72.7K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Latest scan shows progression to liver......

19 REPLIES 19
Amalfi

Re: Latest scan shows progression to liver......

Meant to say gillg, the lady was on docitaxol too.
Amalfi

Gillg, i was on paclitaxol first and didn't respond but I responded well to letrozole. I met a woman while getting Chemo who like you had bone, lung and liver mets from the get go. Half way through Chemo everything had disappeared except for small lesions in her liver. You can get good responses to secondaries. You will find loads of evidence of this on other threads. Hope you get a good response, but remember the are loads of other drugs to try.
EJ81

Hi Smartie,

Sorry to read of your progression to liver. I have liver Mets too. Was totally unaware of then until they popped up on a routine scan following my primary dx so they haven't given me any ill effects. Keep being told the liver is a tough organ and can still function very well even with mets. I hope all goes well tomorrow and that the treatment blasts the little whatsits asap. xxx

Gillg78

My liver mets terrify me also. I was dx in sept with double whammy of prim and SBC at the same time. Liver and lung with multiple bone mets. I had rads to my spine after concerns over spinal cord compression and have had surgery on my broken shoulder. I have also just finished my first chemo docetaxel and nervously await scans at the beginning of feb. My onc have advised with no progression I will move onto tamoxifen. I know woman get a good response from primary but I have not found many secondary ladies who have had a good response. Anyway. Just wanted to say head up and I am thinking of you. X
Desi-2

I'm so sorry to read of your concerns Amalfi I so hope the mri shows nothing of concern. It's hard for all of us with children but more so when they depend you more so through their own health problems. Not that it will really make you feel any better at his time but there are as you may be aware ladies with liver mets for some time and responding well to treatment. Hope you won't have to wait to long for the mri. Xxxx
Amalfi

I was diagnosed in Feb2014 with lung and pleural mets. Started paclitaxol in May, after 7 weeks it wasn't really working and went on letrozole. Been on this for six months and lungs are continuing to improve but my last scan showed a suspicious mark on my liver
I am waiting on a mri to investigate further. If this is further mets I am disappointed that letrozole only worked for six months although the onc said he may leave me on letrozole for my lungs and monitor the liver as sometimes liver mets can remain stable for some time after appearing. My head is all over the place. My son is 14 and suffers from muscular dystrophy. I may have to wait 3 weeks for scan and further week for result. I have taken a diazapam this morning as the anxiety is making me ill.
nicky08
Community Champion

Hi Smartie, sorry to hear about progression to your liver. I had this two years ago after nearly five years of 'just' bone mets and it was a shock but I have regrouped as has been already said on here. I requested a liver biopsy at the time and found out my receptor status had changed from HER-to HER+ which makes a difference to the treatments I was offered. It may be worth asking for one as they are not routinely offered and would be your decision to make. I also had a port fitted and have found it so much easier than hunt the vein for recent chemo, and ongoing Herceptin and Perjeta. I hope the Hickman line helps you and makes the whole chemo side of things much easier.
Good luck with your treatment.
Nicky x

Smartie

Thanks for your support, Mowser, Belinda and CW17 it means a lot.
Lemon Drizzle it is Good to hear you got on well with the Hickman Line, I am quite nervous about the whole thing but hopefully I will have some sedation to take my mind off it and I am glad showering isn't a problem as long as it's kept dry as I don't have a bath!
I went for a blood test today prior to Tuesday's insertion and saw a nurse who I hadn't seen for ages as she had semi-retired, I burst into tears when I told her about the spread-why is it so difficult to tell other people about it, perhaps it's as it makes it all a reality?
Best wishes to all & again thanks for all your kind words.
Smartie x

stresshead

Smartie, so sorry to hear your news..just wanted to echo what everyone else has said...huge hugs.xx

Mowser

Hi Smartie,

I am so sorry to hear your news-it is a big shock isn't it-I was on Capecitebine for 9 cycles for liver and bone mets, and had been doing well, before my liver went on the march again in November-despite Tumour markers looking even better than the previous read-a false positive picture. I am now on a  new treatment  and am waiting to hear if it is working-if not we go again with another one. Scans cant be repeated until march so a long, anxious wait. 

This journey is so, so hard on us, emotionally, psychologically as well as physically, and it tests us to find strength we never knew we had.

This is nothing more than a blip. They are monitoring you closely, they have found it in good time, and the drug that you are getting does really well for liver mets I have heard.

You will recover, and regroup and start again in your new normal life, where you feel better, get your appetite back, and can carry on doing all the fun things in your life that you love with the people and family that you love.  

