Ladies with large mass and lymph node involvement at fiagnosis

Hi

Wanted to ask a few questions as I know treatment plans vary according to stage etc at diagnosis.
My mum had FNA of lymph node at the same time as core biopsy as they obviously noticed it was abnormal. She was diagnosed with grade 3 invasive ductal cancer. We have no idea how long lump has been there as sadly it possibly began under a lump that she had been told was nothing to worry about (following ultrasound) 21 months earlier. It was rather large at time of biopsy though and the consultant when asked, said the size wasn’t relevant because it was already in the lymph node so treatment plan based on that.

What I am wondering is following a CT scan and MRI of breast and lymph nodes she is to begin with chemo first. Half way through they will repeat the MRI to see how it responding. I am now wondering what happens next. They say they’ll have the MDT meetings to discuss but what happened to you ladies. They suggested it will be surgery after the chemo but will this be full auxillary node clearance too? I know (unless lumpectomy shows different receptor results to biopsy) that she won’t have hormone treatment as she was only weak ER+. We see the oncologist on Monday so will go over the plan with them but was interested what others have been through or been told.

Thanks

Daisy

Hi Daisy,

I really don’t have much advice for you, but have been reading your threads as you try to get answers for your mum. I just wanted to say that your mum must be very proud to have such a caring daughter. Whatever lies ahead for her, she is incredibly lucky to have you by her side.

The advice I can give is that the half way scan will let you know how well your mum is reacting to her chemo. It gives the doctors the chance to change the type of chemo if needed. One thing to remember is that all the literature seems to indicate that high grade cancers normally respond well to treatments, so hopefully this will be the case for your mum. If the cancer is present in her nodes, she will most definitely have a full node clearance. This is standard practice for all ladies who have node involvement, whether they have micro mets present or a palpable lump.

I’m sorry I cannot add any more, but I do wish your mum all the best in her future treatment and please remember to take care of yourself too. Ann x x x x

Hi Ann

Thankyou for your kind words. I so want to be there for my mum and need to find out as much as possible.

Thanks for your answers, that makes sense. Was curious if it always happened that way for ladies in similar diagnosis situation. The lymph node wasn’t palpable but the US must’ve shown it to be abnormal as they did FNA which did show the cancer to be present there.

I think I was also wondering if the chemo first was purely down to the fact it’s in the lymph node or was due to the size - which he didn’t tell us but we know is big. Wondering any any positve lymph node at diagnosis had surgery first.

Thanks again - your help and words really do make a difference.

Daisy

Hi Daisy, this must be very difficult for you and your mum. Glad you’re supporting her. I’m 47 and was diagnosed in September. I had a routine mammogram and was called back for biopsies in breast and armpit. They said I had cancer in one lump in the breast looking at about 5cm plus lymph nodes. Other 1cm lump looked benign. Ct scan was clear.

My surgeon went fir mastectomy and node clearance followed by chemo, radio and hormone treatment. Don’t know if it’s an age or size thing? She said chemo first was a possibility but she preferred to operate first.

Turns out the 5cm tumour was actually 8x7cm and the benign looking one actually positive and 2cm! Also 26/27 nodes affected!!! So surgery was the right way to go for me.

The surgeons and oncologists all meet up weekly to discuss their cases and work out the best treatments. Your mums scans and check ups will tell how’s she’s responding to chemo and they can always adjust treatment as they go along.

Have you had your meeting now? What have the decided?

All the best to you and your mum. The support is out there for you as much as her.

Dawn x

Hi Dawn

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis. Pleased to read you’re well on your way with your treatment.
My mum is 63 (I’m 39). We had a meeting with the oncologist the day after I started this thread. They confirmed the treatment plan - chemo first, but I forgot to ask about the auxillary clearance as I had a hundred other questions. My mums lymph node had actually become (or always was?) palpable but the oncologist reassured me that this did not mean it was more significant than a non palpable infected lymph node. We were also told that the oestrogen was 5/8 and therefore moderate ER+ which I was pleased about. She has had CT scan last Friday, Mri on breast yesterday and has markers in place. Pre assessment is Saturday and she was told that the ct scan results may be ready then but I can’t see us getting results as I don’t believe a Consultant is present. Her chemo begins next Monday.

Thank you for responding. What is your plan now? Have you begun the chemo?

Daisy

Hi daisy, had my first chemo on Halloween, second was due last week but delayed because of infection so should be this Friday if surgeon is happy with my wound. Hair loss has started. Get my wig on Friday if I’m fit after chemo. I’m using the cold cap but still thining on top. Roll on April when treatment should be finished!
X

Thanks Dawn and Hawkie.

I did assume she would be having full node clearance. We didn’t get ct scan results on Saturday but nurse said she’d chase them up for tomorrow. I’m feeling stressed about it.

I guess not planning too far ahead makes sense as things can change at any point. They have mentioned surgery and lumpectomy of they shrink it with chemo.

How is the wig Dawn? Taking my mum to hopefully get one on Tuesday.

Daisy
Xx

Hi daisy, the wig is lovely. My friend came with me for the final fitting, she’d come along at an earlier selection too. Amazed I changed my mind on style and colour! Nothing radical but we’d been trying to copy my hair style but it didn’t look right, chose a fringe to hide eyebrows when the go and a lighter shade as my skin tone seems to have paled with the chemo / winter. Anyway it’s fab, went shopping in it afterwards and felt great, my kids loved it and when my friends daughter wondered why they were talking about my hair because I just look like Dawn!

Daisy, I’m worried about you. What support have you got? Are you getting enough hugs and me time? You seem to be shouldering thus yourself. Have you thought about yoga or treating yourself to a massage or something to give yourself a break? You can’t support your mum if you’re worn down.

Xxxx

Pleased you found the wig for you dawn. taking my mum tomorrow.
First chemo went ok and managed to get on call registrar to give us the CT scan results. He was reluctant as he said it wasn’t the right setting and it was a nurse led clinic but eventually he checked and said they were clear. Such a relief but I need to hear it from and discuss with her oncology consultant before it really sinks in.
Thanks for concerns dawn. I do have good support from friends and partner but it’s not the same as being able to share and find out information on here. I’m less stressed now we have the CT results.
Xx

Just seen this reply soda stream. Thanks for sharing. My mum is in hospital following her first chemo with neutropenic sepsis but seems to be improving. Xx

Thanks soda stream. Did they lower your dose or change anything that helped you avoid it on the following cycles? My mum has COPD which usually doesn’t cause her any problems other than any infection goes straight to her chest - clearly what happened this time. Xx

Thanks - will see what oncologist suggests then. Hopefully that as mum doesn’t want to have to reduce dose if possible.