LD flap following failed strattice .

Hi

I was diagnosed 3 years ago. I had bilateral mastectomies and strattice reconstruction. One side is great but had several problems on the other side. A few operations later I am now being offered LD flap on that side due to capsular contracture and poor cosmetic result. I am  slim and active and don’t have much muscle /fat on my back. I really don’t know what to do as part of me feels enough is enough. However I also would love to look better on that side. I am scared of opening up another area to surgery , having a long recovery time, becoming less active  and the risk of complications.  I wondered if anyone else has had this done after strattice and would really like to hear any thoughts. Thanks

Hi Beth2013,

Sorry to hear that you’re unsure about whether to have this surgery and I am sure some of our users will be along to share their experiences and show their support soon. 

In the meantime you can always use our Ask the Nurse service or call our helpline on 0808 800 6000, who will be able to talk you through any questions you have about the surgery and offer a friendly ear. The opening hours are below:

Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm
Late opening Wednesday, 9am-7pm
Saturday, 9am-1pm

Best wishes, 

Bonita