Letrozole No problems

Hi
I am just about to be moved from tamoxifen to letrozole I have been taking tamoxifen for three years with out any side effects a part for slightly thinking of my uterus this has now gone back to normal with a three month break from tamoxifen. I would like to hear from people who are taking letrozole with out any problems I know most people comment on here who have problems but I think it would be good to hear some positive experiences while on letrozole. Also does anyone take any supplements whilst taking letrozole.i have heard that vitamin D is good for the bones?

Thanks

I think Letrozole is the same as Anastrozole, if that is the case then I am taking the latter with very few side-effects which I can confidently attribute to it. I do have a few arthritic aches and pains but I had them before I started taking the tablet; ditto thinning hair and failing memory. I am nearly 70 and have been taking anastrozole for 12 months straight after a lumpectomy and 15 days of radio-therapy.

Hi, just wanted to let you know that I have been taking letrozole (and Zoladex as not quite post-menopausal) for the past month and have had no side-effects other than a bit of nausea initially. I was very concerned before taking it after reading of others experiences and then also worried that it wasn’t working as I had no side effects! However today I have had results of repeat biopsy and there has been a really good response (measure of cell division dropped from 36% to 6%). I will continue to take it for another few months then have surgery. I haven’t been advised to take any supplements but trying to have a healthy diet, bone scan will be arranged soon. I hope this reassures you.

Hi Im taking Latrozole and feeling sick headaches and horrid…I havnt been given any calcium tablets yet I start my radio therapy today for 3wks…but Im thinking if getting some vitamin D for my bones and Ive also started having lots of natural yogart with fresh fruit Im trying to make sure Im getting my calcium this way as I dont really have much milk hope this helps your so lucky not having any SE from Latrozole but Im gonna carry on taking them and see if the sickness fizzles out . Xx

Hi Susie.  I have been on Anastrozole for 8 weeks, which I believe is the same. About 3 weeks ago, my hair started to thin but this has settled down now. I was feeling nausea at first, however after trying a couple of things found that if I waited for an hour after eating breakfast and then taking it, I am fine.  Hope this helps.

I read that many women are having SEs with Letrozole, but that is not the case for everyone.  I am 58 and was diagnosed 28/3/15 with breast cancer, stopped my HRT straight away and put on Letrozole 28/4/15 while I wait for my surgery on 4/6/15.  Despite a return of menopausal symptoms which started about 3 weeks after stopping the HRT, I have been just fine on the Letrozole.  Sometimes I think my legs are aching but it really isn’t bad at all

Oh yes I forgot - I am taking calcium and vitamin supplements, but have been taking these for 20 years anyway.

Hi has anyone had problems with water works keep going to the loo all the time im wondering havr I got water infection or is it the Letrozole tabs ??

Hi Judi
ive deffo got a water infection had it tested today and ive got antibiotics for 3days so should clear by then …but I do think ive been going to the loo more often since been on Letrozole…x

christine x

Hi Tweeks
I’m on Anastrazole, same as Letrazole in action. It stops your body producing any oestrogen at all which makes your nether regions dry out! Thus, you do become a bit more susceptible to urine infections. Oh joy! Make sure you drink plenty and be gentle when you use toilet paper down there! Tamoxifen acts differently on your body. It doesn’t stop oestrogen production altogether but blocks the receptors in your breast from taking this up. Thus they normally prescribe Tamoxifen to pre menopausal and Anastrazole to post menopausal women. You should be having DEXA bone scans at intervals if you are on Letrazole, to check your bone density, as oestrogen plays an important part in maintaining this. If it’s low they will prescribe some calcium tabs for you to take with it. Sorry if I’ve banged on about things you already know. I didn’t know any of this until I did some research. The good news is that apparently a recent trial showed that Anastrazole/Letrazole is highly effective in preventing a recurrence of ER+ BC. There is some advice now that women on Tamoxifen should switch to these after 3 yrs but not sure if all oncs are in agreement on this. X Francine