Just wondering.....

Hi,

Im posting mad today!!! Im having a bloody cancer day and want lots of information!!! I have noticed that many young women have high grade/stage cancer and lots seem to be triple negative…I was “luckyer” as mine was low grade/stage and could be treated with hormone therapy! (22 @ dx and no chemo, double mastectomy)I was just wondering if anybody knows where i can get any info on the net re: younger womens cancer? I would like to know why i seem to be different…may be due to genetics, im not sure!

Thanks,

Emily

hi mairead
i have had the very same as you low grade and stage, double mastectomy now on tamoxifen, dx at age 45 so a bit older, not much on sites, people have said on here that ours doesn,t respond very well to chemo, so we,re very lucky that it,s gone,if ya find out more please report back.
lorna xxx

I was 52 when DX low grade multifocal er pos …mastectomy and tamoxifen … i too told that it didnt respond well to chemo !with a good prognosis dx in 2007 still dont feel very "lucky " though xxxxx
maz

Hi Emily,

I was just turned 24 when diagnosed and triple positive and the majority of younger women I know have been similar… although I know another girl who was 19 when diagnosed and only HER2+ so I personally think that as far as anyone medical I have spoken to says there is no pattern, also I don’t really think there are a lot of studies for women in their 20s so it might be quite a challenge but if you do find anything please let me know, I’d be keen to look at it.

Erin x

Whereas I was 62 and triple negative so there you go…

There are patterns which are noticed by looking at large scale surveys. It is not possible anecdotally to establish what those patterns are. (80% of breast cancer occurs in the over 50s but you wouldn’t come to that concluison by reading these forums where it is commoner for younger women to post.)

Triple negative breast cancer is more likely to occur in younger women, which doesn’t of course mean that older women don’t have it, or that younger women all have it.

Triple negative breast cancer isn’t automatically more aggressive or more anything than other kinds of breast cancer. Node involvement or not is a much clearer indicator of likely recurrence than hormone status.

And I agree…being ‘lucky’ is not an appropriate term for describing any kind of cancer…not least because its discouraging to those of us who had some ‘unlucky’ feature.

Jane

Deleted my post,i’m all over the place at the moment.Best keep quiet