Lots of love and hugs to you

Mowser xxxx

LemonDrizzle

Sorry to hear about the progression Smartie. Glad you're being given Eribulin while it's still available as its meant to be effective although I've not had it. I was dreading losing my hair with chemo but life was so much easier without it in a way! Winter hats will keep you nice and warm and no one will know you're losing your hair, if you do that is. About a Hickman line - I was the patient from hell! I had many appointments to just talk about having one before treatment started because I was so scared. The poor doctors and nurses were so nice, bless them. On the day of the procedure I was terrified and literally shaking, but the head doctor took pity on me and did it himself. As I don't have veins that can be accessed easily he used ultra sound to find one for the cannula and then I was sedated. They did have to give me a top up, but after that it was a walk in the park. It took a while to get used to it, especially the neck when sleeping but it really is ok. I have to shower with special stuff to stop infection, but the hospital gives me it or I get it on prescription. It needs weekly flushing which could potentially be a drawback but it honestly doesn't bother me. It makes treatment so much easier especially when I see the nurses having difficulty finding veins and trying many times on other patients. Unfortunately, it can't be used when I have a ct scan and I still have to have a cannula, but as my veins are so poor I go to the oncology nurses to have it put in. As this is now only going to happen every three months I can cope with it.
I know I've waffled on a bit, but hope it helps.
LD x
belinda

So sorry to read your news Smartie. Give yourself time to adjust, you will carry on, just as before but it's such a shock when these things happen, even when you think you feel prepared for some news. I haven't had Eribulin but I have read some great things about it. Good luck, hope it works REALLY well for you. X
2catlady

Smartie,we all have our fingers crossed for you on Tuesday. Hope everything goes okay for you and not the C. We are all here holding your hand,huge hugs to a lovely lady,Helen xxxxxx
Smartie

Thanks everyone for all your good wishes & information, it so helps to have the support of people who can readily identify with how I am feeling.
I am glad that it was quite doable for you Mrs Blue, knowing my luck the hair will be gone again for the 3rd time, still my husband will be happy with no hairdressers bills!
Have just heard from the hospital and my Hickman line is going in on Tuesday so fingers crossed all goes well with that. I have to say I won't be sorry to see the back of multiple needle entries when my veins had an off day.
Mrs Blue - I hope that Cape is still working for you and the tumour markers rise is just a blip, my onc doesn't use them for me for monitoring, preferring a scan.
Love to all
Smartie x

Lucy_BCC

Hi Smartie, I am sorry to read your news. Along with the support you have here don't forget that our helpliners are here for you 9-5 weekdays and 10-2 Saturdays on 0808 800 6000

Take care
Lucy BCC

Desi-2

So sorry to read of the progression Smartie. There are ladies on FB that have really good results with Eribulin and not too many side effects. It's great that that your getting on it in time before its cut from the drugs fund too. I had hoped this may be an option for me at some point but I believe it's one that is being cut. You'll be okay as long as your starting in time. Good luck! Xxx
2catlady

Oh smartie,I'm soooo sorry. Huge hugs. It so hard hitting when a chemo comes to the end of working. This one will kick butt xxxxxx we are all here for you,massive hugs xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Tinkerbelle

Oh Smartie - I'm so sorry that you have had progression to your liver.  It is such a shock even if you were expecting it and it is natural to worry about what it might mean.

I'm afraid I can't add any useful experience about Eribulin but hope it keeps the little uggers under control for you.

I'm sure some liver mets ladies will be along with wise advice, but until then (((Smartie))). 

Am thinking of you.

Tink x

mrsblue

Hi Smartie, so sorry to hear your news of progression to liver.

I have bone and liver mets, I'm on capecitabine though probably not for much longer as tumour markers/liver function are on the up 😞

Capecitabine is a relatively mild chemo so maybe you would need a stronger option.  I had eribulin in 2013.  It was relatively doable, no problems with nausea etc.  Unfortunately I lost all my hair - some people keep their hair, others have thinning.  Eribulin is kind to nails so if you had nail problems with cape they will recover.  I also had fatigue with eribulin, but recovered after I stopped (I had 7 cycles - it can be given "indefinitely" if working).

Hope this helps... x

Smartie

Latest scan shows progression to liver......

Hi all, had results of latest CT scan yesterday which, after 14 cycles of Capecitabine, shows progression to my liver. Numerous spots the largest being 3cm (which seems massive!). Up until now it has just been bone (diagnosed 2006) and lymph node mets (diagnosed 2012)
Have to say that I half expected bad news as I haven't been feeling myself lately and have lost my appetite and some weight but it's still such a shock, I can't help feeling that it's progressing at a fast rate now (last scan was just 3 months ago which showed no liver involvement) and am worried about a big deterioration.

I am to start Eribulin in a couple of weeks time (only just finished my last cycle of Cape so need to give my bloods a little time to recover) - can anyone give me any idea what it will be like? And how effective it's been for you? I have had 2 IV chemos in the last 3 years FEC which gave me 12 months before progression and Abraxane which only gave me 3 months, have to admit that I really struggled with Abraxane and am dreading going back to IV. I used to complain about taking all those peachy pills....if only!
My nurse doesn't think my veins will hold out for another round of chemo with all the associated blood tests too so is recommending a Hickman Line, again any tips or advice would be gratefully received.
Trying desperately to stay positive but keep bursting into tears every time I think about it - thank god for waterproof mascara!
Smartie x