Leaning towards alternative therapy? Read this first

If the words diet and cancer cure are typed into the browser, a huge amount of links will appear giving information on numerous diets and lifestyle ideas. Recently, I have met people who have actually been swayed by these ideas and intend to abandon conventional medicine in favour of the alternative variety (particularly diets and lifestyle). Obviously, it’s their choice, but I do worry that people might embark on these things without all the evidence, so I’m posting a link below to an article that considers the scientific evidence for many of these alternative ideas. I’m not claiming it’s 100% right, but it’s worth looking at.

quackwatch.com/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/cancer.html

^

thanks Lemongrove yes it can be a worry when someone refuses conventional medcines for diet & lifestyle along. Shame this report doesn’t have any testomonies from those they are claiming have been ‘frauded’ ? that would help it stand so to speak.

They do mention a therapy in there which im not going to name but I know of a cancer patient who chose this instead of chemo in 2004 & is doing fine so im quite open minded about that ONE ! Yet it claims it to be fake ? Yet this person I know didn’t loose her cancer by chance OR did she ?
but I totally agree with you on the diet & lifestyle I think those things help after treatments to get us back in tip top health & just generally keep us as well as possible & aid recovery from treatments.

deleted

Oh dear, yet another thread to burn witches at the stake, who dare to step out of the ‘scientific box’’

Yep Leadie - agree - it is so challenging to unpick what is valid and what is not. eg. Dr Burzynski’s been hounded by the Americn Cancer Society for his treatmente but they are now in clinical trials as I understand it for antineoplaston therapy…

deleted

Frances, the article I provided a link to, also provides another link to details of the battle that has been going on between Burzynski and the scientific establishment in the US, and the reasons for criticism (see ref 10). It makes interesting reading, because while criticising alternative medicine, it also illuminates the huge amount of politics behind orthodox medicine - so nothing is value free.

Yep - all so confusing - not easy for those of us in the middle of the debates - but I do feel I need to be as well informed as I can be and thank those of you who continue to help us to do this through these threads. I’ve always managed my health with a blending of conventional and complementary but still find “alternative” feels like a step further and the controversy does seem to rage in the USA more than over here although I do find Chris Woollams Canceractive site informative …