LD Flap vs Strattice Reconstruction

Hi.
I’m new to the site and this is my first post. I had mastectomy in June and have just had my last chemotherapy three days ago. Although feeling a bit ropey I can’t tell you how good it is to get through them.

Didn’t have immediate reconstruction as radiotherapy was a strong possibility,although I have since been told I don’t need it. I am now looking at reconstruction and have been give the choice of either LD flap or Strattice mesh. I have an appointment with my BCN next week to discuss the options but was wondering if any of you ladies have had to make the same choice. I know LD flap has always been the gold standard but there isn’t really a lot of information out there re strattice, so I really don’t know what to do. Recovery aside I really want to go with the one that has the most natural look long term.

Can anybody help me? Much appreciated. Cat Xxx

Hello Cat12

Welcome to the BCC forums. 

Whilst waiting for support and shared experiences from your fellow users maybe you would like to call our free helpline on 0808 800 6000 and talk to one of our staff who are there to offer support, lines are open again in the morning and open weekdays 9-5 and Sat 10-2…

Best wishes

June, moderator

Hi Cat, first big congratulations on completing chemo - so jealous of you! I’m on FEC-T and are just about to start T at the end of the month :frowning:

I had a bilateral mx in October 2013 with immediate reconstruction - strattice with an implant. The strattice works very well, soft like tissue where as the implant is harder / firmer. I’m really pleased with the results, look similar to my own breasts but much firmer of course (don’t move). With strattice you will have drains in longer to prevent infection / swelling, mine had to be 10ml for 24 hours before they were removed.

I personally didn’t want LD flap as it was a much more invasive surgery bit LD flap is supposed to give excellent results and natural look long term.

Good luck with your reconstruction

Tracy XXX

Hi Cat
I had an immediate reconstruction with strattice mesh 18 months ago now (how time flies!). I’m really pleased with it and have been lucky because size wise it is a really good match for my natural side, it’s just more perky. Have you had the chance to look at any photos of the different types of reconstruction? I did and found it really helpful. Good luck making g a decision and just let me know if you want to know more about the strattice procedure. Clare.

Thanks for the replies they’re really useful. Sounds like you’re both pleased with the strattice. Clare, good to know it still looks good 18 months on. I’ve had a look at some photos on the internet but I’ll ask my BCN if she has any that my surgeon has done. Tracy, best of luck with the rest of your treatment, you’ll be at the end of it before you know it.

Thanks again for your responses xxx

I too agonised over this decision but ultimately I didn’t want any other scars or invasion in other body areas (as the other ladies have said) .however I have spoke to a few ladies who had flap reconstruction and they were pleased with it. I had immediate recon with strattice (even with the risk of radio, which I thankfully ended up not needing). I am really pleased with the result although you have to be aware that it really doesn’t match the remaining natural boob. I had op end Nov 13, and go back to see surgeon in March to discuss levelling and matching up! I haven’t been able to wear a normal bra since surgery because the implant is so wide and doesn’t sit well, it’s ok for a few hours but gets uncomfortable. I’m expecting to have an uplift to my remaining boob and possibly a small implant so they are better matched,but I’m still glad I went for this option. Good luck, it’s really not an easy decision to make . Claire x

My husband and i had a long chat about this.  i was all for natural - ie a back or tummy, but I also like simple ie one wound for the mastectomy and the implant - less invasive as others have said.  In a real spin  - especially as I was told that implants only last 10-20 years.  My  husband wanted it all simple too - one wound in.

In the end have gone for the implant - and  am pleased.  The operation is complicated enough and emotions are all over the place.  A friend has had an LD, but did not have “enough” muscle so has had an implant too.

I think so long as the decision is yours - with the help of your consultant then you will be happier.  Nothing is as it was - that is what i am having to come to terms with

Thank you so much for all your replies it’s really good to know how others are getting on. I think I’m leaning towards the strattice as I’m going to have to have an implant anyway even with the LD. I still have a bit more time to think about it anyway (not sure if that’s a good thing or a bad thing!). Thanks again for all your replies. Take care xxx