Lined up my phones, waiting for the call for first appointment

Hi

I have been reading some of the incredible stories here and it feels so weird that only three weeks ago I found a lump and I can’t think of the time before that moment where I slept through the night without any real worries.

I haven’t googled, but I need to know a bit more regarding the situation I am in as that’s what is keeping me awake and making me emotional, I hope you can help?

I found a lump three weeks ago, saw the doctor who said come back after your period. The following week without any sign of my period, I went back as I was constantly checking and found two lumps and also I have some dull breast ‘ache’ and arm pit pain. A different doctor this time, who examined me more thoroughly she felt that the lumps would still be there regardless of waiting on my period and so I am now waiting on the appointment, she mentioned I would be fast tracked. If I haven’t had the call by tomorrow lunchtime I need to call her and she will chase them.

My lumps are round hard bumps, doesn’t move, I have two of them. Can you please share your lumpy waiting stories with me please?

Xxx

Hi Stephanie, you’ll have gathered from the stories on here that universally, the waiting is the worst so you are completely normal there. My lumpy waiting story was that I found a lump in my right breast last September. I was never one for checking my breasts so just found it when I had an itch. I decided it would be nothing so gave it a month and when it hadn’t changed, went to see my GP. He said he was obliged to send me to get it checked out - appointment took 3 weeks but probably sent as a non-urgent since neither my GP nor I were particularly concerned … oops!
Anyway, long story short, it turned out to be a 1.8cm invasive ductal carcinoma which was removed along with sentinel nodes in November. Now I know everyone can’t be as fortunate as me but I guess I’m sharing because despite the delay I had no spread, had radiotherapy January in to February and now feel pretty much back to normal (with a pretty symmetrical pair of boobs too!).
Having been too blasé at the outset I then worried about every stage of the treatment but actually none of it was as bad as I had imagined.
Hope it goes well for you, Stephanie, and you’ll have gathered there is loads of support on here.
Hugs,
Kitt
X

Hi Stephanie,

I found my lump they day after boxing day ive always checked my breasts regularly snd there was the lump, felt other breast, i screamed , good job my neighbour in flat above me is deaf, hed have thought i was being murdered! lol. got out of bath text one of my friends  she gave the usual reassuring stuff people say, but somehow i knew right from then it was, made appointment not till the wed after xmas hols another hold up but my doctors were great, got hospital appointment quickly, and yes it was cancer, had lump removed end Jan, and as first lymth node was suspect they took all others in my left arm. I think once out i did feel better, at least it had gone, but another wait to see surgeon, other nodes all clear, so he said chemo up to me, butwhen i saw oncologist, he said chemo would make little difference and tamoxifen and rads would be fine. Possibly im lucky but just wanted to reassure you it can be straightforward, i feel fine, have never felt ill, awaiting rads, and tamoxifen doesent seem to have many side effects. Hope  you are as fortunate, but the waiting is the worst june

Hope it goes well for you on Saturday, Stephanie …don’t let me give you the impression that I was cool, calm and collected when I was at your stage of the journey . Snot-monster was closer to the mark (mostly in private because if I get sympathy when I cry I just can’t stop!) but it passes !
It’s so much better once you know what you’re dealing with and have a plan. I haven’t heard of anyone receiving definitive results on the same day - mine was a week after biopsy and some ladies seem to wait longer, so don’t be too disappointed if you don’t know as much as you hope to after Saturday. My surgeon did tell me at my first appointment that he expected it to be cancer based on the radiology but not confirmed until the following week.
Hugs,
Kitt
X

Hopefully I’m wrong and your centre do things differently - maybe someone else can share if they’ve had same day results but certainly at mine, by the time I got my results a week post biopsy, the MDT had met (surgeon, radiologist and pathologist) so they had a plan in place for me. Really sorry to add to your worries but guess it will be a bonus if your centre have found a way to speed up the process.
Keep in touch.
Hugs,
Kitt
X

