LD Flap reconstruction after Radiotgerapy

Hi there brave ladies ! Two Years down the line after left mastectomy /Chemo/Radio… Time for another decision - Recon…
Just wanted any views - positive/negative from those who have undergone this surgery.
Scarring on back is particular concern & obviously appearance of new boob!
How long for recovery & any limitations from removal of back tissue?
I’m a slim build with 34c size boob…
Just wondered if you would share your honest views pros & cons.
Thanks ladies :slight_smile:

Hi Susiemac

Welcome to the BCC Forum where I hope you’ll find lots of support from fellow members. 

You might find more people would see your post if you post in the "Going through treatment/ surgery " section of the forum.  I’ve attached a link in case you have problems finding it:

forum.breastcancercare.org.uk/t5/Surgery/bd-p/4445

Very best wishes

Janet

BCC Moderator

Hi Susiemac

I had a left mastectomy with LD flap and strattice mesh and an expander implant in July 2012. As I had previously had radiotherapy 5 years before the surgeon did quite a large skin graft as well. I came home after five nights in hospital with two of my three drains still in, and I had someone stay with me for two nights. Just as well, as the first night one of the drain bottles lost vacuum and we had to go back to the hospital in the middle of the night. I had seromas drained each week after the drains came out for four weeks, and bizarrely during this time fluid would leak out of the entry point of my donor site drain, so needed to wear old tops and t-shirts! It took nine weeks to heal, the donor site being the last to finally close, but I suspect I’m quite a bit older than you. Driving was quite hard, I had a manual then and it really made my arm ache, but I drive mostly in town. Anyway a year later I had the expander replaced by a permanent implant and its all settling down nicely. Finally in January this year I had a reduction and uplift on the good side,
It’s a long process, but it is possible after radiotherapy, but everything takes a bit longer. The filling of the expander implant had to be done over about 5 months to stretch the skin very slowly.
And the finished product? It looks good with clothes on, not so well matched without clothes. The recon side has no sensation (and no nipple, though I have had a tattoo which makes it look a bit better.) Tthe donor site on my back is indented, so I have to get high-backed swim suits, and I stay away from anything cut deeply under the arms. But for me it has been worth it, considering the alternative of a prosthesis. I think it’s easier if you are of smaller build, you probably won’t need an implant.
Hope all this is not too gloomy
All the best with your future treatment
Jojo

Hi Helen thanks for tip - still learning how to navigate round this website… How do I re-post to a different category?
Thks

Hi Jojo - thanks so much for your reply - my you have been through it ! My surgeon is recommending an implant straight away with LD flap - he says expander is not recommended for me… So slightly different to you and not sure if your process is better.
Did you have much scarring on your new breast?
I’m 57 years of age.
Where did you have your operation ?
Thanks so much for your feed back & good luck to you for the future.
Sue :slight_smile: