Libido & Tamoxifen

I started taking Tamoxifen in January this year.

I’m experiencing several side effects from the Tam and I wondered whether anyone has any tips for helping to overcome them? The one that bothers me most is the loss of libido. It’s like my sexuality has been completely switched off - I feel like I’ve been desexed. I can still participate, obviously, but I never get any desire to initiate, and I don’t experience anything like the same sensations.It’s not a psychological problem with the changes to my body, it’s a purely chemical negation of any desire.

So if anyone has any tips on how to switch me back on, I’d really appreciate any advice. :smileyfrustrated:

Hi Jaybee, I have been on Letrozole for about 3 months and I am having exactly the same problems, as well as the aches and pains and hair shedding. Not been brave enough to post anything until I saw yours but I am beginning to feel the cure is worse than the illness, is it worth it to feel so low all the time. We have been married for many years and have always had a good, loving sex life but that has all gone, hope someone has some good suggestions, feeling very low xx

Hi Jaybee,

I just wanted to let you know you’re most definitely not alone :womansad: I don’t want to go into detail here but I feel the same as you about this, any with all my other SEs, being overshadowed by something, probably some kind of embarassment or guilt complex?? I, too, feel grateful and lucky to be here, I’m also keen to stay on Tamoxifen and am about to find out this month if my 5 years can be extended to 10 as I was dx at 43.

Maybe someone else on here has some advice?

Bella xx

Hello ladies, firstly I have no medical training so this is only my thoughts on the matter. I know both Tamoxifen and Letrozole have some side affects, I’m on Letrozole, On 13th September I had a WLE and full lymphnode removal because they were also affected, I was borderline for chemo but to cut a long story short I was due to start radiotherapy this coming Wednesday again the 13th. Unfortunately I’m still struggling with an infection about which I’m going to post for advice. I’ve been on the Letrozole since 27th Sept, reading about it it does sometimes cause hair to thin but I can’t see anywhere it says there will be hair loss.
What I wanted to say with the greatest respect to you could it perhaps be the whole experience of what we’re going through that’s causing the loss of libido. Due to my infection I won’t even stand near anyone on that side in case they turn catch me accidentally. I’ve shown my boobs to more people the past couple of months than ever in my life. Whether it be a mastectomy or of my choice a WLE it changes how we look and how we feel about our bodies. But it goes deeper than the surface feelings, we don’t feel well, being sick or always feeling sick isn’t exactly sexy or alluring to us never mind anyone else.
I wonder if you chatted to one of the nurses on here privately you may find some help, they’re trained and experienced and I wouldn’t think for one minute any of them wouldn’t take you seriously or haven’t come across this before. The bc nurses at my hospital are super and very helpful. I only say privately in case you wished to talk in more depth.

Whichever you decide I hope you soon find things improving.

Peg x

I am also on alterable and have no libido what so ever. If anything, I have negative libido- the whole concept seems rather revolting. I don’t really want to be a breastless, sexless creature but am short on ideas. 

This problem is both psychological and physical. Hormones are very much impacted by treatment. It is a relief to realise that it isn’t just me but am still lost as to any possible solutions.

I still can’t imagine doing anything yet at 45 I also feel I am too young to have no physical relationship ahead of me. My husband is neither pushy nor turned off in anyway by my surgery, its just that its if someone created a powerful lidibo vacuum cleaner and sucked it all out of me.

No, they dont. Although one might argue that it is a small price to pay- but then it isnt because so much of what is lost is to do with femininity. The difficult bit is that you have to face this properly after the main bit of chemo is over and it feels like support staff just vanish. the emotional stuff is left for you to deal with alone and it packs just as big a punch.

Well , I do hope it goes well. At the moment I feel that I need to find a way of managing with things as they are; I dont have the nerve to stop medication. I have heard that Macmillan do sessions incinjunction with Relate… Its rather a shame to think I could use up the rest of my 40s feeling like this.