Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Liver biopsy

12 REPLIES 12
Carolyn52

Re: Liver biopsy

Hiya Didi
I think its standard to say to bring relative with you in most letters I've had.
Try not to stress too much as cancer thrives on stress ...says me that last week spent two days on the loo with the scan results crash diet !!! The one that cried before I went in to clinic etc !
It's a very hard roller coaster . But we all will send positive vibes and fairy dust for a good appointment.
Hugs xxxx☝
didi62

Hi all hope everyone is doing ok.i got letter for oncology appt today.it isn't till 8th July which seems so far away  but in a way I don't want it to come quicker.i am terrified of what I will be told.on the letter it says'you are welcome to bring a relative or friend with you'.no other letter has ever said this so I know it is going to be bad results.think I may start the anxiety medication I was prescribed a week ago but too scared to start it before!!goodness this is all so hard to deal with.best wishes didi x

Carolyn52

Well done didi
Sounds like you have been a very brave little soldier ..so get some rest and relax now at home.
🎀🎀🎀🎀
Barton

Hello didi - glad to read you are home safe. Doesn't sound pleasant, but, apart from the results, obpver and done with. Good luck for when you get the results. Do you have a date for that yet?

Hugs. Barton.x

didi62

Hi I am home after a night in hospital after biopsy.the 2nd local injection was very painful but fine after that.was on the oncology ward so rather scary with some very ill people there.got no sleep due to noise but staff were all so lovely.hope everyone is doing ok didi x

didi62

Thanks all .dreading the biopsy but dread going for the results more.doubt I will get much sleep tonight.take care all didi x

Waffles

Good luck tomorrow Didi. xxx

Carolyn52

All the best for tomorrow ..aagh bed pans and commode ..
When I had my hip op last year ..they kept bringing around jugs of water to flush anaesthetic through and of course knock on effect to the bladder !! Dignity goes right out of window !!!
Hugs xxx
didi62

Thanks Nicky I rang up and leaflet was correct.eat light breakfast but can drink still.don't think I will drink much as if I have to lie in bed for 6hours after I would hate the thought of having to use a bedpan for the first time!!it is awful how we are left to chase things up.i hate having to ring people to ask things.well this time tomorrow it will be done then the agony of waiting for the results and oncology appointment..didi x

nicky08
Community Champion

Hi didi

Unfortunately on many occasions I've had to chase and check with the various hospitals I have been to and make sure I have the correct info. I can't believe we have to do this. However over the period of 8 yers I've had mets I have learnt that this is what most of us have to do. I now question everything that isn't clear - much to the annoyance of all the medical staff who I do question! However, as its my life, not theirs, I will keep doing this. Recently in the newspapers there was a report from an oncologist (I think, certainly a medical doctor) who said that we all should chase up our care and treatment plans as the ones that get missed are the ones who have the poorest outcome - yikes!

Hope you got some answers and can be a bit more reassured for tomorrow.

Nicky x

didi62

Thanks Nicky for that information.very helpful.i am just confused as I had received no letter about this procedure just a phone call last week of the time and date.yesterday I went to the hospital to find someone who could give me details of it.she went off for 25 minutes and came back with a leaflet that said eat light breakfast but could drink.but on another piece of paper she had written oncology ward phone number to ring tomorrow to check there is a bed for me and nil by mouth.when we looked at the leaflet she crossed out nil by mouth.i think I had better ring oncology ward to double check what I should do.i'm very upset that I am having to chase things up at such a stressful time.if they can't even send me a letter I worry about the rest of the care I will be receiving.

best wishes to you didi x

nicky08
Community Champion

Hi

I had a liver biopsy done in 2013 - a my insistence as at that point my bone mets, which I'd had for 5 years, had now spread to my liver and I wanted my receptor status checked. Thank goodness I did have it done as, after 10 years of being HER2-, my status changed to HER2+ which has now opened up a different range of treatments for me.

Anyway, I'm rattling on here! I can't remember about the liquids but if your own hospital has given you guidance I would go with what they say. The internet you will get other opinions which may not be correct for you. I know when I have a CT scan I used to be told not to eat or drink for 4 hours before but other hospitals insist on 6 hours - so they are all different. The only thing I would say I'd make sure, if you take any meds at all, including paracetamol and more importantly aspirin, you let them know, you should not take any blood thinning drugs for at least 24 hours in advance. The leaflet I had failed to tell me this so I questioned them and they rapidly told me to stop. However it meant I had a postponement of the procedure.

You will have a local anaesthetic and the biopsy is ultrasound guided so they can get to the lesion that is easiest to access. I was surprised that they went in just under my ribs as I thought it would be lower down. You lie on your side whilst they do it and it can be uncomfortable rather than painful. It's an odd sensation presumably like having a baby with an epidural - you won't feel the pain but would feel the sensation if you get what I mean. Afterwards you have to lie fairly still for a few hours in case of bleeding, which is the only risk I think. I wasn't in any pain after, or none that caused a problem, but I'm sure you can have normal painkillers if needed. From what I remember it's best not to google the videos about the procedure! It's not the smallest of needles and I preferred to let the doctor get on with it as you can't see as you are turned on your side.

Good luck and do ask anything else before tomorrow, I will check the forum later.

Nicky x

didi62

Liver biopsy

hi could anyone tell me when they had a liver biopsy done,were you able to drink up until close to the procedure?the leaflet I was given said eat light breakfast but can still drink.on the internet I had read you had to stop drinking a few hours before it was done.also were you in pain much after it?i have been given no information on this procedure so would appreciate any help.i have it done this Wednesday .many thanks didi x