Large lump

Well where do I begin, Last Thursday I was in the kitchen and just happened to brush the top of my right breast with my hand and felt something strange, then felt it properly and it was quite a large hard lump never noticed it before went to the gp in the morning before I went to work, she examined me said yes there is a lump feels like a cyst as it’s smooth but I will refer you to the Breast clinic for an ultrasound just to be sure (the gp actually works at the Breast clinic one day a week according to my mum) now panic has set in what if its not a cyst all these what if’s… The fact that I’m a  39 year old single parent daughter is 16 just starting a-levels and my son is 9 and you can imagine what is going through my mind, keep telling my self not to worry but easier said than done… 

Hi Melanie9704

Welcome to the BCC discussion forums where I am sure you will get lots of good, honest support from the many informed users of this site.  While you are waiting for replies I have put for you below the link to BCC’s publication ‘Your breast clinic appointment’ which explains what to expect when you have your hospital appointment.  I hope you find it helpful.  Also our helpline team are on hand if you need to talk to someone in confidence, calls are free, 0808 800 6000 lines open weekdays 9-5 and Sat 10-2.

www2.breastcancercare.org.uk/publications/worried-about-breast-cancer/referral-breast-clinic-bcc70

Take care,

Jo, Moderator

Hi Melanie

I’m so sorry to hear you are in this position. The ‘waiting room’ is the worst place to be as you are left in limbo.  And yes, ‘not worrying’ is easier said than done. While you are waiting, please don’t Google as you will frighten yourself to death.  Hopefully, it will be a cyst, or one of the other non cancerous (benign) breast conditions. If not, you have come to the best place. 

Everyone on here has been in the same place, many with young children. Some have had better news than expected. For those of us who found we had breast cancer, the diagnosis was a relief, especially when a treatment plan had been put in place. You will get all the help and advice about the various treatments on these forums. 

I hope you don’t have too long to wait for your appointment at the breast clinic, and that the results are good. So I’m sending you hugs and best wishes until you hear more.

poemsgalore xx