Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just told

14 REPLIES 14
ann-m
Community Champion

Re: Just told

Denise,
The early days are horrible when dealing with this, but it does get better. Once your diagnosis is confirmed then you will get your treatment plan, at this stage it does get better as the uncertainty resolves somewhat.
As Lorac says, this stage is a shock & the mind goes into anxiety overdrive, but it will move on. Nothing is worse than our imaginings at this stage.
We've all had times when we feel like this, but do come out the other side.
do take care
ann x
lorac170

Denise,

Your breast is a bit sore now probably because of the biopsy and all the prodding - honestly - it has not grown in 5 days. You're just in a state of panic - understandably - we've all been there. You hear the word CANCER and think the worst, again, understandably.

Once you get your results and have a treatment plan you'll feel a bit more in control. Try not to worry too much - easier said than done I know - but BC is very treatable nowadays. 

You're in a state of shock at this time but come on here and get advice etc and, please, try not to worry yourself into a state. 

Wishing you all the best, Carol xxx

Denise1000

Thank you for your support , I am still numb with shock ... had biopsy last week , wasn't to bad no bruising , pain etc , ... now 5 days later my breast hurts , I'm thinking all sorts of rubbish like my cancer has grown bigger and bigger , I'm going to die ... the emotions go on and on , I have my biopsy results this Thursday   Although the dr has allready. Told me it's cancer .... what happens next please 

DPD

Thank you so much -these comments have helped so much xxx
ladybowler
Community Champion

Denise

I am the same as Jill, my cancer was found as a result of a routine mammogram, just shows that they are doing their job, it was caught early, I have had my op in Oct 16, radiotherapy finished Jan 2017 and am on tamoxifen for the next 5 years, I went back to my normal working hours two weeks ago.  Thank god it was found early and I know how lucky I am.

Try and keep yourself occupied by doing nice things.  It is horrible when anxiety takes over and we can not think straight, we all know that feeling so you are in good company, we are here to help and support you through this.  When you get your treatment plan things will be much better because you will know exactly what you are dealing with and what is going to happen, it makes such a difference xx

Jill1998
Community Champion

Hi Denise it's really horrible,scary and overwhelming in the beginning .I also got recall from routine mammogram and they found small area of invasive cancer .The good news is that if it's been found by mammogram it's likely to have been caught very early and is very treatable.The outcomes for women with breast cancer are really good these days .I had op (lumpectomy ) and 3 weeks radiotherapy and 2 years later I'm still here and hopefully will remain so for many years.Lots of advice and support on this site .Jill.
Denise1000

I had been called back after routine mammogram and told I have a small cancer , just waiting for the results to come back , I am so scared , can't think about anything else at the moment.  .... just keep crying xxx

tstock70

Hi,

I had my diagnosis last week too, I'm in limbo land just waiting for a load more tests, I know I've got Bone Scan & MRI next Monday,just waiting for an appt for a CT !  Can't get my treatment plan til I've had my scans 😞

Hope you get your treatment plan soon xx

DPD

Thank you - it is great to have this forum &I support Have stayed away from the internet!
DPD

Thanks for your reply-as you said it is about keeping normal-found it odd walking around shops knowing what I know and the world continues in with its business
Anniej
Community Champion

Hi DPD, my thoughts are with you. I was told a month ago my lump was cancerous. I was very shocked, but you have to have faith in the system. I was encouraged to go on holiday and am waiting for my results and treatment plan. The first couple of weeks were horrendous , but I've given it a name and it helps to curse it up hill and down dale. I have a little booklet which I call the battle book, and I have all my middle of the night thoughts and questions in that. This site and these ladies have been a real inspiration. DO NOT Google as it will give you nightmares. My team were 100% encouraging that BC is very treatable, so I'll go with that! Take care. X

Mumoftwo

Hi DPD, it is a shock isn't it to be told you have cancer, especially as maybe, like me, you felt so well when you were given the news so it was hard to comprehend that something so horrible could be growing without you knowing.  But as Ladybowler said, breast cancer treatments are very successful these days and even in the year since I was diagnosed there have been several breakthroughs with new treatments which is incredible and just shows how well scientists understand the disease and are making progress.

You mentioned having an MR mammogram, did you mean an MRI? I had this and whilst I was very nervous it was actually easier than I thought it would be and thankfully the results showed only the one tumour.

These early days are very difficult as you wait for lots of results, but once they come through and your treatment plan is decided you will feel better about things believe it or not! 

My treatment finished in June (lumpectomy and rads, no chemo) and I have been on Tamoxifen since April and my life is pretty much back to normal, as much as it can be anyway after having cancer.  I've also had my first annual check which showed no evidence of cancer which was such a relief.

I hope your treatment goes well for you. Don't hesitate to ask any questions on here, there will no doubt be someone on here who can give you the answers based on their own experience.

Michelle xx

Jill1998
Community Champion

Hi DPD,welcome to the forum .This forum saved my sanity when I was first diagnosed ,it's such a scary time and very hard to carry on with normal life alongside it all .I remember thinking I'm still supposed to go to Sainsbury's and do the shopping really ???There is lots to get your head around in the first few weeks and it's like the docs are speaking a foreign language don't think l I took very much at all.If you can take someone with you to appointments it helps both for moral support and for them to listen to what you are being told and ask questions too.All the best Jill .
ladybowler
Community Champion

DPD

Hello and welcome, although not a place where you really want to be. 

This is a horrible time whilst you know that you have been diagnosed but are waiting for your treatment plan.  I found that once I had mine, I felt reassured, in a strange way, that I was now going to be treated and the breast caner would soon be gone.  I actually gave mine a name, Mr Blobby, and as far as I was concerned Mr Blobby was going to be history.

It is hard not to think about it and the future but try and give yourself distractions.  When thoughts do pop in to your head, I found that writing things down helped immensely as it took them out of my head, it meant that I could refer to the questions that I needed answering written down to ask when I next saw the consultant .

The thing to remember is that breast cancer treatment today has progressed so much even in the last five years and early diagnosis has really helped with that.

There are lots of lovely ladies on here who know exactly what you are going through and will be able to share their experiences with you to try and answer your questions. There is also the nurses thread and the wonderful people on the helpline who are there 24/7 to provide support.

Sending you a hug

Helena xxx

DPD

Just told

I received my biopsy results 3days ago and so shocked -consultant said to start tamoxifen and now waiting for an MR mammo & then surgery. So worried about the future & treatment Trying to just get on but thoughts keeping popping into head!