Later side effects

Hi All
Scary week! Lumpectomy and 4 lymph nodes removed in July, finished radio 8 weeks ago, recovered from the swollen boob and burns (it was like carrying a red pumpkin on my chest!), mid Nov felt boob had recovered and then this week pain and more swelling!! I am told it’s probably side effects from radio and having read around it looks like for some people, particularly those with larger boobs, can experience this for months/years. Hey ho! That and the Tamoxifen side effects make life difficult, but its amazing what you get used to and what becomes ‘normal’! My husband has prostate cancer – he’s had the op, hormone treatment and radio but he’s still got cancer. What a pair we are!
Cheers I will raise my glass of blueberry juice to you all!

hi Scotanne - was imagining your red pumpkin :slight_smile: ! Am sure radio. does have lasting side effects for a number of years, not sure if it’s just for larger breasts either ! I had my very overdue post-rads check yesterday (finished rads in July) and my surgeon said that the hard bits were oedema and that can last for a few years (not lymphoedema -which would be worse !) It aches a bit from time to time,again I think just a result of surgery/rads and probably tiredness. I started tamox. in September and so far so good, a bit hot now and again but not as bad as I’d imagined.
Am sorry about your husband - my dad had prostate cancer - no op. just rads for him and he is fine now, but I do remember being very worried for him - he was very breezy about it all and told me that rads were a doddle so I wasn’t too worried about them when it was my turn. Try not to worry about your breast -do you have a nice bcn to talk to if you feel anxious - they are so kind I’ve found and don’t seem to mind being asked for advice. Take care xxchipperxx

Hi
Thanks Chipper. Yes, the BCN support has been excellent and if I am worried 7 days on I will make contact again. I just thought I had finished with it all, been there done that, got the T shirt and everything seemed ‘normal’ not too much time off work, getting energy back, although in bed early every night, so it was a bit of a shock to discover I had more to be going on with!
Husband had results of PSA test this week and way hay! it’s levelled out this time so much relief all round.
I started my Tamox before the rads and it will certainly save on the heating bills. Husband feels the heat after his hormone therapy so our poor dog will be looking for an extra blanket to keep warm as the central heating is turned down!
Cheers