Lake District treatment

After my active treatment has finished I am intending to move to the Lake District (South: near Hawkshead), a long planned move.

But I wondered if I do whether anyone knows where I would be followed up? Does Kendal have an Oncology unit?

Hi,

Yes, it does although it’s not huge. There are also departments at Lancaster and Barrow. Chemo can be given a couple of days a week at Kendal now I gather and some of the nurses from Lancaster go to do it at the mo. I’m in Morecambe and get treated in Lancaster and the nurses are lovely.

As far as other treatment goes, the surgeons and oncologists also go to Kendal and Barrow. Rads are still done in Preston but most surgery is done in Kendal. I’m having a second mx soon to try to balance me up, having had my first mx 4 yrs ago in Kendal, and it will be same place again.

Any other questions, just shout! Good luck with the move and everything.

Liz

Thank you.

It is really helpful to know and one less thing to worry about.

Lynda

Hi, Carlisle also have an oncology unit and do chemo and rads. Good luck with your move up here to Sunny Cumbria xx

Sunny??? I think we must be talking about a different Cumbria!

But beautiful yes.

Cant answer your question im afraid but i think others will have already put your mind at rest. Just wanted to say good luck with yojr move. We went to the lakes during my chemo and guess what…it was SUNNY :-). xx

Hi Lakeslover
Just to say that I had all my treatment (Mastectomy,Chemo and Rads) at Carlisle and I cannot recommend the doctors and nursing staff too highly - they were wonderful
Best wishes
Janet

I’m in south lakes (Ambleside) and had all my treatment via the breast unit at Lancaster - SUPERB!!! Surgery was at Kendal, radio was at Preston, but there is a big public campaign to have a radio unit in Kendal for our area, so fingers crossed.
The breast nurses at Lancaster are great for queries and chats - they ALWAYS call back promptly, and will give you appts for longer chats if you need it. They also see folk at Barrow for the coastal region.
There is also CancerCare, a voluntary organisation with centres in Lancaster and Kendal. I used them for one-to-one counselling when I got a bit freaked out in the early days after diagnosis, and you can get a referral via your GP. They can provide emotional, not medical, support.
Every best wish with your move - Hawkshead has a great community and I’m sure you will find lots of social support.