Lattissimus Dorsi

Has any of you ladies had a lattissimus Dorsi muscle used for breast reconstruction and then later had the muscle taken away? I’m due to have mine removed because I’ve been in a lot of pain ever since I had this op 5 1/2 years ago. My surgeon suggested taking it away this week and would like to hear from any ladies, who may have gone through the same , to see if it helped them or if it made matters worse. Thank you x

Hi Cathlee

You may find more response in our Moving Forward after breast cancer area of the Forum where others may have some experiences to share with you.

Best wishes
Anna
Digital Community Officer

This operation can cause a lot of scarring. I had mine June 2016. Have been in a lot of pain since. Just started going to a chiropracter who is doing myofacial scar release and I think it is working. 

The scar massage itself is a little painful, and it stays inflamed for a few days after, but I think things are loosening up and life is becoming bearable again! I am seeing her twice a week.

I had the thorcodorsal nerve cut, but I think it has regenerated–which aparently it can do–because the breast is hyperanimating again. I am going to speak to a surgeon about cutting it again.

I have been taking gabapentin since the surgery and that helps a lot, but you have to take it consistently and I am not used to popping so many pills. There is a new version of it called Gralise, a time relseased version which I plan to try. Also possibly Cymbalta, which can be used as a nerve blocker.

I would do a lot of other things before I would have this operation reversed. There could be a lot of complications from the reversal itself. I have looked up having it reversed and all the recon docs say it is not even possible.

Keep me posted on how you are getting on.

Thank you for replying x I am waiting for my nurse to get back to me with more info on this. I hope your pain eases for you. I will keep you posted on what I decide to do. Thank you again !