx
Deb2307

Hi not sure about the red circle and I cant say that it is totally related to the radiotherapy but I have had a cough since about the second session and I am having problems with my voice and taste. I just put it down to me being me. I have now had 7 sessions out of 15. I am not sure if this will help but sometimes it is just good to know someone else is there. XX
Mapie

Don't have any answers but would advise you talk to the radiographers at your next treatment or ask to see the nurse at the centre where you are receiving your treatment.
Finleysnana

Thank you.

Margaret
Jo_BCC

Hi Finleysnana

While you are waiting for replies to your questions, I have put for you below the link to BCC's publication regarding radiotherapy which you might find helpful. Also our helpline team are just a free phone call away if you would like to give them a call, they're here to support you throught this. Lines open Mon-Fri 9-5 and Sat 10-2

http://www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/treatment-side-effects/radiotherapy-primary-early-b...

Take care,

Jo, Facilitator

Finleysnana

Just started radiotherapy

I have just started Radiotherapy last Wednesday and have noticed that I have a large red circle appeared on my bottom which is not sore. Could this be from the radiotherapy? Also can you get a cough when you start radiotherapy?
Margaret