363397posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ladies who had surgery first

8 REPLIES 8

Re: Ladies who had surgery first

Hi ladies...im on a different thread at the moment,but am starting Chemo very soon,so thought id say Hi and share my experience if thats okay?Smiley Happy

I was diagnosed with grade 3 invasive triple negative about 10 weeks ago and was given option of Chemo to shrink tumor then lumpectomy,with no guarantee that it would be successful,so opted for masectomy,followed by chemo/rads...was happy with that choice and glad i did that.Luckily the op went well and my nodes were clear,so thats the path Ive taken....ive not had any scans at present,but dont know if Ill be offered that after Chemo?

I wish you ladies lots of luck and love X

Rachel

Hi daisy and Shinde
I had exactly the same as Sarah here apart from I han an MRI before surgery.All the best to you and your Mum.

Hi daisy. I had surgery first and then had CT and bone scans to make sure it hadn't spread anywhere else. As it had spread to lymph nodes I had to have full clearance and have now started 6 sessions of chemo followed by radiotherapy every day for 4 weeks. I hope you are getting through this ok xx

Hi daisy. I also had lymph nodes picked up after masectomy and they biopsied with ultra sound. When I saw my surgeon she organised a ct scan straight away which was clear - she phoned me with results so I didn't have to wait a week. I hade masectomy, 2 large tumours (8cm and 2 cm) and 26/27 lymph nodes tested positive. But I stress my ct scan was clear. So your mum is going through chemo which is aimed at mopping up and stray nasties.

Hang in there with her, she's lucky to have your support xx

Thanks for the reply and sharing your experience H. Hope you're first chemo has gone well. We don't know how many positive lymph nodes my mum has - they said a number of nodes in levels 1 and 2 were seen enlarged on MRI. They won't know until surgery - which is after chemo. This isn't going smoothly at the moment but trying to keep thinking positively.
Xx

I has mamogram after finding a large lump and referal from gp to oncologist breast clinic . On the day they saw me they did an examination and an ultra sound . The ultra sound carried out by a doctor worried the di yor so he asked my permission fir a a biopsy that they did using the ultra sound . My other breast was clear just a cyst . Went to my consultant who told me ten min later nit good news he see me in mon this was thurs evening with the test results . On mon he wanted ne ultra sounded again left and right by another doctor as it was cancer and he was concerned my lymoh nodes look inflamed . Lymph nodes were inflamed on the lump side not on the other and still felt left side was a cyst . They then used the ultra sound to do a biopsy of my lymoh nodes which tested positive fir cancer . I was told i needed lymoh node clearance and full mastectomy . I elected to have latismus Dorsi reconstruction on the same day . On having surgery they examine your tumour. And grade it . It was grade 3 and 3.7 cm . Aldo spawned three other tumours they didnt know about l 20 out of 24 nodes they removed were positive fir cancer . I got refered fir a ct scan straight away . I was lucky that the scan showed no spread of the cancer to other areas l however i gave to under co FEC-T , and hereceptin fir a year and tamoxefin as risk of it coming back is higher than average even with the treatments . So even if you a high number of positive cancer lymoh nodes you can still get a clear ct scan ,. Am so relieved just got to get on with treatment now l started first FEC on 6 th jan . Got another two cycles then start T with hereceptin . Three cycles . Then just herceptin and tamoxefin and radiotherapy x 15 blasts ie 5 days a week fir three weeks . h xx

Hi.

I had fna of lymph nodes before surgery which was positive so I knew I would have lymph node clearance during the op. My CT and bone scans were done after the fna and before surgery, and were otherwise clear. I am now having chemo.

HTH.

Emxx

Hi Daisy
I had mammograms, breast biopsy,ultrasound and then MRI scan, then a mastectomy and a node biopsy on first operation (nodes don't always show up on ultrasound or MRI scan) on so then had to go back to have lymph nodes removed and found 1 infected, I am now half way through chemo before radiotherapy. No CT scan has been done, I think different things work in fife rent areas.
Any other questions please ask
Take care and have a good day😄
Honey

Ladies who had surgery first

Just a quick question for those of you who had surgery first, only to discover it was in the lymph nodes at point of surgery and then had to have chemotherapy afterwards. Did you have a CT scan before or after discovering it was in the lymph nodes, or not at all?
Thanks

Daisy