Ladies who had surgery first

hi all

Just a quick question for those of you who had surgery first, only to discover it was in the lymph nodes at point of surgery and then had to have chemotherapy afterwards. Did you have a CT scan before or after discovering it was in the lymph nodes, or not at all?
Thanks

Daisy

Definitely didn’t have CT scan between first op and chemo. Have had a couple since then as since had some recurrences in the skin. I don’t think they are given as a matter of course, they are an expensive procedure and I think they only give you one if there could be some doubt about it spreading. Hope this is of some help. Take care

K M x

I had lumpectomy and mastectomy left side , 2 nodes involved, my oncologist wanted me to have a base line ct scan, I was terrified of results, but all looked good, cost wasn’t an issue as we are private

I had surgery first and then discovered in lymph glands. Chemo was then thrown into the mix but never offered CT scan. My mum has offered to pay for me to have one privately, but I’m undecided at the moment.

I have had SNB, Bilateral mastectomy and due chemo next week. Have not been offered any scans .

I had a CT and bone scan in the short time between diagnosis and surgery (large multi-focal mass and a palpable node so was told right from the start that surgery, chemo, rads and endocrine therapy were recommended, in that order).  So my scans were effectively after the cancer was detected in one node (on palpation), albeit before treatment commenced.  

I would have thought that anyone with node involvement (whether discovered on palpation, x-ray, ultrasound, surgery) should be offered a CT and bone scan in order to check that the cancer has not spread via the lymph nodes to other parts of the body.  Perhaps that is too simplistic a view or perhaps protocols have changed since I was treated 5 years ago.   

I had a WLE and sentinel node biopsy and the sentinel node came back positive with a macromet, I then had an axillary node clearance and came back with a further two nodes effected.  

I then had a CT (liver and chest), along with a bone scan AFTER both surgerys before seeing Onc for treatment plan.

Hope this helps.

Thanks all.
Maggie - mums 2nd chemo was due Tuesday but delayed another week as still productive cough and bloods suggested infection still present. Another week of antibiotics.
Slightly worried as oncologist said ‘a number of nodes’ were seen to have cancer at MRI, in the 1st and 2nd level of lymph nodes but no mention of the third. Not sure why they haven’t given a number - possibly not accurate enough at this stage, or possibly hard to see for sure. The fact seen in both levels makes me worry there are lots and that gives a worst prognosis.
Hope you’re doing well and on track for your first chemo.
Daisy

I’m grateful for this thread - am having bi masectomy on 12 jan but no conversation yet about possible post treatment x they will be testing nodes rtc after the surgery - it’s lobular and I am terrified I am actually riddled with cancer that they haven’t seen as each step has been " we found more" using different tests x it’s good to know about ct scans etc so I can prepare in case this is also recommended - I’ve been pretty naive up until now x