LD Flap - is it worth the pain and long recovery?

Hi All,

I had right-sided mastectomy in 2013 with immediate recon with strattice implant. However, it is about 2 cup sizes bigger than my remaining natural side, too far under my arm pit and very hard. It can be uncomfortable when sleeping on that side and makes clothes choices a bit troublesome. So i asked to be referred to another hospital with plastic surgeons with a good rep, as the current one were not up for doing anything to make this better.

I am now very lucky to be in the care of a top plastic surgeon in Nottingham and he has recommended the LD flap for me as i don’t have sufficient fat in my belly (not sure how looks huge to me!). My fear is putting myself through the pain and recovery and risks when its more an aesthetic issue. He says 3 months recovery and can’t drive for 4/6 weeks. I’m a regular gym goer so I’m worried my back won’t be the same again. He lists the risk of chronic back pain in his confirmation letter, which scares me.

Has anyone had this type of recon and would you recommend it? How was recovery? Are you able to do gym classes and workouts without issues?

having seen photos of this surgeons work the end results is brilliant, particularly compared to how i look now (very uneven).

Any advice much appreciated

Thanks

Claire

Hi Bunnybear.

I had a TUG reconstruction 5 months ago so different from LD flap.  However a friend of mine has had LD flap and it was because of her why I decided to go ahead with reconstruction.  She is delighted with her reconstruction and is an avid gym goer and is able to still do body pump, pilates, spinning and can hold a plank for some time.  I don’t know what her recovery time was but in the long term she is completely back to normal strength. X

I’m currently 2 weeks post LD Flap and Expandable Implant surgery. I had mastectomy and reconstruction on my left side. I didn’t want a diep as didn’t want such a huge surgery so in my head I already had LD as my choice. When assessed by my plastic surgeon he had LD as his top choice. Not enough tissue in the right place for diep.

So far evertithing is healing well and my foob looks pretty good. I’m physically weak on that side but doing my physio so hopefully I’ll get full movement back soon. I have attempted to move my car, only on the drive as it was blocking the bins and changing gears was a big issue.

Considering that I’m only 2 weeks post op I’m doing really well. Up and about and doing normal things, slowly but I’m doing it.

Looking forward to being able to do more.

Hi!

Did you go for this option? 

If so, how did you get on?

Thanks