LD Flap Recon

Hi Ladies,

I am due to have a LD Flap reconstruction in the summer, had a mastectomy back in April last year with an expander following chemo. I was hoping to have just an implant but not poss due to affect of rads on skin so opted for the LD with an implant.

Just wanted to know what the scaring is like both on the breast and back. How noticeable is it once it’s healed? Also has anyone had the scars on the back covered with a tattoo and how did it look?

Sorry for all the questions, I’ve been trying to look on google but struggling to find anything useful.

Lou xx

I don’t know how relevant my experience is to yours, but maybe it will shed some light on the recovery etc. I had a single mx with immediate LD flap recon in 2014. The scarring on my back is low down and I can wear an M&S “tummy control” swimsuit without the scars on my back showing. As to the front, the skin from my back that was used is slightly darker than the breast skin, and I opted not to have a nipple recon or tattooing, although the scars do show still. Recovery was not too long, but do persevere with the exercises as it helps, and I was back playing golf within about 3 or 4 weeks. You will be advised not to do any heavy lifting on that side for some time as it will upll on the stiches. Good luck.