Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lipofil

15 REPLIES 15
sanjo

Re: Lipofil

Dear All,

Just a quick Thank you for all the useful info you've been posting about lipofil.

I had a lump removed followed by radiotherapy 3 years ago and have been putting up with bras that don't fit and being very self conscious since. My consultant suggested lipo-remodelling last year when I finally decided to ask about reconstruction and I have my surgery scheduled for next Friday! I have been out today and bought "Bridget Jones" pants and support bras.... and have reorganised my work and told my very bemused and intrigued colleagues that I will be off for a week to 10 days.

This procedure is relatively new and only just arriving in Cornwall so although I feel reasonably well informed about what to expect your comments and info have been invaluable. Thanks again x

karenr

Whooo Thank You No1Mummy.

I didn't know the pic had been taken at the time, but my recon does look good don't you think!

No1Mummy

Thanks for the update Bonny - it's good to hear the details of what's actually involved. Karen - yes, I will definitely ask about this at my next appointment. Has anyone had this done at Wythenshawe in Manchester?

PS Karen - love the bikini picture - how fab do you look!

karenr

Hi Bonny

I am so pleased to hear that you have now had your lipofil and are at pleased with the result. I found that after time, the shape got better and better.

I don't think ALL hospitals are doing this procedure yet but I would definatatley ask about it No1Mummy

Hugs to you all
Karen x

bonny1

I started this thread back in March when I was due to have lipofil and was asking for info from anyone who’d had this procedure. Well I finally I had it done yesterday after a couple of delays through a cold and then holidays, and thought I’d let you know how it went for me, as I always want to know as much as possible about things before they happen.

I would say from the start that I’m really impressed and would definitely recommend it.

I had an indention at the top of my reconstructed breast and my PS said it could be done with lipofil. I was apprehensive about having a general anaesthetic because I am usually very sick afterwards but I was OK. I was only in theatre for 90mins and woke up in post op feeling very bright and was allowed home later that evening.

My PS took the ‘dog ears’ left on my stomach scar from the tram flap surgery and injected the fat into the indentation, he didn’t need to take any more fat from anywhere else. The breast is a bit bruised looking although it doesn’t hurt at all and the two small dog ear wounds are a little sore but its bearable and I’m taking paracetamol for a couple of days to ease it, plus I was given antibiotics for 5 days

On Friday I‘m due to have the dressings removed and the stitches taken out from the dog ear wounds. There are thin adhesive dressings on my breast but when I run my hand over where the indentation used to be it feels lovely and flat. So keeping my fingers crossed it doesn’t change.

The only instruction from my PS was not to wear a bra for 10 days as would push the breast upwards and at this early stage I could end up with another indentation.

After the pain and trauma of a mastectomy and reconstructive surgery, this was a walk in the park. At nearly 70 I’m no spring chicken and I feel so good I even did some gardening this morning.

Hope this has been of some help.

Best wishes to you all
Bonny

No1Mummy

Karen - that's interesting to read - I think I will ask about Lipofil at my next appointment - it's never been mentioned to me so maybe they don't do it at my hospital though.

karenr

Hi Ladies

Just had to put my bit in regards to the lipofil. I had a bilateral mastectomy in Nov 07 with immediate recon using expander implants. after radiotherapy i was told that i would probably have to wear a prostesthis for the rest of my life as the skin was so thin and damaged from the radio. Thankfully my surgery to have the expanders exchanged for implants was postponed as another surgeon then took over. He took me under his wing and had 2 lots of lipofill that was taken from my inner and outer thighs. I now have permanent implants ad had nipple recon and the results are amazing. They are soft and feel and look like normal breasts. I can even wear a bikini without anyone knowing. I definatley give the Lipofil a big thumbs up.

Karen x

hemajo

Kitten

Are you still in touch with your breast care nurse? She should be able to advise you about what you are entitled to.
I should think it would be available on the NHS - it certainly should be as far as I am concerned.
I asked my GP to refer me to the plastic surgeon, and she was more than happy to oblige.
This also meant the '18 week' rule applied, you have to be seen within that time scale. I believe this doesn't apply to inter-hospital referals.
I ended up getting called in very quickly for my surgery after my appointment with the consultant, as there must have been a cancellation.
It has certainly boosted my self esteem.
I'm sorry you are feeling low just now, and I hope you get positive response re reconstruction surgery.

hemajo

Hi,
I would like to join in this discussion. I hope that is ok?
I tend to 'lurk' around on this site, even though I've been registered ever since I was diagnosed in 2007.

