Kayaking / Backpacking after Reconstruction

I’ve just found out I’m going to have a mastectomy on my left breast. I’m planning to have reconstruction but don’t know what type yet. My consultant doesn’t think I can have a breast created from DIEP flap or back flap alone. So I think I’m looking at either fully implant or implant plus back flap. I’m still trying to get my head around it all, and will speak to my nurse more next week.

As a very keen (obsessional?) kayaker, plus swimmer and hiker/backpacker I’m looking for advice from any others who have had reconstruction and continued with their sport afterwards. I know there will be other things to consider before making this decision but right now I’m just dreaming of my next kayaking trip!

I’m only having a few lymph nodes taken out at this stage so I’m hoping I will avoid lymphodema - especially as I’m left handed.

Has anyone got advice or experience to share? Tips on exercise and rehabilitation for afterwards?

Thanks!

Hi Tirrick

Poor you. But as to the practical question : I had a mast and LD recon three years ago. I did not have any nodes out and so cannot comment on the lymphodaema issues except that you need to take advice. But as to the mast and recon : I had mine in early May and by July was back backpacking and cycling. In my view the excercises were vital to recovery and I also had some physio for a while. Indeed doing the exercises was so essential I cannot emphasise it more strongly. Having said that, for me all went well and recovery was fine and dandy. Now I tend to think that any lessened physical strength is more due to advancing age and being oveweight!!

Using a walking pole is probably a good thing in that it keeps the arm more upright and so doesn’t tend to swell as it does when walking with the arms dependent. This is valid even for people who have not had surgery.

You’ll get a lot of advice and support here. Good luck and keep asking.

M

i had a mast and ld reconstruction

Hi - just wanted to share my experiences. I have had bilateral mastectomies with LD flap reconstruction each time.

I was a keen swimmer at the time of my ops and a little worried about how things would be. It would be a lie to say that they weren’t a little strange - the arm movement from breast stroke did cause my boobs to do funny muscle type man movements every time I pulled back. But I got used to it and nobody noticed!

I had lots of nodes removed from one side and this has restricted movement on that side a little - so my strokes aren’t quite as fluid as before. I think the key is to make sure you get your arm moving as soon as you can after surgery and keep doing the exercises.

As for kayaking - I tried this for the first time in the Summer and was worried I may not have enough strength, but I was really surprised. I loved it, and the surgery didn’t seem to have any impact at all.

Deirdre

Hi Tirrick
Loved your keen (? obsessional) comment. I’m a Keen (?obsessional) climber and runner. I had DIEP done in March and managed to get up a climbing wall 9 weeks later. I had 22 nodes out as well. If you search for climbing in previous discussions I have posted about my dealing with the lymphodema risk but in short I’m glad to say (touch wood) so far it hasn’t been an issue. I’m a great believer that life goes on and for me my sport has played a major part in my dealing with all this. I managed to climb and run through most of my chemo (except the Tax which was yuk!). Both my PS and BS think I am a bit nuts but in a nice way. I do listen to my body though and there are still certain moves where I am restricted but I know will come back in time. When you speak to the surgeons mention your kayaking because they will be able to advise you on the best type of reconstruction for you that will have the least impact on your sporting activities. I think it’s great you are dreaming of your next Kayak tripl, I don’t see why you shouldn’t continue. It’s great to have something to look forward to. I’ve just booked a trip to Chamonix to go ice climbing!
Good luck with it all, you will get there …

Hi all, I was in hospital 2 years ago with a lady who had lymph nodes cleared, mastectomy and reconstruction at the same time. After a few weeks she was worried she might not be able to go back to the gym to use the weight training equipment, but the surgeon said it was a good idea as it would strengthen her arm.

My breast nurse told me that her mum has had BC twice. The first time was about 20 years ago and they didn’t advise women to do exercises back then. She told me her mum’s arm mobility is quite shocking, she isn’t even able to reach up to hang washing on the line. I’ve exercised my arm constantly with stretching and yoga and am glad to say I don’t have too many problems, just the odd nervy pain now and again.

Hello all of you

I am a very keen exerciser - in particular dynamic yoga - and I am having an LD flap recon with an implant over Christmas, I think I may have asked this question on another thread, but how long before I will be able to do a half moon pose (ardha chandrasana with pada hastasana), for example?

I’d absolutely love to hear from anyone who is a yogini and hear their story.

Hello everyone,
Thanks so much for your replies. All very encouraging, and I really hope I’m motivated enough to do the exercises after the op.

I’ve not been as consistent as I would have liked with the Breast Cancer Care exercises since my last op (WLE three weeks ago) but I’ve got excellent mobility, just feels a bit tight sometimes. Must keep up the stretches but I’ve slightly done my back in with my first ever pilates class!

Did you find exercises elsewhere? Like a book or leaflet?

I’m definitely talking to my surgeon about kayaking, but forgot to mention backpacks, cycling etc, so I’ll do that next week. Going to find a kayak website to post on too, as I reckon there must be female kayakers out there who’ve got implants. Will post info here if I find out anything interesting.

Would be great to hear more inspiring stories if anyone else checks out this thread. Keep them coming!

You all sound wonderful.

Good luck in chamonix eal69eal. I’ve never managed to conquer my fear of climbing despite a few attempts at beginners classes. Just seen photos of a friends trip to Yosemite in US though and it’s the first time I’ve really wished I could. Maybe another thing to add to the ‘when i’m better’ list!

And nice to hear you again Dierdre!

thanks…
tirrick