Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LCIS Anyone?

5 REPLIES 5
positivethinker

Re: LCIS Anyone?

Hi Barbara

I too have had a bit of cording but it is easing off now.  I have been lucky enough to return to my normal routine of exercise, and managed to walk the golf course three times last week, just playing about 13 holes and not using my driver.  The surgeon said gentle golf would be fine and  I think the golf swing has actually helped.  I've also religiously been massaging in Vitamin E oil on the two scars and  particularly the area round the lymph node scar and that has also made a difference. 

I'm glad you've come to a decision - I think that's one of the hardest parts of all this, plus the waiting for appointments.  But now you've made one you can move forwards and plan for being better.  I've always kept the attitude that it was a nasty lump which had to be removed and that there's a mop-up process and once that's over, its time to get on with life and enjoy it.  Your journey will take a bit longer, but you'll get there too.

More gentle hugs and keep me posted

Diane xx

babsgriff

Hi Diane

Glad to hear you have made a decision.  I am seeing consultant tonight to make my decision after asking a few more questions but have more or less made up my mind that I will go for the surgery and immediate recon then chemo.  I am healing well but think I have "cording" in my upper arm which is a bit uncomfortable but going to see a physio next Friday so hopefully that will improve.

Gentle hugs to you too.

Barbara

xx

positivethinker

Hi Barbara

Just wondering how you've got on this week.

I have made my decision to go for Option 1 which is radiotherepy, tamoxifen and careful monitoring as I don't fancy more surgery.  Also my LCIS markers are just that ... markers for something that may or may not happen in the future.  So as long as I'm watchful, if something does crop up, the team and I can be on top of it.  When asking friends/medical people - I was told I was lucky I have options.  You must remember that too.  All of this is fixable.

LCIS is different to DCIS - I think in your case getting the surgery out of the way is a good thing, and if you can have the reconstruction at the same time, even better.  Not sure which way round regarding chemo.  I think if it was me, I'd have it after the surgery but your surgeon will know your case best.  Good luck with the next steps

Gentle hugs,  Diane xx

babsgriff

Hi Diane
I had WLE and SNB on 10/9 and went back for results 18/9 expecting to be reassured all the nasty stuff was gone. However he said that there were some of the invasive cells near the margin in 1 area but several areas of DCIS in the margins. He recommended a mastectomy and talked about reconstruction. Also offered me chemo before any surgery saying it didn't matter which way round I did it. No radio needed as sentinel node clear. Lots of things to think about so we are seeing him again next week. I think I would prefer to get the surgery over with and have immediate recon rather than a 2nd op. I am trying to stay positive and remember that I'm lucky that I have these options to make sure I remain well. Still a shock when you think one thing is going to happen and then it's the opposite. Take care and let me know what you decide.
Barbara
Janet_BCC

Hi positivethinker

I've attached a link to our information on LCIS in case you haven't already seen it:

http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/breast-cancer-information/breast-awareness/benign-breast-conditio...

You might also find it helpful to talk to one of our Helpliners about this.  They will be able to offer you practical information as well as emotional support.  The opening times are 9-5 on weekdays and 10-2 on Saturdays and the number is 0808 800 6000

Very best wishes

Janet

BCC Moderator

positivethinker

LCIS Anyone?

Hi

I've just been back to the surgeon 12 days post wide local excision of tumour, biopsy and Sentinel Node biopsy.  My lymph nodes are clear - results in surgery. The historic lump was a papilloma so non-cancer, but the margin round the tumour in the lower left quadrant of my breast  shows LCIS or lobular neoplasia.  I have been given three options

1.  Have radiotherapy and Tamoxifen for 5 years, with annual screening/check-ups

2.  re-excision to take more tissue, and if clear it buys more re-assurance it's all out, and if not more   surgery  to    follow

3. total mastectomy to make sure (surgeon thinks this a bit all guns blazing approach.

Do any of you have any thoughts about how I proceed.  We have pencilled in for option 2 on 26th September and I feel this is probably the best way to go.

I was really hoping to come out of the appointment reassured it was all out, but the LCIS is an uncertainty as it's not actually cancer, but a marker for the possibility of it in the futre.

On a good note, I'm healing brilliantly, the superglue closure of the incisions is great - you can watch the improvements daily and shower 24 hours after surgery.  And the bruising has almost gone. 

Diane xx