I had reconstruction in May (free tram).

My new breast is a great shape in the bra, but I too have some lumpy bumpy bits in the cleavage area. I haven't yet had my post op appointment with my surgeon, but am hoping he will offer some lipofill to make a really good job into a fantastic job!

At the moment it is a little unsightly to wear clothes showing my cleavage, but it is wonderful to have two breasts again.

My other 'real' breast may need to be lifted as well, to match the new one.

I'll be getting a nipple at some point too.

I now have a flat tummy (as the surgery I had is also effectively a tummy tuck), but there is still some fat at the sides of my waist, which I'd be happy for them to use!

My surgical breast nurse says lipofill is definitely a procedure the surgeon uses, and she also said, he'll continue to do cosmetic touches until he is happy with the breast, nevermind me being happy!!

My only concern is the knock on effect to my work and sickness record. Although I believe that they usually leave a fair gap between all these tweaks and improvements.

I also wonder about what type of bras to wear - underwired or not. I am now past the 6 weeks of sports bra day and night, but still uncomfortable without a bra on, just for the short time a shower takes.
I have a whole lot of bras that do fit, I'm just not sure if they are suitable!

kitten448

I have never heard of this procedure so am very intrigued. I had my lumpectomy in 2001 and have always been horrified at the way my breast looks now. My husband has, up til recently, always said it makes no difference to him but I hate that bras don't fit properly and I always end up padding them out with "chicken fillets"! Now I have discovered my husband has been having an affair with a woman 12 years younger than me and, obviously, she has great boobs! My confidence is at an all time low and I have been considering reconstruction surgery for a while now. Lipofil sounds like a much better option tho and I was wondering how you go about finding more info on this? Is this available all over the country, is it a private thing or is it available on the NHS? Be grateful for any info you can give!

bonny1

Thanks Katherine, hope mine is as successful as yours!

Bonny

kgango

Hi,

I've had lipofil twice - once last october and the second time last month (together with nipple recon). The first time my surgeon took the fat from my stomach and the second time from my thighs. It was more painful from my stomach, but i had more bruising on my thighs. I had to wear support pants/cycling shorts for a couple of weeks, but it wasn't that bad and i'm delighted with the results (i can't stop looking in the mirror). Like you i had a dip along the top and my cleavage was uneven, even though in a bra i looked the same size.
My surgeon told me some women need 3 goes at it to get it right, but I think mine is fine now.
Good luck!
Katherine

bonny1

Thanks for your comments. Unfortunately my surgery had to be postponed as I has a cold so I still haven't had it and am now waiting for a date, but have been told it will be April or May.
I'm very pleased with the shape and size of my new breast but have a dip along the top of it which is going to be filled. I have no idea where they are taking the fat from, was yours taken from the stomach? and what is feeling at the donor site and the breast itself, does it all feel bruised and how long does it last? Sorry to bombard you with so many questions but am wondering how long I will be out of action, or if at all. Any info will be very welcome.

Bonny

buff40

Hi Bonny. I hope your surgery went well. I have had 2 diferent ops to get fat for my first reconstruction which shrunk after radiotherapy, to get it the same size as my second reconstruction and to 'soften' it a bit. i stayed the night of the op on both occasions and had a general aneasthetic.
It is not pleasant but i have been very pleased with the result and am contemplating a third amount so the cup sizes are more a match as my bras still pucker on the first side.
i found pressure garments essential and if you need advice re garments for stomach or thigh lipo just let me know.

Sam_BCC

Hi Bonny

Whilst you wait for the other user to reply with thier advice and experiences please feel free to contact the BCC helpline if you would like more information.

The number to call is 0808 800 6000 and the lines are open Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm and Saturday 10am to 2pm.

I hope you find this helpful.

Kind regards
Sam (BCC Facilitator)

bonny1

Lipofil

I'm due to have lipofil on my recon breast next Friday. Is there anyone who has experience of this and if so can they tell me what to expect. I thought it would be a simple procedure with a local anesthetic but I'm told it will be a general and I will be staying in overnight.

Bonny