Hi Stephanie
Just saying hallo and sending you best wishes for tomorrow. I noticed the tiniest pucker in my breast just before Xmas and thought it was a stretch mark, not really concerned. Went to my GP after Xmas who referred me to the Breast Clinic. Pretty well knew when they decided to do a biopsy there that it was probably iffy. My results took 2 weeks, you’re very lucky to get them same day, which is great. Turned out to be Grade 3 invasive but no nodes involved. It’s been a much more emotional time than I ever expected. I thought I’d just get on and cope with it but the reality was very different. However, you’re feeling, scared, worried for your family, why me, perhaps and above all very shocked is how we’ve all felt at some time. I had some spectacular meltdowns, one in the local supermarket!! However, it is amazing just how much strength you will find within yourself to get through things. Of course, i’m hoping your results are good, not everyone gets bad news, but if they aren’t what you hoped for, you’ll get through it. This forum has been a lifeline for me, so keep posting. Sending you hugs and will be thinking of you on Saturday. Xx

Hi Stephanie

It’s c****isn’t it. Still, all we can do is be there for each other and have a good snivel when we can! I can’t imagine that anyone gets through all this stuff without one. It must be so much harder for you with a little one to look after as well. My husband of 40 yrs seemed to take it in his stride but only told me recently that he was terrified most of the time, so your OH may not feel as laid back as you think. Be thinking of you tomorrow. Please let me know how you get on, when or if you feel up to it xx

Hi June. Good for you. You have a lifetime of experience to offer. I actually started my own business at 60 but took a big gamble to do it, selling my house to fund it. Mad person! I iIt’s been very hard and many times I wanted to give up but I’m still going. When I was first diagnosed I lost all interest in it and nearly lost it. Went through a bad time emotionally and seriously contemplated just walking away from it and my OH. However, going thro treatment has somehow given me a new desire to fight on and the old cliche, good things can come out of bad, is true perhaps. Keep going. X Francine

Hi Stephanie,
You’re tougher than you think at the moment, lovely!
What time is your appointment tomorrow? We’ll all be sending you positive vibes!
Hugs,
Kitt
X

Oh Stephanie, phew!! That’s fantastic news! You’ll sleep tonight for sure?
Hope you’re celebrating this evening.
Kitt
Xx

Hi Stephanie … Reading your results is reassuring … I went for my first breast check last Tuesday … I’ve been on HRT for 4 years after a full hyst I was 40 & strong link to ovarian cancer and I’d been having issues so decided to eliminate it !! . I requested the check based on many friends being diagnosed and my years on HRT .
I was completely stunned when I left the clinic 4 hrs later having had 2 mamos , ultrasound and 2 left breast biopsys and axillary lymph node … I’m waiting on a call back with results … waiting is driving me mad . I’ve convinced myself it’s bad news but reading your outcome has given me a glimmer of hope . I didn’t think I’d had any breast changes as can’t feel the lumps but when I think about it my left breast has been itchy and sore for some months , I’ve large boobies so quiet used to them feeling full and sore … I’m also wondering of HRT is the cause of this … Take care ladies xx Jan

They said a week so I’m hoping tues/wed I’ve requested a call rather than a letter couldn’t stand any more delays … The sooner I know the sooner I know what I’m dealing with xx Jan

I’m still waiting to hear , day 8 !!! I get a wash of panic over me every time the phone rings . Xx

Hhhmmmm makes you wonder June , I’m considering coming off mine, I’m sure I’m repeating myself here (earlier post poss) I’ve been on it 4 years after full hyst , I’m 45 now , when I first started it they messed around with the dose and I was at one point on 80mg ? massive dose I got huge full sore boobs I’m already a 28FF (I’m tiny , 4’10 size 6) but they grew !! I couldn’t stand the pain , after googling it was too much estrogen … I asked the doc if I could lower the dose as I wasn’t happy , they said keep trying they will settle down !! I gave it 3 months then changed. I’ve been happy with what I’ve been on , no symptoms . But now with this looming over me I’m rethinking …

Steph I rang on Thursday they said they didn’t have any results on the screen to discuss … On Tuesdays it’s a full 2 weeks surely It can’t be any longer , my expectations were a week as stated by the nurse … But maybe 2 is the norm xx