68.5K members
1.2M posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Letrazol and sore breasts (primary &bone mets )

11 REPLIES 11
Lynnq

Re: Letrazol and sore breasts (primary &bone mets )

Hi desi 2. I have been on letrozole for over a year now and it is working well. No further progression in the bones.
I do get achey, but it is tolerable for me.

I do remember the first couple of weeks when i started on it having all sorts of effects. I spoke to the BCN and she asked me to give it a few weeks to 'settle'
Haxted

Hallo Desi-2 - No - my inability to tolerate Letrozole was after weeks of being on it and struggling with very bad joint pain. If you've only been on it a short time perhaps it's just your body becoming accustomed to the changes? Hope it settles down for you and works as planned - what's okay for one of us isn't always okay for another!  

2catlady

Hi,Belinda,yes,that's what my breasts feel like. But for some strange reason my periods stopped 5 month ago on tamoxifen. I kept mentioning it to the BCN and she asked for a hormone something or other test to see if I was starting the menopause (I had one 5months ago and I wasn't hence the tamoxifen) but apparently I'm now peri menopausal . She did say stress can send you into early menopause!
So,yes it's my first injection and it could be my body getting ready for one last period.
Thank you for your advice. Take care and huge hug,Helen xxxx
belinda

Hi, I'm another diagnosed with breast cancer and bone mets together ten years ago. I haven't been offered a mast and I've never wanted one. But just my choice, we all feel different and anyone who wants to have a mast I hope you are able to. Years ago it wasn't usually considered with a secondary patient but times have changed. My primary is still very small. Have you only just started Zolodex injections Helen? I had one period 2 weeks after my first injection, so you may be about to have one too. I used to get very painful breasts just before my periods. It's quite normal for this to happen, so don't worry if it's the cause of your tenderness. After the one I never had another period while I was having injections to stop them.

I hope the combo works very well for you..x

Desi-2

Hi
Hope you don't mind my asking but saw your comment about not being able to tolerate letrozole. I have just been changed to that from tamoxifen due to persistent nausea but found that 2days after starting letrozole I couldn't sleep, felt very disorientated couldn't walk in a straight line! Does this sound familiar?
Lynnq

My secondaries were discovered after my first mastectomy....four weeks after Dx. They also discovered another primary cancer in my other breast.

I was put on Letrozole .. That was just over a year ago and it is working for me...no further progression and some resolution.
I had my other breast removed about eight months ago. The surgeon was reluctant - he said that it was futile since the cancer had already spread. However the Onc was supportive, especially he said since the Letrozole was having a good effect on my tumour markers..

I did have some pain in my other breast before they removed it......but not too bad....i told myself it was the letrozole bashing the cancer!!!
2catlady

Hi, lovely ladies,thank you for the advice,I'm hoping the soreness is it working. I'm pinning my hopes on this after tamoxifen didn't work,feel as if I'm back to square one again.
I'll have a word with onc again after the new year when I next see him about mastectomy .
Thank you all and take care,huge hugs to you all,Helen xxxx
Porkie

On the question about mastectomy I too had one when I was diagnosed with primary, which was followed a week later with a bone mets diagnosis. Had I known about the secondaries I may not have opted for the surgery as I now have lymphodeama in my arm where all nodes taken and some discomfort from the reconstructed breast. However on he plus side the tumour is no longer there so I think it should be personal choice. Jackie x

Haxted

Hi..... Cant really comment on your specific question about Letrozole as it was the only treatment I had which I really couldn't tolerate and had to switch (to Aromasin). But in answer to your second question: I was diagnosed with primary and secondaries ("extensive" bone mets) at the same time in 2009 and did have a mastectomy. At the time, the choice was left to me ...

mrsblue

Hi Helen, just saw your post.

Letrozole is a very good treatment, it was my first treatment after being dx with bc and bone mets in 2006 (yes, more than 7 years ago).  I have had quite a few different treatments since then including several courses of chemotherapy but... at the moment the disease it stable and I'm back on letrozole again!  Hoping you have a good response to your treatment. 

Also I wanted to mention that I still have my primary breast tumour, it's not caused any problems except the odd ache from time to time.  I've been told that if I needed breast surgery I would be offered it.

ponsmuir

Hi Helen
I am sorry you have had this double whammy of a diagnosis but very glad you are being looked after now and that treatment has started.
I have now been on Letrozole for 11 months now (primary diagnosed in 1994) and have had a great response with it. Yes, I have plenty of aches and pains, and my breast where the original tumour was and another one has popped up is also sore. I gave up wearing a bra a year ago. I get scanned every 3 months now as my Onc is monitoring the effectiveness of the Letrozole.
I asked about a mastectomy but was told that I have other places affected. Well, I know I have extensive bone mets which are stable for now. I accept that.
I have monthly Zometa. I think the Denosumab is more expensive but see that plenty of others are getting it. It's done a great job too and hopefully you will feel the benefit before long.
xx Susan
2catlady

Letrazol and sore breasts (primary &bone mets )

Hi, lovely ladies,can any one help with my two questions? I started letrazol just over a week ago and zolodex injections two weeks ago. As I was diagnosed with primary and bone mets at same time I have my breasts.
After about five days my breast with the cancer is so sore and the other one is tender. I've had to keep my bra off. I was wondering if anybody else has experienced this.
Also has anyone had a masectomy with secondarys ?i did ask my onc and he said "we"don't. But I've been googling and a lot of countries do offer them,all which seem to have a better long term prognosis than the UK?
Hope all the lovely ladies on here are all okay ,huge hugs to you all,Helen xxx