LD Reconstruction - 2 weeks on..........is this normal??

Hi,

I am two weeks on from having the LD reconstruction after finding out I have BRCA1, have been quite surprised at how good I feel but am worried about my right side and wanted to see if anyone has experienced the same things.

After I came out of hospital the right under arm seemed to swell a lot more which seems to have made the breast look smaller than the left side (left side is perfect and healing nicely) i managed to see the surgeon last week who says everything is fine and still in place (i have implants as well) so I felt relieved and went home but as the week has gone I still feel like there is something wrong. Sometimes when I lie down to go to bed I can feel something moving on the right side, which is uncomfortable but never painful. I guess is feels like something has got stuck. It’s making me worry so much and last night I finally had a melt down.
I should mention that when they took the drain out of the right side it bled quite a lot which lead me to stay in hospital an extra night and have been told that this can caue extra swelling a few days later. I also have some funny lumpy parts under the right arm.
I am trying to be patient but it’s so hard playing the waiting game.
Wondered if anyone else had experienced the same?

Thanks
Claire

Hello Claire79
I had the same operation seven weeks ago on the left side. I have had lots of trouble with seroma and am now left with an awwful swelling on my back above the scar which the Consultant has said will settle. I would say, in your case, check with the Consultant or Breast Nurse. It’s very early days and I suppose everyone heals differently and at different rates. It’s not a small op and as my Breast Nurse says to me all the time ‘You are going to have to be patient’. Hope this helps a little bit.

xxx

Hi Soosie Soo,
Thanks for replying, it’s so hard being patient isn’t it and I am trying really hard. I think I may have some scar tissue around the right implant so am off to see the consultant tomorrow to get it checked out.
Hopefully I will feel more reassured after that!

xxx